Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
16' Sport Question about Overhead Cabinets

On our new Sport, the longer overhead cabinet coiling doors have a little resistance to keep them closed while on the road. On the shorter overhead cabinets over the sink and microwave, the coiling doors do not have any resistance. So them slide up easily. Seems that this would allow stowed items to pop out while on the road. Is everyone's Sport the same way?
Thanks

Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Brighton , Michigan
Short answer to your question is yes. We have 22 FB Sport and the covers roll with no resistance. So far no problems, but we keep light unbreakable items up there.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , California
Thanks. We'll make a science experiment out of it and see if stuff pops out.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Adirondacks , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel View Post
On our new Sport, the longer overhead cabinet coiling doors have a little resistance to keep them closed while on the road. On the shorter overhead cabinets over the sink and microwave, the coiling doors do not have any resistance. So them slide up easily. Seems that this would allow stowed items to pop out while on the road. Is everyone's Sport the same way?
Thanks
our new Sport 16 is like yours ---- somewhere on the forum it was suggested to use spring loaded curtain rods as stoppers for cabinets - so far no problems with this fix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	285783  
Old 05-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
That's a good fix. We've always just kept lightweight/ pantry items up there. Important staples like hot dog buns and potato chips don't seem to have the heft necessary to open the doors in transit
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Yes...they will most certainly open up and dump your stuff all over the place. I've done two things....installed stretch netting which is easily removed when parked. And, when in motion I use blue painters tape to keep them shut. I apply it to the closet, lower (under the sink) doors and each of the sliding doors. Since going thru this routine I've had no problems. The coaches while rolling down the road are literally an "earthquake" that doesn't quit for hours.....it is what it is. You need to "help it stay together.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
No. Ours are too tight and bind. Guess it's hard for the factory to get them just right. Sports are the cheapest Airstreams and our rollup cabinet doors are evidence of that. Otherwise, it's a great trailer with great components. We love it.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Metuchen , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter View Post
No. Ours are too tight and bind. Guess it's hard for the factory to get them just right. Sports are the cheapest Airstreams and our rollup cabinet doors are evidence of that. Otherwise, it's a great trailer with great components. We love it.
Least expensive should only mean less expensive components and luxuries. I would still expect the cabinet doors to work flawlessly in a cheap 45k unit. Even the cheapest Rolex is held to the same time keeping standards of the highest priced ones.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Least expensive should only mean less expensive components and luxuries. I would still expect the cabinet doors to work flawlessly in a cheap 45k unit. Even the cheapest Rolex is held to the same time keeping standards of the highest priced ones.
True. That 45K should be paying for as near perfect engineering of every component as possible. Especially since cabinet doors are designed more in-house while things like fridges, water pumps, TV's, etc are outsourced and simply a matter of Airstream shopping for whatever components they'd like to install then holding the supplier to a high standard. Cabinet doors? That's directly on Airstream.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Aptos , California
Oh boy.... Here we go. I'm holding my mouth clamped together so as not to speak or type a sentence that uses "Airstream" as a subject noun and "quality" as a verb..... For the record, our 22 has tambor doors so tight it takes two hands to open or close. They will soon be on the growing trash pile.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I wish all my roller doors were easy to roll up. Some are so tight I can't get them up more than half way. The loose ones have never rolled up during trips.