Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

san jose , California
2006 Bambi 16' quick connect propane fitting?

Does the 2006 Bambi 16' have the low pressure quick connect? Getting ready to pick up a used one, but want to get the right grill/setup depending in if this was an option in 2006. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
No.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
I do but I haven't used it. We have a small grill with the propane bottles. It's just been too convenient to mess with the quick connect. I'm interested in what folks do however!
Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

san jose , California
Ok, thanks. Using the little bottles isn't too much hassle, but the quick connect seemed more convenient.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I just last nite completed an installation of a quick-connect on my 2008 Safari Sport. It took me awhile to get up the courage for this seemingly complex modification, but I finally got around to it. (The only difficult part was visualizing the brass fittings necessary, but the hardware store allowed me to lay it out on the counter to get the complete picture, and it really wasn't bad at all. If you're someone who's comfortable with plumbing fittings and the differences between OD and Nominal sizes of such fittings, then you can do the entire ordering from Amazon, including the Olympic hoses and QCs.)

I want to use a remote camp stove and also a remote "Cajun boiler" type of burner and don't want to mess with hauling around those little LPG bottles (illegal in some circumstances and downright dangerous in closed compartments...although I have plenty of them around the place due to lawn equipt. that uses them...and I also re-charge them from spare 20 lb bottles for economy.)

What I did was disconnect the rubber hose leading from the tongue-mounted bottles from the brass fitting which connects to the rest of the trailer. (Rereading this I realized that wasn't clear... I made the disconnect down beneath the A-frame.)
I went to ACE hardware and bought a 3-way NPT "Tee", and the necessary 5/8" nipple to connect the hose to the "T", then hooked the other side of the T back to the main system where the hose previously connected. (IF you do this job, think about the sequence in which you want to make these connections. You'll want to assemble all the NPT fittings before the compression and flares.)

Next, using a NPT/1/2"Compression adaptor screwed into the mid-point of the T, and about 20" of soft copper 1/2" tubing, with the opposite end of the tubing connected via another 1/2" Comp. adapter to a 1/2 x 1/4 reducer-bushing to a Quick-Connector. I mounted it all beneath the A-frame beneath the battery so the QC is accessible from the curb-side of the trailer. I secured it to the battery cross-member supports using EMT (electrical conduit) clamps.

With a matching 10' hose (with QC's on each end, available from Camco for the Olympic stoves) this allows me to hook up any remote cooker I desire a safe distance from the trailer.

I'll try to post a pic (Never having done that at this forum before.)

Total cost was about $30 for brass fittings and copper tubing, and another $40 for the hoses and connectors.

Happy. Very happy.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

san jose , California
Nice write up and congrats on this nice upgrade. Definitely more convenient than carrying the extra bottles.

Would be interested in seeing pictures when you have time.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
OK...I uploaded pics to the website... (What an unfriendly method)

As you can see, I welded a couple of short pieces of 1" square tubing beneath the battery crossmembers to attach the EMT clamps to. The average guy may not be so handy with a welder,...and hose clamps might do just as well.

Also, not quite evident in the pics. the lower pic includes a 45-degree bend in the soft copper tubing to make the alignment between the "T" at the a-frame and the first mount underneath the battery crossmembers. This can be done by hand with soft tubing. (This is 1/2" tubing.) Use pipe-dope on the NPT fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QuickConnect.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	269625   Click image for larger version

Name:	QuickConnect2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	269626  

Old 08-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
I hope you guys can all disregard all the other junk lying around the hangar floor.

In this view, you are kneeling on the roadside of the trailer looking across, beneath the A-frame.
In the above pic, on the left comes the rubber hose down from the dual-regulator...to a nipple...to the "T"...to the OEM NPT/Flare and onto the trailer.
On the opposite side from this view, 1/2" tubing leads to the quick-connect via a couple of compression fittings.

In this view, on the roadside of the trailer, looking downward.
Here's an overhead view that might lend a better visualization of the 45-degree bend (hidden beneath the angle making up the battery crossmember) necessary in the tubing (to align with the battery crossmember from the A-frame) and a view of the NPT/compression fitting that ties the tubing to the "T". Another such fitting on the opposite end, and a reducer to get down to the 1/4" quick-connect fitting is all that's left. (See that in the first pic of the series in the previous post.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QC3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	269627   Click image for larger version

Name:	QC4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	269628  

Old 08-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #9