Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Shower grey water reflux from kitchen sink

The last few times we've camped with our 05 28' CCD, every time we empty the kitchen sink the grey water refluxes back into the shower. Our kitchen sink is a large round sink that probably holds 3-4 gallons and is about 2/3's full when I drain it. If I release the sink water slowly, it doesn't reflux into the shower. I'm thinking I'm just overwhelming the grey tank all at once causing the reflux. Anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else have a fix (besides releasing the water slowly)?

BTW, this happens when the grey tank is empty or partially full!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
check valve on shower drain? can you get to the shower drain pipe?

Doug
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs
check valve on shower drain? can you get to the shower drain pipe?

Doug
Thanks Doug for your inquiry,

I'll have to look that one up in my manual (not available to me just now) to see whether the check valve is accessible. I've never had to go there......and I'm guessing it's not readily accessible....but could be wrong. Do you think this check valve could be partially closed/open causing the problem?

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The older coaches like mine came with a shower drain plug that you put in when you were not using the shower. It was to prevent this complaint as well as having any back flow when you were moving it with a full tank.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
The older coaches like mine came with a shower drain plug that you put in when you were not using the shower. It was to prevent this complaint as well as having any back flow when you were moving it with a full tank.
59T

Hmmmmm........that solution sounds too easy!! Yes I do have a shower drain plug......and I even thought of that......but said nah..........I shouldn't have to do that every time I do the dishes. Do you suppose AS didn't address the problem all these years and we still have to put the shower plug in every time we drain the kitchen sink? Thoughts please!

I'm curious what the shower check valve would have to do with this problem. On both our 22' and 28' CCD's I've never had this problem with dish water until now.

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
What about a blocked/partially blocked vent pipe? Bird's nest, bee nest? In our '73, there's a vent pipe just next to the sink and another at back next to the black water tank (no grey tank in ours). I'll bet if the vent pipe in back were to become blocked for some reason, we would have the same problem, based on the location of the sink, tub and tank.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
reflux

Hello Jim and Cheryl. Looks like you made it home ok with the brake situation. I hope our 'fix' worked till you got home.
We had a 71 29ft sovereign with a rear bath and the tanks were back there also. Shower always sloshed black water when travelling. (big bummer). We finally got a plumbers test plug which is a plug for pressure testing lines prior to use. We inserted it in the drain and twisted the wing nut to 'set' the plug when we travelled. No more problem - except for having to put it in and take it out when using. Altho, come to think of it, we never used the shower so it pretty much stayed there.

Good to see you again.... pick on.
Loren and Carolyn
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
What about a blocked/partially blocked vent pipe? Bird's nest, bee nest? In our '73, there's a vent pipe just next to the sink and another at back next to the black water tank (no grey tank in ours). I'll bet if the vent pipe in back were to become blocked for some reason, we would have the same problem, based on the location of the sink, tub and tank.

Jim
Jim,

I'll have to check that out........although it's been in storage in an airplane hanger completely enclosed since we've had it (except for travel). I'll get up on the ladder and check both vent pipes to see if obstructed. Thanks for the input!

Anyone have issues with the check valves "Bibbs" referred to in post #2?

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&C Woogie
Hello Jim and Cheryl. Looks like you made it home ok with the brake situation. I hope our 'fix' worked till you got home.
We had a 71 29ft sovereign with a rear bath and the tanks were back there also. Shower always sloshed black water when travelling. (big bummer). We finally got a plumbers test plug which is a plug for pressure testing lines prior to use. We inserted it in the drain and twisted the wing nut to 'set' the plug when we travelled. No more problem - except for having to put it in and take it out when using. Altho, come to think of it, we never used the shower so it pretty much stayed there.

Good to see you again.... pick on.
Loren and Carolyn
Yes.....Loren....your fix worked....and we even took it to this coast in Waldport this weekend with the same fix. Thanks loads for the help!
(What I'm referring to is at the Area 33 rally we were hitchin' up to leave and put the electric jack [without the jack stand] down onto the 7pin cord to the TV, severing the brake wire. Loren had a wire connector and joined the two to enable us to get home with brakes) Will have to replace the 7 pin wire cord soon!
Your fix on the shower grey water sounds a lot like 59 Toaster's in post #4 in this thread. I have a plug for the shower and will try it....although I don't think it should have to be in place every time I drain the kitchen sink. I'll call my dealer this week to see if they have any suggestions.

BTW.......I'm now on the 5 year plan for learning the Mandolin!

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Vernon , British Columbia
I have a 2005 CCD International and have the same problem with the backup into the shower. I have checked and there are no blockages. After talking to an RV technician he concluded that Airstream did not vent the grey correctly and and air bubbles belch out into the shower. The only vent to the grey tank is actually into the drain line from the Kitchen sink.
There is also a cheater vent under the kitchen sink which I have replaced.
I believe there should be others which have the same problem with shower backup.
We are not trying to find a way to vent the grey water tank correctly.
nickermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
I have a 2006 25' FB Safari and just on our last trip, I drained the sink and heard behind me, "Bleehhhhhuuuuupppp!" I went to the shower, and saw the remains of grey water filtering slowly back down the shower drain. We just dumped our grey water so our tanks were empty. I just put the plug over the drain but it bothered me the entire trip.

Sounds like since Airstream did not vent the grey tank properly, the only way to avoid this would be to drain the water slowly?? Is that the general consensus?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Vernon , British Columbia
not sure about the 25fb but I fixed the problem in my 2005 28 international by installing a vent. See in this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...m-66068-2.html
nickermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickermax View Post
not sure about the 25fb but I fixed the problem in my 2005 28 international by installing a vent. See in this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...m-66068-2.html
That is a great fix. To bad AS didn't build it that way. Personally, I'll use the drain plug in the shower, no offense, just a lot less chance to screw something up. Glad you are that mechanically inclined, I am not. BTW, now I know why AS put the drain plug in the shower.......it was a lot easier and cheaper for them too. Never could figure out why that drain plug was there.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 international