Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Collegeville , Pennsylvania
16RB never adjust brakes

Got a question to those who have a Sport 16RB with never adjust brakes. When I jacked up one side and spun the wheel I had just very slight shoe noise against the drum. One thing I notice is that with full gain on the brake controller at low speed 10 mph no truck brake applied just some drag while with a Scamp trailer with regular adjusting brakes I could lock up a wheel. what have you observed? You can adjust never adjust brakes but it is a little tricky or should I drive out to S. Dakota and let the brakes do there thing. This is a 2019 Sport 16RB. what do we see with these brakes and granted the Sport is about 1000# heavier than the Scamp was.

BTempone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You should be able to lock a wheel with a trailer that has properly working brakes. That noise you hear when turning the wheel is most likely the magnet scraping the inside of the drum face. How many miles on the 16RB? It is not unusual that the factory did not pre-adjust the brakes. It is a good idea to adjust them to get them close so the adjusters don't have to work so hard to bring them in. Also if they are way out the adjusters may not work properly. They can be adjusted through the access hole like the non-adjustable brakes. I expect your Scamp was so light that locking the brakes did not take much at all.

Perry

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Might be worth a little effort if youíre able to inspect a bit further. This is a write up I did on self adjusting brakes, visual insp, wheel in the air insp, drum off, replacement and adjustment procedure.

Dexter Nev-R-Adjust Brake Inspection and R&R
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439/dexter-nev-r-adjust-brake-inspection-and-r-and-r-194437.html

You can adjust self adj but follow up is why did they need adjusting?

Much better to address prior to trip and get them working.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Thanks to all who replied. I want the brakes to lock up like they did with the Scamp. I have no problem jacking the trailer to adjust and will pull the drum if I need to. I have the tools for this and have done it before but I wanted to thank the guy who wrote the detailed instructions since I will follow that. I will do this before I leave. I will tell you what it is a pain to get another trailer working right again. They must not adjust them at the factory so I will have to. I can tell you that Colonial in NJ didn't understand them either because I made a point of this at purchase so once again I need to do it right. This is my last trailer. Actually the Scamp was pretty good for the money but the Airstream is more comfortable.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Brakes won't lock up unless your controller asks them to
Putting your foot on the brakes won't do much unless you are moving and the controller senses deceleration. Manual application set up usually requires the wheels to lock at 20 mph which is arbitrary but a useful start.
Regardless of adjustment takes wil apply when voltage is on the magnets. If there is too much play between the shoe and the drum brakes might be a bit grabby since the magnet moves farther around its pivot and gets more leverage.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
I viewed a video that etrailer puts out for Dexter never adjust brakes and it was simple. You cant use a adjustment spoon, two small screwdrivers is all you need. You will see this in the video. In any event, both wheels are good and we lock up in full manual override with the controller. Thanks job done no sweat.