Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Battery Monitor 16' CCD

Here is another mod that I've made to keep track of power consumption and how much is remaining. This is useful for dry camping probably more than when you have hook ups. The 16' with a single small house battery is not the ideal set up for dry camping from a battery stand point, and if you do very much you will also start looking at ways to add a larger battery, a second battery, and a portable generator. I've done all of those and can try to answer any questions. But the basic thing you have to know is how much you have, how much you're using, and how much you have left, and that's where this battery monitor is really useful. It is pretty easy to install (I have photos of the wiring - not hard to do despite the tangle of wires in the power area under the seat. There are other brands, this is the one I decided to get.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/102/p/.../1/product.asp

Take a look, let me know if you have any questions!

Bob

PS - Trying to make up for lost time here, hope this is helping! Just because we only are 16' doesn't mean we aren't busy making upgrades

Old 10-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
CCD 16' - iPod connectionto Sony Radio

Eric:
My 05 16' came with a Sony radio. There are several ways to connect an iPod to it, like an FM adapter or a cassette adapter. You can also add another box that Sony designed to allow other devices to play through the radio, called an XA 300. The link below shows this item. I added it, and it can play not only the iPod, but also a USB so I can play my computer (like watching a DVD movie) through the trailer speakers. It is pretty easy to access the radio, and I mounted the XA 300 on top of the enclosure using velcro. You can also splice into the 12 VDC wiring and put in a socket so you can keep the iPod charged while keeping everything contained in the overhead locker, or you can just plug it in to the cigar lighter under the dinette table.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pu4WVIE...300&i=158XA300

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Bob

Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Light Bulbs

my trailer is not a CCD but a Safari and I'm sure the bulbs are not halogen but just plain old 12V bulbs. I pulled a few out and can't read anything (like wattage) so I guess I will have to try a trail and error method to get a lower watt bulb.
Eric
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Modifications I've done to my 2004 16' CCD:

Frig fan (using the dtbw plans) and 5W lights.

Added my own 32W flexible solar panel but on the only dry camping outing with it we were in too much shade. Still, we made it 3 nights with cautious use. A bigger battery and an extra battery are on my list. I do have the Honda 3000 for air conditioner use but have rarely used it.

We added 2 small shelfs in the closet in front of the water heater and some mesh pockets on the inside of the closet door for keys, wallets, glasses and other small items.

I put a cut off switch on the stereo mainly to cut the panal light at night but it also saves power when dry camping.

Added a cut off valve to the shower head to save water. That way you don't loose your temp setting turning off at the hot and cold valves.

Added wedges to the backrests of the dinette and fabric covered foot stools for more comfortable sitting. Our legs aren't long enough to reach the floor comfortably and the cushions were cutting into the back of our legs.

And we have a rear view camera on the bumper that hooks up to a 4"x4" monitor in the clip on rear view mirror in the tow vehicle. Adds that little bit of extra knowledge of what's going on while driving. Indispensable when towing solo. Jamie
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
And we have a rear view camera on the bumper that hooks up to a 4"x4" monitor in the clip on rear view mirror in the tow vehicle. Adds that little bit of extra knowledge of what's going on while driving. Indispensable when towing solo. Jamie
Any pictures of this setup?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
I just put the trailer back in storage, but I have the setup out in the garage. I'll see if I can get a good photo. In the mean time, this is where I got the camera. http://www.rearviewcamera.net/crv/cr...l?mtd=products Looks like the next generation is out already as I can't find the rearview monitor I have, but some new options are available.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
OK, so I can't navagate the website. Here is the link to the mirror monitor
Just click on the mirror option and it gets you my set up http://www.rearviewcamera.net/crv/cr...-Kits#5-Mirror
Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Light bulbs

I assume the CCD lights are different that mione. In the Safari, the bulbs are standand, bayonet incandescent bulbs and I don't know thew wattage. I have asked airstream if they know. The bulbs are not marked except for some "model number"
Eric
Old 10-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Battery Box

I put a bike lock around my battery box to reduce the temptation to borrow it since I must store my trailer at a trailer facility. I'd post a picture if thius site would let me !!!!
Eric
Old 10-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Battery Box Lock

another try at posting the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Box Lock.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	27467  
Old 10-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Santa Ana , Orange County
Howdy ericinrb!
If rb stands for Rancho Bernardo the San Diego WBCCI is having a rally at the Winery this weekend......stop by! Happy hour is 4:30 Friday and Saturday, I'm #1914. See Ya, Lisa.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

I put a cut off switch on the stereo mainly to cut the panal light at night but it also saves power when dry camping.

You probably didn't have to do this. If you hold the OFF button for 3 seconds, the unit shuts down. No annoying light.