Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Waukesha , Wisconsin
Airstream Quality

I purchased a 2005 28' International this summer. It was from a local dealer, and untitled. It came with the full two year warranty. Since I have had it, I have returned it six times for warranty work from a broken mounting bolt in the brakes to a window improperly installled at the factory. A seized up fresh water tank drain valve. Front fantastic fan and front skylight leaking rain water into the living area. I have contacted customer service and have been advised that the dealer will correct all problems.. The dealer has fixed all the defects. I am begining to form the opinion that Airstream Quality is no better than the travel trailer manufacturers that I am familiar with. Is quality realy a problem with Airstream or do I have an anomaly? DJN
D.J. Neder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi d.j. and welcome to the forums,

lots of info, repair reports and opinions on the 'q' word...

here is a great thread 4 your post and a place to read about other's issues.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ng-11189.html?

there is one like this for several model years and lots of random threads on these issues....

have you been camping?

enjoying the trailer?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Neder
I purchased a 2005 28' International this summer. It was from a local dealer, and untitled. It came with the full two year warranty. Since I have had it, I have returned it six times for warranty work from a broken mounting bolt in the brakes to a window improperly installled at the factory. A seized up fresh water tank drain valve. Front fantastic fan and front skylight leaking rain water into the living area. I have contacted customer service and have been advised that the dealer will correct all problems.. The dealer has fixed all the defects. I am begining to form the opinion that Airstream Quality is no better than the travel trailer manufacturers that I am familiar with. Is quality realy a problem with Airstream or do I have an anomaly? DJN
A few years back, I spent several weeks doing a comprehensive review of Ferraris that had had claims filed under the various states "Lemon Laws".

Airstreams are similar in a number of respects to Ferraris. You buy one for their mystique. You buy one because you love their style. You pay a lot of money for both of them. Neither are particularly high quality.

Welcome to the world of Airstream.

John

ps. If you have a dealer who is willing and able to fix your problems, that's better than I did.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
Craftsman

Your usually better off doing your own repairs if your up to, warranty or no warranty.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Waukesha , Wisconsin
Comparing AS to a Ferrari is interesting. But as I think about it, its reasonable. All I know about Ferrari is that it is red like my Dodge PU but a lot smaller and uglier. I have started doing my own corrections. The significant repairs will be done by the dealer ubntill the waranty runs out. DJN
Old 10-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Neder
I purchased a 2005 28' International this summer. It was from a local dealer, and untitled. It came with the full two year warranty. ....
Why doesn't it have a title? How can a dealer sell ANYTHING without a title?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
DJN,

I have had the same experiences as you. I think the only difference between Airstreams and other trailer brands is the aluminum skin!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Why doesn't it have a title? How can a dealer sell ANYTHING without a title?
Hi Janet:

Brand new vehicles that have never been sold at retail come with a Manufacturer's Certificate of Orgin, which the first purchaser (or his dealer or finance company) sends to the DMV to exchange for a state issued certificate of title. What DJN means is he is the first buyer of this new Airstream; it was not a used trailer.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I ma beginning to agree with the Airstream/expensive car theory.

I have fixed some of the minor problems my self.
At least my Heater still works and the shell is still water tight.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
At least we have something to work with!

I looked at new As's prior to getting my used one. Every unit (about 20) had something cosmetic wrong. From tilted microwaves to doors that would not shut, poorly finished interior walls. The list goes on. I wondered what other hidden problems are possible. So 60K seemed a bit outrageous. I got a nicely taken care of 86 model that does need some work. I can do that work, some can not. My point is that there are those that are happy with the less than first cabin product AS now produces. So be it. Then there are some that are anal about everything, no pleasing them. Lets face it we're towing around glorified drainage pipes that's all. BUT at least we have something to work with!! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Waukesha , Wisconsin
"Titled"

By "untitled I mean that there has been no previous owner except the dealership or faactory. In other words I am the first private owner. Sorry to mislead.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
D.J., check the date of manufacture on the metal plate located on the front corner on the roadside of your coach. You will find the gvw, serial number, etc., and the month and year of manufacture. I will bet it was made in the spring of 2005.

Advise was given to me on this board to get a trailer built in either January or February. These are the two slowest months for Airstream and they have the time to take their time and do it right. We purchased a unit off of the dealer's lot that had the specific options we wanted and were lucky enough to get one built in one of these two months. We have had next to no warranty issues, the biggest being the tank monitors needed calibrating. I could have done this using the instructions provided, but I had to return the coach to the factory for repairs from an accident so I had them to calibrate the monitors while it was there.

The reason I point out the issue about the manufacture date is that spring and early summer is the busiest time of the year for the factory as they are trying to meet the early summer sales demand. That time of the year they are trying to get them out the door as quickly as they can. During the months of the dead of winter, there is little demand and they have more time to spend on getting it right.

I'm sorry you have had so many issues with your new Airstream. It is a pitty that Airstream can't have a more moderated construction schedule and better quality control. I truly consider myself lucky that we got the unit we did and have had no more issues than we have.

Good luck in getting your warranty problems resolved.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Advise was given to me on this board to get a trailer built in either January or February.... These are the two slowest months for Airstream and they have the time to take their time and do it right....
The reason I point out the issue about the manufacture date is that spring and early summer is the busiest time of the year for the factory as they are trying to meet the early summer sales demand. That time of the year they are trying to get them out the door as quickly as they can. During the months of the dead of winter, there is little demand and they have more time to spend on getting it right..
well m'mate they already have the trailer so build date isn't gonna help much.

and i don't agree that jan/feb units are any better...
in fact these and other 'cold weather' built units
can have problems because of production dates,
weather during shipping and so on...
also there are more sick days by workers in the winter...
so staffing can be sort at times...
also frames and axles are delivered just weeks before using and stored outside in the snow/salt/rain/cold...uncovered
many have rust on them even before production starts...i've seen em...
and was the unit properly winterized at the factory and did the dealer screw with it?
jan/feb units often get used as 'rv show' units by the dealers too....

as for the myth of 'slow months vs really busy months'...

this is true on the factory SERVICE side mainly....
and they offer seasonal service incentives for that reason...

i've seen the monthly production numbers...
they don't vary 10% over the year month2month.

>1/2 of the dealers are in warm weather full year camping areas....

yes shoppers get the bug in late winter but not many custom order units...

and dealers place orders way before the winter/spring rv show blip.

there are even factory incentives (financing for example) to get orders early...to boost winter production.

really j/c tries to have a fairly even production cycle,
so workers work, and overtime can be reduced...

lastly another reason to look for units built in feb/mar/apr is that improvements slated for the next model year often are added to these units...

things like higher segment protectors, disc brakes, uprated axles and newer electronics....are a few examples...

now that moho production is not in the main factory things are much different inside...less confusion, clutter and cross activity.
i was just there in september. also been there in jan, march, june and august...
about the same really except for cold, salt, slush and other winter wonders...

IF i ever order another unit....i'll opt for june-august as a build time...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i've seen the monthly production numbers...
they don't vary 10% over the year month2month.
cheers
2air'
I'd like to see those numbers for myself. Where did you get them?

Maybe 10% is enough to make a difference.

Maybe I just live right. All I can say is that I have been blessed with a unit has had none of the 15-20 warranty item list that all these other folks on the forums seem to have.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
All I can say is that I have been blessed with a unit has had none of the 15-20 warranty item list that all these other folks on the forums seem to have.
hi m'mate

i am happy you do.
it is also possible that your dealer properly inspected your trailer,
fixed all the obvioius fit/finish issues,
replaced any items that needed replacing....

b4 offering the unit in sales...

i don't agree with this notion,
but the factory expects the dealer
to take care of many things...
that we might want right before the trailer leaves j/c..

i've been in dealer lots where new units look like they are falling appart
and others where they've fixed everything right....

cheers
2air'

Old 10-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We're nervous reading all these posts about quality.

We are supposed to pick up our 75th 19ft Bambi on Friday. All our body parts are currently crossed, not just fingers, especially since I don't have a lot of confidence in our dealer in case we have issues. 2air probably saw ours being built... I hope he was able to point out any problems to the boys in JC!

I hope the thoughts of winter just around the corner might have enspired the FC crew to bump up quality for builds in October.... uugh

Anyways we only have about a 6 day window before we have to have it in storage too which limits us to testing out everything. The main thing is that the heater works cuz its gonna be cold camping up here!!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Did you buy yours from the dealer in Ontario? We talked to him and he seems very knowledgeable - but we bought in Columbus, Ohio - closer to home. We had several quality issues, none major and ALL taken care of immediately by either the dealer or the factory.

Best of Luck!!!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth...
I feel Mmate may have a point. My Safari 25'FB was mfg'd in Jan 06. We picked it up in Feb, right after it arrived and was serviced by the dealer - in Searcy, AR. To date, the only problem we have found was two screws omitted when the counter top was placed on the kitchen cabnetry. This caused a shift in the lower section, creating a gap in the corner. A square, two clamps and two screws fixed it. Must have been a late Friday afternoon assembly on that section.
Additionally, as was pointed out, the dealer does make a difference. Airstream of Arkansas even has an expensive device that presurrizes (never could spell that word) the interior while they spray lightly soaped water over the exterior...looking for leaks! They then de-winterized it at my request. Nice folks. Nice winter built Airstream...for what it is worth. Thanks for indulging me.
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
My 2005 Classic '31 is still at the dealer waiting for seventeen (17) separate warranty repairs to be finished. So far, I am not pleased whatsoever with build quality. A letter and phone call to Airstream is next. If it has to go back yet again, Airstream will be facing a repurchase as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It's hard to say about quality. We've had very few new Airstreams here on the park, but plenty of brand-new SOBs. In every case, we advise the new owners just to get out pen and paper to make a list of the problems they find in the few days that they're here. (Water system leaks are a pretty common problem among them; the most egregious was one in which the cabin makers put nails smack through the plastic pipes feeding the kitchen sink. Fast-dry JB-Weld did a pretty good job for them.)

Lynn

Tags
2005 international