Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
2005 Bambi - Why or Why Not?

My wife and I have never owned a Travel Trailer but we've been looking for well over 1 year and visited several Airstream Dealers, etc. It's hard not to jump on a 2015 but that's a big step for us rookies. We are looking at a 2005 Bambi CCD that has our interest. My question is:
Why would I not want to purchase a 2005 model? What am I going to miss by not purchasing a newer model - other than my $$$. We are OK with the size and love the CCD package. We had considered nothing less than the 25' but we don't plan to spend our time in the trailer - more time outside. I like all the LED lights and the new stuff but what is missing that really matters from the 2005?

Thanks so much in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinion.

Jon Thomas
joncolethomas@gmail.com
817-313-3357
jonthms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

I would say that if you have looked carefully at the 2015s and the 2005, and you can't find anything missing that matters to you, then there probably isn't anything. The major systems don't change radically, just the bells and whistles.

That being said, one thing that I would say is definitely missing buying practically any used trailer, that you will get with a new one, is a warranty. So just be cautious--a 10 year old trailer can have a lot of the potential problems that a 30 year old trailer may have, ie., leaks, rotten floors, and expensive repairs. But, if the price is right in the first place, and you are willing to take the risk (and you do a thorough inspection before purchase), then all may be well. It is a lot like buying a used car instead of a new one. I've personnally never bought a new car, and I know people who wouldn't think of buying a used one.

I would question your change of heart on the trailer size. I too take the attitude that I don't intend to do much more than sleep in the trailer, but I find those 19' trailers a bit closterphobic (I assume its a 19' you are talking about). Are you changing your mind about the desired size only because this 2005 Bambi is available?

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We bought an 8 year old trailer. I would never spend the money for a new one, until they remove the wood floor construction. Buying a trailer a few years old, we didn't get the latest trim, but then we haven't felt bad about changing things to suit our tastes. The 19' can work nicely for two people.
Buying used, I could probably still get what I paid 6 years later. You could buy the 19', use it for a year, and take a minimal hit if you then decide to sell and move up in size. Much less than the depreciation on a new one.
Problems? Just a few small maintenance issues - nothing big. Make sure that everything works - plug in the trailer to an outlet, open an LP tank and turn on the refrig, hot water heater, furnace, stove, A/C one by one. Some water in the tank, turn on the water pump and check all the faucets. CCD? check the floor under the front windows for soft spots. Open the outside storage door under the back window, and check the floor in there for soft spots. Check under any factory installed carpet you may find in that compartment.
Pay a fair price for a good trailer, and you can't go too wrong.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks for the information. I should have said that we haven't actually looked at the 2005 trailer yet. Only pictures so far and other than cosmetic differences I was wondering more about any significant wiring or equipment changes that are less desirable in the 2005 model. Obviously big changes with the ducted air in the 2015 but I don't know if things like the refrigerator works in Propane or Electric, etc in the 2005 models. We really are rookies. Yes, 19' is what we are talking about.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We have a 2006 19' Bambi CCD that we bought used and LOVE it. We have had it for 5 years now and there were a couple issues that came up last year but all the money we saved made it less painful to repair. We keep up on all the maintenance and have made some improvements over the years and it still looks like new, we also could sell it for what we have in it. Spending close to twice what we paid for it for a new one didn't make any sense and buying used kept us from going into debt to boot! Look it over carefully and check everything out but I'm sure you would be happy with a used trailer. This shows our new floor and we changed the colors from green to red, this year we are going to change the edge banding and T moulding Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423838386.109717.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	232323Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1423838440.742623.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	232324
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthms View Post
Thanks for the information. I should have said that we haven't actually looked at the 2005 trailer yet. Only pictures so far and other than cosmetic differences I was wondering more about any significant wiring or equipment changes that are less desirable in the 2005 model. Obviously big changes with the ducted air in the 2015 but I don't know if things like the refrigerator works in Propane or Electric, etc in the 2005 models. We really are rookies. Yes, 19' is what we are talking about.

For the Bambi you won't have ducted air, it's only available on 25' or bigger. The 05 will have a smaller AC (11,000 BTU new ones have 13,500 plus a heat pump) and the electronics like the TV and stereo will be older but easily replaced. The main thing is to check for leaks and make sure the floor is solid. We have inspectors throughout the US that can help you for little or no charge.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I will only add that you need to go look at one and both of you lay down on the bed. It is 48" wide which is fine if you spoon, but can get a little tight if you both like to spread out. The dinette drops down to make another bed, but can get tiresome making and tearing apart a bed every night.

But try it. They are easier to tow with an SUV, you'll have more choices of where you can fit to park and camp, and they hold their value better than the larger trailers. If you decide to move up in size later on, (as we did) you shouldn't experience a large depreciation.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
One plus side to buying a used trailer is often that if well cared for, the previous owner already worked out the bugs and probably made some improvements. Just check the floor for soft spots to make sure you don't have any leak issues, those can be major work to deal with.

If you feel comfortable in the bambi, I would echo Mojo's comments, that they are easy to tow, easy to park, easy to be squeezed into a spot a bigger trailer couldn't go. We really like our little trailer. When we bought it we were told we would quickly upgrade, but this is our 12th season with it and we're still happy. You are right that we spend a lot of time outside, but it's cozy and comfortable on rainy days inside too.

Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Pops

Currently Looking...
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with buying used. Like yourself, I am new to the trailer scene and I found asking some questions on this forum was most helpful. The folks and their comments are great. I just recently purchased a 2012 19 ft. International and it is in great condition. In my search there are a few things I found out: everyone lists and thinks their trailer is in excellent condition. The prices are fairly high and there is not much used inventory. I searched throughout the country and on the Airstream Classifieds and it is slim pickings. Do not buy unless you or someone can inspect. Be prepared to make the commitment quickly as a good trailer sells fast. Be prepared to broaden your horizon and go get it if you find something. Don't quibble over a few bucks, your trailer will hold its value if you take care of it. I live in Washington DC and purchased my trailer in Seattle. Fortunately, my daughter and fiancé live there and they were able to inspect, verify its condition, and they will use it as well. I will make a drive cross country with the tow vehicle in the late spring. Pricing is a very difficult issue. I found thorough scanning of the classifieds gave me a good range for what to expect, be cautious with someone who is asking for outlier price and do your homework. It took me about 3 months of activity to make my buy. Lastly, I left numerous responses to some classifieds and never received a reply. It is frustrating to express interest in a posted trailer. I could only assume many of the trailers still being listed have sold. Even so, a reply indicating such would be nice. best of luck to you.
ole57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
Wow! you guy's are great and I really appreciate the comments. The Seller sent me something like 40 pictures. This trailer appears to be in great shape but I know I need to get beneath the cosmetics. The other thing that has me concerned is it has been stored uncovered for most of the 10 years. My local Dealership (not where the Trailer is located) didn't seem to think that mattered as long as there wasn't any outside damage - Hail, water leaks, etc. Still concerns me. Although, the trailer has been re-sealed where needed and as recommended by the current owners dealer and I'm told no water leaks.
Guess I'm going to make the trip across country to check it out. Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good luck, that sounds very promising. Sounds like the owner took care of it, and is trying to be honest by sharing so much information. I hope you find good things when you finally get your eyes on it in person!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I purchased a 2006 19' 4 1/2 years ago with the idea that it would get my feet wet with travel trailer camping and later trade for what I really wanted. 4 1/2 years later the 19' still fits my needs for a weekend/weekly camper.

My friend just purchased a 2005 19' CCD and she loves it. It appears to have sat outside its entire life but otherwise was well cared for.

One day a 25' may be in my future when retired.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
Well, we had a changed of heart. We've decided not to purchase the 19' and have narrowed it down to a 2015 23FB International. It appears to be very similar to the 19' but with a larger bed, bath and more storage. A little tight on the living space but changing that would require moving up to the 25'. You can 2' yourself into bankruptcy! Thanks again for all your comments.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
Decisions, decisions, decisions - and just like that - we decided against the 23FB. Heading to Virginia next week to look at the 2005, International CCD 19'!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, there will be three major differences between a new trailer and the 2005 model; The 2005 most likely will need new battery/batteries, new tires, and don't expect the tank monitoring system to work.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:24 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks Robert. I was concerned about those things as well. The current owner replaced both Tires and Batteries this past June. Also, wheel bearings repacked at the same time. Everything is suppose to be in working order but we are going to hook it up and test it out - the best we can. Most importantly e are praying for truth and wisdom. Thank you for sharing your experience. If you think of anything else please let me know.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #17

Olathe , Kansas
Look for signs of leaking and check the front under the dinette area, if there is any discoloration on the linoleum there may be or have been a a leak. Make sure the floor is solid throughout. Ask the PO when they had the roof and any seams resealed, if they never have the will need to be looked after ASAP. Also test everything to make sure it's all working. Good luck and print off an inspection list to take with you but it sounds like you may have found a good one.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Ft Worth , Texas
We finally did it - purchased a 2016 Bambi 19 International Serenity! We got so close on a number of other deals but this was the one for us and we love it! Still trying to figure out how to make the bed but after a wrestling match the bed and I called it a draw! Any suggestions?