Old 11-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Tallahassee , FLORIDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650b View Post
Weight specs for travel trailers are usually based on an empty weight in order to be consistent. Why your dealer didn't recommend a heavier weight distribution hitch is a question you need to ask them. The solution is simple since most manufacturers sell different weight capacity tension bars for their hitch. I'm not familiar with the Equalizer brand, but the dealer should be able to swap out the tension bars. Maybe you can ask for a more experienced technician to show you proper installation and to verify the correct tension bar. I have the Blue Ox weight distribution bars and use the bars rated for 750lbs. I have a 2017 Bambi Sport 16. With a 6 cylinder Highlander as the TV, the ride is smooth and secure with max gear, water & propane. Good luck and please report back.
Hi 650b:

I'm looking at getting a 16 sport and pulling it with a BMW X3. The RV dealer is recommending a blue OX as well. Do you use a brake controller? If so which one?

weismans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Snip...."Most folks on here won't be surprised as we all have made the same discovery...."

^
YES

Never base weights on what AS states.
ie...our stated 860, loaded...1200.

It's better to add 1000lb and have 500lb wiggle room when loaded.
The dealer should have stressed that.
A properly set up 5000lb hitch would not over stress the trailer.

Bob
🇺🇸
“Its better to have what you don't need when you need it, than not to have it when you don’t.” or “you may think you don’t need it but when you do….you’ll have it.”
RLC

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by weismans View Post
Hi 650b:

I'm looking at getting a 16 sport and pulling it with a BMW X3. The RV dealer is recommending a blue OX as well. Do you use a brake controller? If so which one?
FYI the post you quoted is from mid-2017, and 650b has only one post to his or her credit.

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, you should always use a class III hitch
why go cheap? no savings

you should try to get the lowest capacity WD bars that are above your max weight. If you go too high a WD bar capacity, the drive will be very hard and rough.

just like a home AirCon unit, you need to match the AC with the home capacity
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

I realize this is an old thread too, but I’ll add my tongue weight on an empty, new, 22 sport and a 2018 f150 was low like 7% so I will need to add weight. I predict once water is added it will be in the sweet spot.

So I was surprised the other way around with too low a tongue weight.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Tallahassee , FLORIDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel View Post
We have a new Sport and had time to weigh the tongue this weekend. I was a bit surprised. Our Airstream dealer recommended an Equalizer 400 lb max hitch weight, 4000 lb max trailer weight. The Sport has a GVWR of 3500 lb so we should be well under the capacity of the hitch. Weighed the tongue, lightly loaded with no water on board, at almost 400 lb. Added about half tank of fresh water and exceeded the 400 lb max hitch weight significantly.
So we can't haul any water without overloading the hitch or we have to add unneeded weight to the rear on the trailer.
Anyone else have this issue?
I too at am a loss to understand why the Sherline tongue scale is reading 470lbs! Very little has been placed in the camper and no water. On the A frame is the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller and the brackets for the blue ox WD. Maybe together they weight 20 lbs? Could the Sherline tongue scale be off?
I would not worry so much it if were not for my TV's 440lb tongue weight limit. I suspect the WD will move some weight but how much? What would 1/2" of wheel well change (increase at the rear wheel) = in weight distribution forward?

I should take it to a CAT scale I suppose. Anyone else understand this better?
weismans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Sooo, I have the segment protectors added, but that is about the only real additional weight in the 22’ Sport. Here is my tongue weight this morning with almost no fresh water and empty gray/black tanks, 500 lbs. Any ideas?? I really can’t be pressing that high without fresh water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74A56096-162E-44FE-BF45-2759C9034137.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	336489  
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Sooo, I have the segment protectors added, but that is about the only real additional weight in the 22’ Sport. Here is my tongue weight this morning with almost no fresh water and empty gray/black tanks, 500 lbs. Any ideas?? I really can’t be pressing that high without fresh water

Empty TW is supposed to be 422 lbs. Protectors are stainless steel - 20 lbs each? Most of this weight will end up on the coupler.

How much is “some water”? 5 gallons? 42 lbs or so? Will this put 15 on the coupler?

That might be 55 lbs total, so I’d expect the scale to read around 475. It seems within reason to me.

(Is there water in the water heater? That would add 50 lbs, with perhaps 25 to 30 on the coupler.)

My impression is that the Sport 22 is going to see a greater proportional increase in TW when loaded than most Airstreams, due primarily to the water heater location and the fact that most of the storage space is up front. I’m expecting a loaded TW north of 600 lbs, ready to travel.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
Is the real concern with a 600lb TW related to the WD limits on the VW hitch assembly?
In Europe that is a high TW...USA not so much.
Buying the AS to match the "existing" TV can be problematic at times.

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Is the real concern with a 600lb TW related to the WD limits on the VW hitch assembly?

In Europe that is a high TW...USA not so much.

Buying the AS to match the "existing" TV can be problematic at times.

Bob

The Curt and Draw-Tite units for the VW Atlas at etrailer are rated for 900 lbs TW. That should not be an issue. However, reinforcement would probably be a good idea to reduce flex for more effective weight transfer.

The only VW info that I was able to find simply says 5000 lbs max with the V6 engine.

Ideally, a Class 3 or 4 receiver for a WDH should be designed to carry whatever a vehicle can realistically accommodate in terms of tongue weight.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Being my first TT, and with the amount of research I did beforehand (solid amount), I did not anticipate adding water and the segment protectors increases advertised TW by 20%.

I plan to relocate the battery from the frame to the interior, and hope that helps lower it some too. Definitely a surprise
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I have two Sherline tongue scales. One weighs in at 75 pounds more that the other on the same trailer.

I've found that consistent replicating of the position of the Sherlines under the tongue is critical.

SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote