Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm using my 17" right now. The site you visit is running on a dual gig G4. Been using Apples since about 1980 when they shoved an Apple II+ under my nose. It's how I got into all this...now I manage 5 buildings full of Macs (about 650 workstations with a sea of xServes and xRaids).

To keep it Airstream related.... I was in the Airstream and the path to the beach was near my front door. Then we had the Bambi and I had the screen door open as someone walked by...I heard this woman say "Hey they even make a matching laptop".

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Do you run this site? I'm on my 17" as well...16 hours a day in fact. I've been using Apples since the IIe myself...schools and so on. You do have my dream job....

Oh yes...uh hem....Airstream related....matching laptop, D'OH! That is funny stuff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'm using my 17" right now. The site you visit is running on a dual gig G4. Been using Apples since about 1980 when they shoved an Apple II+ under my nose. It's how I got into all this...now I manage 5 buildings full of Macs (about 650 workstations with a sea of xServes and xRaids).

To keep it Airstream related.... I was in the Airstream and the path to the beach was near my front door. Then we had the Bambi and I had the screen door open as someone walked by...I heard this woman say "Hey they even make a matching laptop".

Old 03-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Sam,

First you need to be very clear on the different terms you'll see when comparing tow vehicles and trailers. GVWR is the max weight you tow vehicle can CARRY, in the case of your Expedition it's 7,100 lbs, GCWR is the COMBINED weight of the tow vehicle and trailer, in your case it's 14,500 lbs. Fords gets their "tow ratings" just like every other manufacturer does, the base vehicle with a driver. ANY weight added to the tow vehicle (such as passengers) reduces your max trailer weight. The only way to determine your TRUE max trailer weight is by adding up the weight of your tow vehicle, plus passengers & cargo then subtract that figure from your GCWR. If you'll email me direct I'll send you a spreadsheet that works very well.

I used to own a 4X4 Chevy Tahoe which had similar towing capabilities as your Expedition. I decided to trade up to my current F250 crewcab Ford when I discovered that I couldn't tow a 25' Safari withour exceeding the Tahoe's 6800 lb GVWR.

I too used to own a 19' Bambi. Worked great when I was single and traveled alone. My wife and I found the bed too small, both length and width. Never tried camping in the Bambi with our son but I can tell you that 2 adults, a 5 month old, and 2 small dogs got real confining in our 10'10" slide-in camper when we took a 3-week long trip in bad weather. Consider where your will bathe your current child as well as the baby, bathing our 5 month old son on the floor of our camper's shower pan was a nightmare! Where will the children sleep now? What about room for a playpen/bassinet? How about in 5-10 years, will they be OK sharing a jacknife sofa/dinette or will they need seperate sleeping areas?

I strongly considered a 25' Safari with the queen bed (not the SS) but have decided on either a Safari 28W or a 28' slide-out. Our son is now 3 and we are trying to have another child. I want this to be my last RV and don't want to run out of room again.

steverheywood@starstream.net
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not this site...just the silvertwinkie.org site. It's not really a site, but more of a place I dump pics for folks to see and such to goof around. This 17 has been with me always. Last midwest rally up in Michigan last year we gathered around and watched Blazing Saddles on it. I too have my snoot under this keyboard for work 8-10 hours, then play time like this after work.

Not that I hate PCs or anything, but a bad day with a Mac still beats a great day with a PC.

To add, I've noticed a lot of Airstreamers use Macs...... even if folk have a PC, we all have great taste in RVs!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Wow...major food for thought! Thanks.

7100 lbs to carry would mean, just within the rig itself, correct? Not including a trailer at all. So subtracting the limit of a loaded rig from the total leaves me 7400 lbs total for a trailer...am I right?

Time to go buy that 1-ton dually Dodge Ram Quad Cab I always wanted! D'OH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
Sam,

First you need to be very clear on the different terms you'll see when comparing tow vehicles and trailers. GVWR is the max weight you tow vehicle can CARRY, in the case of your Expedition it's 7,100 lbs, GCWR is the COMBINED weight of the tow vehicle and trailer, in your case it's 14,500 lbs. Fords gets their "tow ratings" just like every other manufacturer does, the base vehicle with a driver. ANY weight added to the tow vehicle (such as passengers) reduces your max trailer weight. The only way to determine your TRUE max trailer weight is by adding up the weight of your tow vehicle, plus passengers & cargo then subtract that figure from your GCWR. If you'll email me direct I'll send you a spreadsheet that works very well.

I used to own a 4X4 Chevy Tahoe which had similar towing capabilities as your Expedition. I decided to trade up to my current F250 crewcab Ford when I discovered that I couldn't tow a 25' Safari withour exceeding the Tahoe's 6800 lb GVWR.

I too used to own a 19' Bambi. Worked great when I was single and traveled alone. My wife and I found the bed too small, both length and width. Never tried camping in the Bambi with our son but I can tell you that 2 adults, a 5 month old, and 2 small dogs got real confining in our 10'10" slide-in camper when we took a 3-week long trip in bad weather. Consider where your will bathe your current child as well as the baby, bathing our 5 month old son on the floor of our camper's shower pan was a nightmare! Where will the children sleep now? What about room for a playpen/bassinet? How about in 5-10 years, will they be OK sharing a jacknife sofa/dinette or will they need seperate sleeping areas?

I strongly considered a 25' Safari with the queen bed (not the SS) but have decided on either a Safari 28W or a 28' slide-out. Our son is now 3 and we are trying to have another child. I want this to be my last RV and don't want to run out of room again.

steverheywood@starstream.net
Old 03-02-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Very good!

I'm into drag racing as well...one of my buddies would say, "Racing is like Sex, even when it's bad, it's great!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Not this site...just the silvertwinkie.org site. It's not really a site, but more of a place I dump pics for folks to see and such to goof around. This 17 has been with me always. Last midwest rally up in Michigan last year we gathered around and watched Blazing Saddles on it. I too have my snoot under this keyboard for work 8-10 hours, then play time like this after work.

Not that I hate PCs or anything, but a bad day with a Mac still beats a great day with a PC.

To add, I've noticed a lot of Airstreamers use Macs...... even if folk have a PC, we all have great taste in RVs!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Sam,

You're on the right track. The problem with doing it this way is you don't take into account hitch weight. It was the hitch weight which put my Tahoe over it's 6,800 lb GVWR, I was OK with my 13,000 lb GCWR. Your Expedition should be OK since it weighs about the same empty as my Tahoe did (5,600 lbs) and has a higher GVWR. My new F250 weighs 6,800 lbs but has a 9,800 lb GVWR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitesam
Wow...major food for thought! Thanks.

7100 lbs to carry would mean, just within the rig itself, correct? Not including a trailer at all. So subtracting the limit of a loaded rig from the total leaves me 7400 lbs total for a trailer...am I right?

Time to go buy that 1-ton dually Dodge Ram Quad Cab I always wanted! D'OH!
Not so fast (in case you're serious). A dually (had one) is serious overkill for ANY Airstream and will eventually destroy the trailer.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Old 03-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Oh darn! That is right, and you almost have to double ding yourself on hitch weight...GVW for the trailer, plus your total weight on the TV.

Yeah, I'm at 14,500 total...and my dry weight of the truck (non 4 wheel drive) is 5475 lbs or so...I know it is slightly under 5500. All I could ever do is try though, eh? For the amount of usage, it should be fine, and if it struggles, I can always upgrade the TV!

Quote:
Sam,

You're on the right track. The problem with doing it this way is you don't take into account hitch weight. It was the hitch weight which put my Tahoe over it's 6,800 lb GVWR, I was OK with my 13,000 lb GCWR. Your Expedition should be OK since it weighs about the same empty as my Tahoe did (5,600 lbs) and has a higher GVWR. My new F250 weighs 6,800 lbs but has a 9,800 lb GVWR.

Not so fast (in case you're serious). A dually (had one) is serious overkill for ANY Airstream and will eventually destroy the trailer.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

I didn't catch your comment about destroying the trailer until right now...would that be because of the huge tires sticking way out, and the effects of rocks on shiny aluminum?

Quote:
Sam,

Old 03-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Sam,

No, I was refering to the stiff rear suspension. Despite it's 9800 lb GVWR the rear suspension of my F250 isn't near as stiff or punishing as any dually.

Steve

Quote:
I didn't catch your comment about destroying the trailer until right now...would that be because of the huge tires sticking way out, and the effects of rocks on shiny aluminum?
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Old 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

A stiff rear suspension will destroy the trailer? Hmmm...bouncing, jarring, vibration...?

Quote:
Sam,

No, I was refering to the stiff rear suspension. Despite it's 9800 lb GVWR the rear suspension of my F250 isn't near as stiff or punishing as any dually.

Steve
Old 03-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A 1 ton (3500) has an extra leaf or two. A bit stiffer. I think that folks that have them tow 5th wheels. Being a more stiff suspension, it can really beat the heck out of the coach (bumping, etc... not as smooth) from what folks say around here. I have no direct exp with a 1 ton though, so take the info as is.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
A stiff rear suspension will destroy the trailer? Hmmm...bouncing, jarring, vibration...?
It will definitely transmit more force to the front of the trailer than a softer suspension would. Beyond that a dually pickup is a royal pain to use as a daily driver, did it for over a year! Then you should consider the maintaince issues of the dual rear wheels, because of the aluminum wheels on my dually I gave up any notion of rotating tires.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Old 03-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

I hear that...they don't look easy to keep in lanes for sure, being as wide or wider than most travel trailers....but they look so darn cool! (I know...not a good reason to own). When is Airstream bringing back the 5er!?

Quote:
It will definitely transmit more force to the front of the trailer than a softer suspension would. Beyond that a dually pickup is a royal pain to use as a daily driver, did it for over a year! Then you should consider the maintaince issues of the dual rear wheels, because of the aluminum wheels on my dually I gave up any notion of rotating tires.