Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
16' Bambi with a 4Runner?

Does anyone out there tow their 16 or 19 bambi with a Toyota 4 Runner? Just curious if it's within legitimate weight rating and, if so, how it handles.

Thanks.
norcal bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I have a 2005 4Runner SR5 4WD V6. I've towed a 19' Bambi in the past and now I am towing a 20' Safari SE. The tow rating for my 4Runner is 5,000lbs. My 19 was well below that, my current Safari is just below that.

I have and no problems towing either with my 4Runner. I have a decent WD and anti-sway hitch (Reese) and have never experienced any sway. I have been satisfied how it handles.

Many folks are weary of towing so close to the rated load for a vehicle, but I've never experienced any issues and have been very happy with my setup.

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal bass View Post
Does anyone out there tow their 16 or 19 bambi with a Toyota 4 Runner? Just curious if it's within legitimate weight rating and, if so, how it handles.

Thanks.
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:

Thanks.
The V8 has a higher towing capacity than the V6 but with either you're well within your limits. I have the V8 and I tow a 23' Safari without any issues at all. I've towed on the Interstate with heavy truck traffic and it handles just fine. I have an Equal-i-zer WD hitch.

I have attached data for the 2004 model, which is what I have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4Runner Specifications.pdf (28.1 KB, 102 views)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
We tow our 2007 16' with our 2001 4Runner SR5 V6 and an Equal-i-zer hitch. We've also added a transmission cooler to the 4Runner. It handles just fine. We're not the fastest rig up the steeper inclines, but we get there without any problems. Our trailer weighs 3500 lbs loaded, which is well under our 4Runner's 5000 lb. towing capacity. However, I wouldn't want to tow much more more than what we're currently doing. I feel safe not towing more than 80% of the tow vehicle's capacity.

I don't know what happened between 2007 and 2009, but the weight of the 16' trailer went up by 800 lbs, going by Airstream's spec sheets. I guess what I'm getting at is that it's a good idea to check all your weights and capacities and make sure you're being safe, for yourself and for others out on the roads.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	8482
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	211346  
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
Thanks to all three of you. Appears that the 4 Runner will get it done.

Our trailer is a new 16 Bambi. I currently pull it with a newer Toyota Tundra ... obviously no issues whatsoever with that tow vehicle. I am considering downsizing, but want to make sure the 4 Runner can handle it. The GVWR on the new 16 is 3500 lbs. I guess when loaded, it's higher, but with a tow rating of 4700 lbs on the new 4 Runner, it appears ok. I'll be using the Equalizer hitch. My biggest concern would probably be the smaller sized brakes on the 4 Runner. I towed a decent sized boat about the same weight as the 16 Bambi with a Toyota Tacoma ... towed fine, but had to think ahead on the brakes ... it pushed me a little which I didn't like.

One other question: With the full height swing up rear door (or gate) ... can you still get it open even with the Airstream hooked up? i.e. LP tanks or jack doesn't get in the way?

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why downsize from the Tundra? You may not see an increase in fuel economy.
GVW is the maximum weight of the trailer- actual weight + water, propane, clothing, camping gear, etc.- the weight the axle is rated to carry-
I don't know the actual weight of a Sport 16, but GVW - actual weight = cargo capacity (your "stuff")
You should never exceed GVW. If GVW is 3,500# it will not get heavier when loaded. It will most likely weigh less than 3,500# when loaded.
Actual weight is less than GVW. Load is GVW - actual trailer weight.
Trailer GVW's are cut and dried measurements. It is simply the axles.
A single axle trailer with a 3,500# axle has a 3,500# GVW.
A tandem axle trailer with (2) 3,500# axles has a 7,000# GVW.
A tandem axle trailer with (2) 5,000# axles has a GVW of 10,000#.
A tandem axle trailer with (2) 7,000# axles has a 14,000# GVW, and so forth and so on and scooby dooby doo...
This applies to camping trailers, horse trailers, utility trailers, cargo trailers, car trailers...
My trailer, (2) 5,000# axles, 10,000# GVW, has an actual weight of 8,600# ready to camp.
My tow vehicle (Tundra) has a towing capacity of 10,400#. I am close to the towing capacity by GVW, but 1,800# away in actual weight.
Payload, however, is a different ball game. Payload is the truck's GVW - actual weight. I'm not sure of the actual number for the Tumdra, but I think the number is 1,700#.
That is tongue weight of the trailer, gas in the truck, passengers in the truck, and camping gear. It is easy to overload the truck with too much campfire wood.
With a Bambi or Sport this will not be an issue...my trailer has a 1,000# tongue weight- a Bambi or Sport might have a 400# tongue weight-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
The newer generations of the 4Runner lost a bit of tow capacity, but I think you should still be fine.

In regards to the brakes, keep in mind that the Airstream has electric brakes, so it will brake a lot quicker than your boat did (as most boat trailers do not have brakes). The brakes work remarkably well, even when emergency braking I never felt that my rig could not stop in time.

On the rear hatch, in my case i can open it only when the AS is perfectly inline with the 4Runner. Even then it is close, it passes the electric jack by about one inch. But remember we have different generation 4Runners and different AS, so your setup may be different.

-J

Quote:
Thanks to all three of you. Appears that the 4 Runner will get it done.

Our trailer is a new 16 Bambi. I currently pull it with a newer Toyota Tundra ... obviously no issues whatsoever with that tow vehicle. I am considering downsizing, but want to make sure the 4 Runner can handle it. The GVWR on the new 16 is 3500 lbs. I guess when loaded, it's higher, but with a tow rating of 4700 lbs on the new 4 Runner, it appears ok. I'll be using the Equalizer hitch. My biggest concern would probably be the smaller sized brakes on the 4 Runner. I towed a decent sized boat about the same weight as the 16 Bambi with a Toyota Tacoma ... towed fine, but had to think ahead on the brakes ... it pushed me a little which I didn't like.

One other question: With the full height swing up rear door (or gate) ... can you still get it open even with the Airstream hooked up? i.e. LP tanks or jack doesn't get in the way?

Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
M Hony -

Agreed ... I don't really want to get rid of the Tundra ... best truck I have ever owned hands down. Reason for downsizing is not to try and get an increase in fuel economy while towing ... I know that won't happen. The reason is when I am not towing. We live in an urban area ... around town is tough sometimes with the big tundra ... parking, parking garages, etc, etc.

Thanks for the GVWR info ... that clears it up for me. I'd be fine with the 4 Runner and the 16.

Jpons -

Thanks for the info ... good point on the AS trailer brakes helping me (which is different than the boat). And that's good info on the tailgate door. Glad yours clears ... I'll definitely double check that prior to buying a 4 Runner. That would be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't open the back while hitched up.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Just as a point of reference, I am getting about 14 MPG towing the 20 footer.

I have thought of upgrading to a tundra myself, but I love my 4Runner, easily the best car I've ever had.

I am sure the tailgate clearance will also be affected by the hitch you are using. Like I said, mine clears only when the TV and the AS are perfectly straight. I bet that if my hitch was one inch longer the gate would clear 90% of the time.

Best of luck.

-J

Quote:
M Hony -

Agreed ... I don't really want to get rid of the Tundra ... best truck I have ever owned hands down. Reason for downsizing is not to try and get an increase in fuel economy while towing ... I know that won't happen. The reason is when I am not towing. We live in an urban area ... around town is tough sometimes with the big tundra ... parking, parking garages, etc, etc.

Thanks for the GVWR info ... that clears it up for me. I'd be fine with the 4 Runner and the 16.

Jpons -

Thanks for the info ... good point on the AS trailer brakes helping me (which is different than the boat). And that's good info on the tailgate door. Glad yours clears ... I'll definitely double check that prior to buying a 4 Runner. That would be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't open the back while hitched up.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Don't get rid of the Tundra!
If you do, let me know!
Get the 4Runner for a daily driver and keep the Tundra.
I get 10-12 mpg towing my 30'. A Sport is narrower, also. I bet you could get 13-14 mpg with a Tundra pulling a Sport.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Thanks again.
My '04 4Runner door opens without any issues when hooked up to the 23' Safari. I don't recall if that changes when it's at an angle to the trailer, like jpons said. I know it doesn't have to be perfectly aligned, there can be some angle to it. I haven't had to lower the rear window that I recall, but that's the nice thing about having the 4Runner; alternate access to the back.

I tow a 17' Ranger bass boat and when the brakes on the trailer weren't working it was quite a bit for the 4Runner to handle on wet pavement; dry was OK but not great. I fixed the Ranger trailer brakes myself (replaced the calipers and rotors) and now it's back to normal.

Pulling the 23' Safari with my 4Runner is no problem with the brakes, but I haven't had any 'panic' stops yet. Normal traffic is just that, normal, like pulling the boat with surge brakes. The AS electric brakes, using the Prodigy P2 controller, was a snap to install and easy to use. You can adjust your trailer braking power right from the driver's seat.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
4 Runner

We tow our 16' Bambi with our 2013 4 Runner and it works fine.We have an equalizer hitch and have had no problems so far. We are in Colorado and haul it in the mountains. Depending on the wind, we get 14-17 MPG. It handles great.
kpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
kpatrick -

Thanks ... glad to hear you tow in the mtns with no issues. I'm in the sierras of NV/CA and do lots of mtn towing as well. Was curious how the 5th generation 4Runner did with a 16 bambi. One question: what size bars are you using for your equalizer hitch 400 lbs, 600 lbs, 1000 lbs?

richw46 -

I also pull a Ranger ... 18'6 ... that is probably my bigger concern with the 4Runner than the Airstream since no electric brakes ... just surge. And pulling out of a wet boat ramp has me wondering. I guess you can always pop it into 4WD for some extra traction. I just don't want the boat pushing me around when stopping ... feels unsafe. Weight of the boat is about the same as the 16 bambi ... roughy 3750 lbs loaded.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
Our bars are 600 lbs
kpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I have been towing a 19 foot Bambi with a 2011 4runner.. 5000 lb capacity.. 275 hp v6. The bambi loaded pushes 4500 lbs..I have had no problems in 20,000 miles of travel. The runner pulls great and does everything well including gas milage. We just returned to Portland from a six week trip to the SW desert area and averaged 16 mpg....includes about 20% of miles without trailer. However, best to use high octane fuel. Important for yourRunner to be equipped with factory tow package. Good luck.

with
RFR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
richw46 -
I also pull a Ranger ... 18'6 ... that is probably my bigger concern with the 4Runner than the Airstream since no electric brakes ... just surge. And pulling out of a wet boat ramp has me wondering. I guess you can always pop it into 4WD for some extra traction. I just don't want the boat pushing me around when stopping ... feels unsafe. Weight of the boat is about the same as the 16 bambi ... roughy 3750 lbs loaded.
I had a lot of problems with the brakes on my Ranger Trail trailer. Both in and out of warranty the "largest Ranger dealer in the US" couldn't get them fixed, even cut a master cylinder line once. I finally just disconnected them and gave up on the Ranger dealership.

When I had my '89 Toyota pickup it was a problem because it didn't have sufficient weight to stop the trailer on wet streets. When I got the '04 4Runner it wasn't a problem of weight but the 4Runner brakes weren't really sufficient to easily perform a panic stop. I replaced the calibers and rotors on the trailer myself and haven't had any problems since then (3 years). When I start braking I can feel the trailer engage the surge brakes but then it's just normal braking, even better than when not pulling the trailer.

I am still new to pulling the AS so I really begin stopping sooner, keep lots of distance between me and the vehicle in front of me. The electric brakes are really nice but I think there is still a delay on engaging, kind of like the surge brakes but without the knock/clunk they have; more of just a delay, then they engage. I feel comfortable with the AS but I'm still much more attentive when towing and I take more frequent breaks.

I have the V8 engine with full time 4-wheel drive. I wasn't sure if I would like it but I really do. No problems with spinning tires on wet streets when turning corners. I also have the X-REAS suspension (standard on the SE in 2004) which may help with steering when I pull the AS.

In any event, my 4Runner performs very, very well with both the Ranger boat and the 23' AS. I'm very happy with the handling, wish they still made the V8 or would put a diesel in them.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
I tow my 16' Sport with a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. It has the same limit as the AS, 3500 lbs. I have been towing it for almost 2 1/2 years, up the mountains, to the beach and in the desert (in windy areas). I have had no problems whatsoever, so far. When in the mountains, I turn off the a/c and drive around 40 mph, depending on the incline and curves. Jeeps are built to climb and it has no problem pulling my AS.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Chico , California
We have a 2005 19' Bambi Safari that we tow with a 2007 Tundra 5.7L DoubleCab. We're looking into used 5th gen. 4Runners like your own. Does yours have 4WD? Or KDSS? Tow rating on your 2011 is 300 lbs. higher than on the 2014-2015s.
richcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
I have a 2005 4Runner SR5 4WD V6. I've towed a 19' Bambi in the past and now I am towing a 20' Safari SE. The tow rating for my 4Runner is 5,000lbs. My 19 was well below that, my current Safari is just below that.

I have and no problems towing either with my 4Runner. I have a decent WD and anti-sway hitch (Reese) and have never experienced any sway. I have been satisfied how it handles.

Many folks are weary of towing so close to the rated load for a vehicle, but I've never experienced any issues and have been very happy with my setup.

-J

I have been towing my 19' bambi for over three years with a 2011 4wheel drive 4 Runner. Loaded I weigh close to 4500 lbs and the rig has been excellent in towing under all conditions. Make sure you have leveling and anti sway bar. i use 87 octane when pulling. I am just completing a 4,000 + mile road trip in SW from Portland an averaging 15.8 m/g. We are more than pleased with the Bambi and Runner.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
RFR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Austin , Texas
We have a 2010 4Runner Limited and 2012 Bambi Sport 22FB. No problems. Logged 10,000 miles last year from Austin to Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington Utah, Montana, Colorado and New Mexico. Love our rig.
PaulG_4307 is offline   Reply With Quote