Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post

I think most people in this forum will agree when towing a trailer you can acutally get better MPG towing with a more powerful TV since your not overstressing the motor and constantly pushing the rpm levels up.

Jack Dog in
So Cal
That's not been my experience.

I average between 12 and 13 mpg over the year with my Toyota Sienna (3.5l 260hp) towing my 7,000 lb 28' International. From the reading I've done here that's pretty much the same for the majority of tow vehicles, regardless of their size.

Where smaller vehicles have the distinct advantage over their bigger cousins is when NOT towing.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dear Andy - Our Guru in Canada

Dear Andy, half of Canada seems to come to Virginia Beach on vacation. Most stay at Holiday Trav-L Park. Therefore I hold out the hope that you will be visiting us here sometime. I don't know if you've ever visited our fair city, but if you do plan to, please call me or PM me, I'd like to thank you personally for all of the good things you do for the Airstreaming community.

Sincerely Paula Ford

Old 01-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
I think most people in this forum will agree when towing a trailer you can acutally get better MPG towing with a more powerful TV since your not overstressing the motor and constantly pushing the rpm levels up.
Not meaning to nit-pick, but that's not my experience. I don't disagree that as far as MPG is concerned, smaller displacement gas engines don't perform any better than larger displacement gas engines when it comes to towing duties.

The difference with a small displacement aspirated gas engine is that it needs to rev much higher than a larger displacement engine to achieve optimum torque. It has been my experience that anyone used to towing with large-displacement engines tend to get un-nerved when towing with small-displacement engines because they aren't used to hearing the engine at high RPM's and assume the engine is going to break and the gas mileage is going to pot.

The fact is that smaller-displacement engines ARE DESIGNED to run continuously at higher RPMS and can deliver essentially the same MPG as their larger displacement cousins. It's not intuitive, but that's what I have observed.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
. . . Remember a safety tip! If too much emphasis is put on balancing the load front to rear, then you may not have enough weight on your rear axle to prevent a jack-knife. When the rear axle is where loss of traction is during a panic stop, then a jack-knife condition is imminent. During a hard stop weight will shift to the front axle so keep the rear axle heavier.
That kind of goes against traditional weight distribution thinking of returning at least the original load to the front axles, and in some cases of heavy tongue weight maybe more.

During a panic stop I think the attached trailer will also shift weight forward keeping the truck's rear wheels on the ground. I've had a few of these stops using good weight distribution and everything stayed in line.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

sport 16 and vw touareg

we are very happy with the touareg as tv with our new 2014 sport 16. the tv is overkill and even use weight distribution.... tv with diesel doesn't know the trailer is behind regardless of hills, etc.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #34

Currently Looking...
Milton , Georgia
Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I'm new here and we have yet to purchase a Bambi, but are hoping to pull it with our BMW X5 xdrive30i. Need to research how to get it done, as I really don't want to buy another car either!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #35
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivera View Post
...hoping to pull it with our BMW X5 xdrive30i. Need to research how to get it done, as I really don't want to buy another car either!
You may want to check out xoutpost.com for BMW X5/X3 specific towing info, including various receivers and installation instructions. WDH info is more complete here.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
Brattleboro , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlwnd View Post
HELP! We just bought a 16' Bambi and it has sat in the driveway now without moving 1" for over 4 months and no hope in sight. We have a BMW X3 that should tow it fine, but....BMW says you can't use a weight distribution anit-sway system; the Bambi dealer says don't tow without it. I installed a tow package on the X3. Dealer told me that included trailer brake control...not true! So now I've bought a wireless trailer brake control box. Everything we do goes round and round and everyone we talk to tells us something different. DOES ANYONE TOW A 16' BAMBI WITH AN X3? From reading, I've learned a Rav and 4 Runner will. They must not have a unibody frame, but must have a solid frame? DOES ANYONE TOW WITHOUT THE ANTI-SWAY WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION? HAS ANYONE USED A WIRELESS BRAKE CONTROL? I don't know what to do! I'm looking at Tacomas and Ford 150s now but that expense was not factored in when I bought the Bambi. We're about ready to throw in the towel, forget the whole thing, and sell it. Any insight...anyone?
We have a 16' Bambi and tow with a Land Cruiser using a Reese weight distribution sway control hitch. I suppose you could say the LC is overkill but we just like the LC. kimball
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Chicago , Illinois
We will be towing our 2014 16' Sport with a 2013 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD. We feel that with the prodigy rf brake control and the fast way hitch setup that our AS dealer recommended that we should be able to tow without issue. Stay tuned!!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Alliance , Ohio
Hi,

I have been keeping up on the thread but am still so confused. What is the smallest GVWR I should look for in a tow vehicle. I am looking at a Chevy Traverse (5,500 GVWR) but would like to go with an Equinox (3500 GVWR) if I can get away with it. It's just me, my husband, and 2 dogs.

Thanks so much for any help
Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #39
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
small city outside a big one , south of some, north of some
If the manufacturer says 3500 and you want to tow a 16' Bambi, you are within the limits I suppose. I could do 5000 with my FJ Cruiser, but I wouldn't. I do a 16' 3500# Bambi and really would not want any more in back of it, partially because the tranny is not really aligned for towing (rock crawling is more like it). But also because the weight to TV weight should make you think twice in a stopping situation.

Also as stated above the high RPM's do make me think twice as ultimately the number of RPM's will determine when engine components fail. Higher RPM, more revolutions, more wear, less mileage before rebuild (or failure).
Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by renderit View Post
Also as stated above the high RPM's do make me think twice as ultimately the number of RPM's will determine when engine components fail. Higher RPM, more revolutions, more wear, less mileage before rebuild (or failure).
Nonsense, look in the Honda Ridgeline owners forum and you will find many of us with over 180k and not looking to rebuild anytime soon. Also look to see what engine is used in the Brickyard race.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Alliance , Ohio
So.... I'm still confused. What GVWR should I look for. At this point I'm just looking at numbers. I want to get the right SUV BEFORE I get the trailer.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #42
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I think the GVWR that you want an answer to is the 16ft Bambi you want, right? If so, then I think its 3500lbs.
Now look for a tow vehicle that tow rating of that, possible a little more just in case you happen to be towing on a hill on a hot day. You'll appreciate a little more power and cooling capacity.