Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My wife and I each drive diesel Mercedes (Hers is an E320 CDI sedan and mine is a 4WD ML320 CDI SUV) and we have no issue finding fuel here in Phoenix. I drive cross country a lot and have no issues finding fuel.

The sedan gets 38 to 39 mpg on the highway and the SUV gets 27 to 28 on the highway.

Both vehicles can go over 600 miles on a fill up, but my bladder does not last that long, so I typically top up the car tank while emptying my tank.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #58

1961 19' Globetrotter
Temecula , California
Smile HI X3 Tow'r

We are pulling our 1961 19' Globletrotter Airstream with a 2006 Porche Cayenne S-V8 without brake system (probably because of weight and pre elect brakes) just fine.
The Porsche came with a tow packageonly took one part a plastic housing easy found at the Porsche dealer.
I had a lot of sway on my first outing to Bishop, CA last Labor Day weekend to Brown's Campground- a beautiful campground by the way for a little fly-fishing. So I asked around to many of my OR RV friends who are use to pulling lite sand trailers and toy haulers and all said pult on the anti sway bar. I installed a Eaz Lift Sway Control bar and now no sway

I have been to Paso Robles, Santa Inez and Santa Barbara wine country and just returned from Anza Borrego pulling hills, curves freeway and rough pavement between Salton Sea and Anza Borrego without any issue.

Best of luck from Pauly the 61 Globletrotter.
Bill at Ranchoverde
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlwnd View Post
HELP! We just bought a 16' Bambi and it has sat in the driveway now without moving 1" for over 4 months and no hope in sight. We have a BMW X3 that should tow it fine, but....BMW says you can't use a weight distribution anit-sway system; the Bambi dealer says don't tow without it. I installed a tow package on the X3. Dealer told me that included trailer brake control...not true! So now I've bought a wireless trailer brake control box. Everything we do goes round and round and everyone we talk to tells us something different. DOES ANYONE TOW A 16' BAMBI WITH AN X3? From reading, I've learned a Rav and 4 Runner will. They must not have a unibody frame, but must have a solid frame? DOES ANYONE TOW WITHOUT THE ANTI-SWAY WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION? HAS ANYONE USED A WIRELESS BRAKE CONTROL? I don't know what to do! I'm looking at Tacomas and Ford 150s now but that expense was not factored in when I bought the Bambi. We're about ready to throw in the towel, forget the whole thing, and sell it. Any insight...anyone?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #59
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
Been towing my 16' Bambi with a Toyota FJ for over 5000 miles including steep grades and mtns ( Arizona and New Mexico) and have had no problems at all. FJ has smallish gas tank and I had to install 7 pin for electric brakes but thats about it. FJ is loaded with gear too.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #60
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
I found a tank addition for the FJ I am considering. Man-a-fre. 19 gallons. I am trying to find out if it will clear my hitch.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #61
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Im going to check into that tank
Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I think the FJ would be an ideal tow vehicle for a Bambi. Certainly my one ton diesel would be overkill. Jim
Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Coconut Creek , Florida
New to the forums and Airstream, so sorry if I'm late to this thread.

We bought our 2013 16' Bambi about four months ago, upgrading from a vintage-style teardrop and an actual vintage Shasta Compact.

When we were towing the Shasta, even though it was light, we noticed we were aero-limited, towing with our 2011 Honda Pilot. We were getting 9.5 - 11 MPG towing on flat ground. Behind a semi truck MPG jumped to 15-17. So, I investigated and bought a wind deflector from Icon Direct (Canadian company). Would pay for itself in 4,000 miles.

Now we have our Bambi. When returning from picking it up and driving from Melbourne, FL, we were getting around 10 MPG without the deflector. With both the Shasta and the Bambi we'd run 63-65 MPH at around 2800 RPM. With the deflector and NO headwind, we'd run 2100 RPM at the same speeds. Mileage with the deflector is anywhere from 13.5 - 16 MPG. Again, without the deflector it's miserably around 10 MPG.

On our last trip there was a significant headwind, so on our way out we got around 12 MPG, running at 2800 RPM. On our way back home, no headwind, 13.5-16 MPG (variability is usually due to how much time we can run behind semi trucks).

So even though Airstreams are thought to be aerodynamic, they still present significant aero drag on the tow vehicle, although probably less than if it was a box. (The Shasta was shorter and not as wide, and lighter at around 2000 lbs, yet we achieved worse MPG towing it compared to the AS, so the aero shape does count for something.)

We had some white-knuckle driving. Coming from teardrop, we pack REALLY light. Lesson learned: the darned thing sways like MAD. We have a bike rack way out back, and load up a heavy cruiser and a light mountain bike. Easy fix is to travel with the water tank full, propane tanks full, and extra canopy, cooler, and chairs loaded up on the front table/mattress. No more sway up to nearly 70 MPH. No sway devices on our hitch.

Caveat: we have towed only in Florida, so no steep grades, yet.

Please don't ask me to get up and go look at what brake controller we have. I'm so nicely ensconced in my easy chair typing this.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #64

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Did you have a WD and anti sway? When we towed with the Acura MDX we had lots of sway even with the WD bars but when we added the anti sway we had no problems. We towed a 19' Bambi. Now that we have the VW Tourareg we don't even feel it back there.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #65
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
I have an FastWay E2 6000k WD with anti-sway friction control built in. Towing my 16' Bambi in all kinds of conditions -high winds, thunderstorms, steep grades, big semi trucks speeding etc. never experienced any type of sway at all. Winds were so high in parts of Arizona that it blew my towing mirror in, the Bambi was always solid.
TV is a new Toyota FJ 4x4
Old 03-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #66
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Frontal Area

dquarasr,

I agree with the frontal area of the AS. We too have a 2013 Sport and whene we had our Casita we averaged between 14.5 to 16 mpg towing it with our Jeep Liberty.

Now that we have the AS it mpg has dropped to around 11 to 13.5. I've got to believe its because of the larger frontal area of the AS. I'll check into the wind deflector you mentioned.

Is it something that can be attached and removed when you're not towing? the Jeep is my daily driver.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite October 2012 110.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	207912   Click image for larger version

Name:	56 Lunch Break.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	207913  

Old 03-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
After 3 yrs of towing a narrower flat-sided camper, I was pleasantly surprised towing the wider but more aerodynamic Bambi. A solid 2 MPG increase. It's as if the wind can't get a bite from any angle. There's seldom a direct head/tailwind while towing, ya know. It's mostly by varying angles. The flat-sided camper made that painfully obvious.

Those Casitas...man, they're sweet looking trailers and I'd still love to have one, one of these days.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Coconut Creek , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
I'll check into the wind deflector you mentioned.

Is it something that can be attached and removed when you're not towing? the Jeep is my daily driver.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Yes, it is. The "standard" way to attach the deflector to the roof is via suction cups and straps that attach to the door frame. I didn't like that so I have been attaching it to my longitudinal roof racks. The deflector frame sits on the racks, and I use long worm-type hose clamps to tighten it down, two on each side. I see your Jeep has roof racks.

Overall I'm pleased with the deflector. Icon Direct offers many different sizes and styles of deflectors to fit pickups, cars, trucks, etc., intended for many different sizes of trailers.

This disclaimer is unusually appropriate in this context: Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #69
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Poor Man's Airstream

Skooter,

We purchased our Casita new from the factory in Rice in 2007. We nicknamed it our "poor man's Airstream" due to its shape and high quality of contruction.

When we purchased our Sport we posted an ad on the Casita forums. Within 24 hours we recieved over a dozen replies including one guy from St. Louis MO who was willing to purchase it sight unseen!

Based on how quickly AS's sell I'm sure if and when we sell our little tin can we will have the same response.

I included a few more shots of the egg on our last trip with it to Glacier National Park in 2012.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33 The Egg.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	207984   Click image for larger version

Name:	93 The Collies and the Casita.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	207985  

Name:	203 Ready to go.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	526.2 KB
ID:	207986  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Durham , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivera View Post
Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I'm new here and we have yet to purchase a Bambi, but are hoping to pull it with our BMW X5 xdrive30i. Need to research how to get it done, as I really don't want to buy another car either!

I pull a Bambi 22fb with my diesel x5. It pulls it like there is nothing there. I use an equalizer hitch for sway control. It works great.