Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2005, 08:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
dmac--I agree with you-- this was obviously a larger dent that was pushed back out. What angers me about this kind of thing is that it's not something that happened after final assembly. SOMEONE saw this before the inner skin was put on and tried to cover it up. This was deliberately let go !!!!!------This deliberate action may be reason enough to demand a buy back!!!!!!---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

This may not have happened at the factory. It may have happened at the dealer or in transit to the dealer. It could have been a rock strike on your trip home. The bird that hit my trailer almost hit the windshield so I was pretty sure it hit the trailer otherwise I would be wondering what caused my dent. My bird strike is on the same panel other side and exhibits the same circular makings with out the deep center dent and it is smaller. The more mine sits in the sun the less noticeable it is becoming.

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
I'm sure it didn't happen on the way home. We live in the same city as the dealer and didn't get over 40 mph on the way home. I've included all the pictures on a CD in high resolution that our salesman is overnighting to Airstream on Monday. Can't wait to hear what Airstream has to say. Meanwhile, we are keeping our plans to change out the curtains, bedspread, mount the LCD TV, etc. on hold.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
That looks a lot like a dent that was pulled out. That stress formed aluminum radius changes color when pulled out.

I saw a hail storm cause a radius to cave in just like that. The actual impact point was not that big but that radius will cave in if hit just right. The guy used a plunger and pulled the cave in out, leaving the original impact area and the color change in the aluminum that had been pulled out by the plunger.

Does the radius, other than the actual impact point feel like it is a little lower than the surrounding area?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Nice looking Bambi in your drive.

Options - live with it or replace the panel. Can;t think of many others.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Trade it, though not really the best option.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I can't believe AS let that trailer leave the factory. That front panel is a mess. Also, I have a Bambi with a leather sofa and it looks a thousand times better than yours. Plus, mine has a brass(ette) handle on the pull down part. AS left that off yours. Will post a picture tomorrow so you can see.

I would pitch one fit for paying for dented trailer. It makes me sick to think about it. Maybe you should send what's his name at the made in America Show a picture of AS's fine work......

Here I was thinking about a Classic. Not with cr_p like that coming out of the factory.....

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Arrow Dent Issue

Well I will put in my 2 cents. I would hold AS' feet to the fire. The bottom line is that unit costs a lot. You wouldn't have a Lexus, or a Mercedes with a blemish like that an not do anything about it. Dreamstream is taking the correct approach IMO. I would push for the buyback, if that doesn't happen then I guess they get to rebuild that corner. I can't comment on the couch. I am colorblind. I looks ok to me ! lol. The window trim looks like it ws broken during install. The trim above that looks very "gradeschool shop project". Again just my 2 cents. Good luck. The Trailer looks great in your drive BTW !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Does the radius, other than the actual impact point feel like it is a little lower than the surrounding area?
Jack
I can't really tell that it feels any lower. Maybe just a tiny bit. Miriam just reminded me that the day the trailer was delivered, it was raining cats and dogs here in WPB. No hail though. I'm not sure what kind of weather it had on the rest of it's journey down here.

We've got such mixed feelings ... absolutely love the size, layout, simplicity, aerodynamics, and feeling of history that comes with this trailer ... absolutely disgusted with the sloppiness of construction. Since we took the pictures, more and more stuff keeps popping up. We have mica edges not glued down properly, mica corners have rough edges that were never filed smooth, removable sofa armrest on the right side does not fit into the frame and rests angled above.

Hope Airstream can find a way to make us feel better about our purchase.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I feel your pain!!

As I have oft posted here, my new Airstream purchased early last summer had many problems with it too, and should never have left the factory in its poor condition -- similar to what yours appears to be.

The one thing that irritated me more than anything else was that Airstream (specifically, Dave Schumann) refused to incur the cost to return my trailer to the factory for the repairs - repairs that aren't handled by a dealer. He insisted that I return the trailer to Jackson Center at my own expense - a 1000 mile round trip for me.

I assume that you'd want the factory to replace your damaged front end. If so, I'd like to know whether Airstream will pay the cost to transport your trailer to and from Jackson Center. (Not considering the extra wear and tear of 2000+ miles round trip for your trailer to and from JC.)

John
Old 03-20-2005, 07:27 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I had problems with my Bambi, but it not was a result of using recycled parts! It appears your Bambi was manufactured with salvaged/scrap parts. Geez, how disappointing.

Here is a pic. of my sofa. Not sure I know how to insert the pic into the message...

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I doubt this left the factory that way intentionally as some have suggested. I mean, seriously, I've been there and though clearly some things do get missed from time to time (remember we are all human), this could have happened at any point in the delivery process. Not trying to defend Jackson Center at all, but to claim it left the factory this way without ANY proof of this is reckless and irresponsible.

As had been suggested, the options will most likely be replacement of the outer skin via the established methods, live with it or trade it. It would be great if I thought exchange would be possible, and maybe it might happen. Having been on this forum for over two years though and reading very closely to all the QC threads I've started and hundreds have contributed, I'll tell you that the replacement of coach option is low, but not unheard of.....

Keep us in the loop, and you might even post some of your issues here to keep the QC issues for 2005 units in one place:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=2005+quality
Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #33
Craftsman

The only thing thats going to correct that unsightly spot is panel replacement. I know it must be very exciting picking up a new Airstream but I'm surprised you didn't see that before you left the dealer. It jumps out at you in the photos. As for the window trim they must be using 20 0z. framing hammers to install them.You can beat anything into submission with a good hammer. I'm sure Airstream will go out of their way to correct these problems. It could have happened in transport but it does seem logical that if it were dented it would have had to be pushed out before the inside skin were installed??????
Old 03-21-2005, 09:52 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
I know it must be very exciting picking up a new Airstream but I'm surprised you didn't see that before you left the dealer. It jumps out at you in the photos.
I know ... I keep beating myself up on this exact point. The only thing I can think of is the angles and the proximity. I can show you photos from the other side (street side) of the trailer where the damage is virtually un-noticeable. Also, if you are close to the trailer and looking up, it is hard to see. It's when you step back from the curb side of the trailer that it jumps out at you.

Also, again my fault, during the entire walkthrough, we never opened the front curtains. If I had seen the front window trim, I might have not accepted the trailer, even though this will be one of the easier things to repair.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Here is a pic. of my sofa. Not sure I know how to insert the pic into the message...
luckydc ... sure would like to see that picture. Looks like it didn't make it to the post and I can't find it in you member photos. Can you try again?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStream
luckydc ... sure would like to see that picture. Looks like it didn't make it to the post and I can't find it in you member photos. Can you try again?

Thanks.
You know, come to think of it our front window inside trim was a bit off too, but the dealer fixed it up real nice, so the issue was only brief.

My biggest window issue with the non Classic, non CCD windows so far has been that most of our windows don't seat properly. I can tell this because when I we camped in the woods, I could hear the birds clear as if the window was open. So much so, that I thought the window was open. So, I turned on the radio in the Safari with all the windows closed and found that more than half the windows didn't get a good seal around the opening part of the window......... oh yea, and that is also on the list for April.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #37
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Eric.

A few of the windows on our CCD fit kinda loose when latched, and I was mostly concerned about a leak during a horizontal type rain-storm.

I tightened up the latch levers a bit by first loosening the first nut (one that seems to hold the second in place) and then I adjusted the second nut a bit, check for window tightness, and then re-tightened the "locking" nut. When you see this, it will be obvious.

There were also some windows that required the help of Godzilla to latch, so I did the oposite of the above for a better closure.

Jonathan
Old 03-21-2005, 10:26 AM   #38

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Eric.

I tightened up the latch levers a bit by first loosening the first nut (one that seems to hold the second in place) and then I adjusted the second nut a bit, check for window tightness, and then re-tightened the "locking" nut. When you see this, it will be obvious.
Jonathan
Unfortunately Jonathan the Safari windows in Eric's trailer aren't like yours or mine in my Classic. They are purely crank knob driven. No ability to make the adjustment you speak of.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #39
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I wish I had the crank type windows sometimes. Leaning over the dinette with arms apart, and lifting two window levers up to open the front window is a back ache waiting in the wings.....

Jonathan
Old 03-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
I wish I had the crank type windows sometimes. Leaning over the dinette with arms apart, and lifting two window levers up to open the front window is a back ache waiting in the wings.....

Jonathan
Sounds like a good trade to me....I'll yank out my windows that are similar in size to your CCDs, we'll swap and will call my unit and your unit the bastardized special edition Safari.