Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
2005 Bambi Walkthrough Inspection

Friday was great. Got to walk through our newly ordered Bambi and it turned out all right. The outside was just about perfect. They got everything we ordered correct. All systems worked fine. No leaks found. There were only two things that were somewhat disappointing ...

1. We ordered the Ultra-Leather sofa instead of the dinette. The ultraleather material used to cover the sofa and arms was a different color than the (I think vinyl) material used to cover the bottom of the sofa (the part that drops down to access the storage underneath). We plan to re-cover in leather after the unit is paid for so we'll probably just live with this variation in color.

2. The manual stabilizer jacks. When we ordered, we were looking at an International CCD and it had a nice tip on the end of the jack screw that you could attach a bit to and use a cordless drill for settiing the stabilizer jacks. The tip was real handy in that it came all the way out to the edge of the trailer. There was a Safari 25 nearby and it had the same jacks so we figured that was what we were getting.

Nope. We got the old fashioned jack with the long crank handle that has a funny connecting piece on the end. Also, the tip of the jack is undeneath the trailer and about nine inches reach inside. You really have to get down on your hands and knees to reach under and see to attach the funny connecting device on the long crank handle. I don't know what Airstream was thinking. The other system was so easy and handy and this one seems so cheap and hard to get to.

I told the dealer that this would not work and it would need to be swapped out with the older style jacks. He said he would call Airstream today and see what they could do and why they switched to these units.

By the way, it isn't just Safari's that are being sent this way. We saw a new 22' CCD that just came in with the same jacks.

Will let you know what we find out later today. I don't plan to pick this unit up until they change out the jacks.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I made an emergency jack extension for mine, by your description they sound alike, it consists of a 3/8 socket extension bar with a 1/8" hole drilled in the end with a roll pin in it. The extension sits in the tool box and can be used with other sockets as well as to lower the jacks when they get stuck in the up position.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I didn't have a problem with my sofa. Perhaps the die lots were different for what was used on the sofa vs. the drop down part. You should ask that it be changed if it is that noticeable. You paid enough for it! Besides, you may turn out to be like me. I bought my Bambi thinking I would keep it forever, but am already planning my 28' Classic! If that is the case, you won't to have to recover the sofa to make it look right in order to sell it.

Good luck with the jack issue! Mine is the old lug wrench type. No problems. They come down so quick, I'm not sure I see the need to use an cordless, electric drill.

Have fun with your Bambi and post some pics when you can.....

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Yeah, I know I could rig something up. The dealer even volunteered to make me up an extension with the proper connection on the other end. I just don't like the idea of having to get down on my hands and knees and bend underneath the trailer in order to connect the extension. The other jacks, the one's we had been seeing when we ordered, come all the way out to the edge of the trailer. All you have to do is squat down and give it a zap with the Milwaukee cordless. The connection is right there in plain sight.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I thought there was something here, on the forums, a few years ago about needing to order a special-built jack for airstreams because of the curvature of the banana wraps.

Maybe the jack vendor stopped making that style of jack, or Airstream forgot to order enough of the special style.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Kudos to Airstream of South Florida, West Palm Beach, and to Airstream. Dealer just called ... Airstream is overnighting the correct set of jacks to the dealer. Looks like Wednesday is going to be the day we bring her home. We're the proverbial "Happy Campers"!