Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

19' Bambi or 22' Safari?

My wife and I are getting ready to purchase either a new 19' Bambi or a 22' Safari. My concern is the single axle and two tires on the Bambi with regard to ride (bounce) and handling. I have only towed dual axle in the past, and my Silverado pickup can handle either model easily. Can you offer some advice to help us with our decision?
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
19' Bambi or 22' Safari?

Greetings The Duck!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duck
My wife and I are getting ready to purchase either a new 19' Bambi or a 22' Safari. My concern is the single axle and two tires on the Bambi with regard to ride (bounce) and handling. I have only towed dual axle in the past, and my Silverado pickup can handle either model easily. Can you offer some advice to help us with our decision?
I shared your concern about single-axle coaches at one time, and that was based on a very unpleasant experience with a Brand X travel trailer with a single axle. After owning my '64 Overlander for seven years, I decided that I wanted a second, smaller coach for spur of the moment weekender type trips. The result was the purchase of my '78 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre. Unlike my earlier experience the Airstream product coach, with its Henschen DuraTorque axle and attention to engineering that produced a balanced coach with adequate tongue weight, is a joy to tow and is every bit as stable as my tandem axle Overlander.

The one thing that I will admit with the single axle coach is a bit greater concern for tires. Part of my routine with the Minuet is to check and adjust the pressure in the tires before hitching the coach. The tires are also on a time-based replacement schedule of 48-months -- on my tandem, I usually go 60-months, but don't want to push my luck on the single axle.

With both my single and tandem axle coaches, I utilize the Reese Strait-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control. I have never had a hint of sway with either coach using this system with either of my tow vehicles listed in my signature.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Kevin,
I'm with you on tire replacement. To start this season I bought four new Goodyear Marathons even though my old tires had plenty of tread left on them. I think the single axle Bambi with quality tires will probably be fine. Thank you for the reply and good advice.
Bill
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I say a 22 ft.

I'm a full timer. On a rainy day having a few extra feet is really nice just for me. If I had a partner I'd really, really need the extra space. I've got the CCD and really like it.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
An important point to consider is the considerably smoother ride and extra space in the 22ft Safari. It has a somewhat separate sleeping arangement as well, which in my experience is a great plus, unless you always travel alone.
The smoother ride is because the second wheel on each side will prevent the body from dropping into bad pavement, rarely is a pothole large enough for both tires on a tandem setup. Same goes for freeway expansion joints and other irregularities in the road. You might not notice that much difference in the tow vehicle, but definitely in teh way the trailer arrives at the destination. I've followed both single axle and dual axle Airstreams, and the dual axles visually ride much more stable.
My vote would be for the tandem axle Safari.
Also, more people trade up from a smaller trailer, than down from an adequately sized trailer.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Go larger!!

Greeting The Duck,

I had a 2005 19' CCD that I just traded for a 2006 28' Safari LS... I tow with a half ton truck and am not near my limits, so I still have plenty of margin.

If it's just you and your wife, perhaps 19 will do, but for my wife and I, we thought 19 was plenty when we were at the dealership... Take it home and load it up and then camp in it with 2 dogs makes it cramped!

Also to think about, the 19' single axle takes a bit of getting used to in backing, it turns sharper and responds much quicker than tandems. I also feel that under certain conditions, it could be more prone to sway.

Another reason we moved up was that I didn't like the corner bed in the 19, but if you go 22, that will not be an issue for you.

One personal drawback that my wife pointed out when we looked was that we didn't like the wet bath in the 22.

The 19 has forced air heating the tanks. the 22 uses heat pads, and from what I understand, is not the most efficent. I think there is also only one battery on the 22, whereas the 19 has duals, so take that into consideration if you plan boondock...

Rgds

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Rivet

Greetings Mr. Duck

I have a 2004 19' CCD Bambi and love it. Just my wife myself and our dog but we have plenty of room for the type of "camping" we do. Spending most of our time outside is what we enjoy most. Bed is fine for us bathroom great kitchen wonderful. Tows like a dream with my F 150. No problem backing up once I learned how to do it. For us the 19' is perfect.
ardenrj is offline   Reply With Quote