Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Safari 30' bunkhouse owners club!

There aren't many Safari 30 bunkhouses in existence. This family-friendly floorplan was produced only in the 2005 and 2006 model years, and not very many were made. (I'm hoping to get exact production numbers later.)

But those of us who have them think they're great. As far as I know, there was never another production Airstream made with two full-time bedrooms, so they are unique.

And some of their issues are unique too. This thread is for owners of the Safari 30's to talk about upgrades, repairs, ideas, and issues specific to the Safari 30.

I'll start ... anyone got a good fix for the peeling bathroom vinyl problem?

How about cool upgrades you've done?

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
He Rich....you are right the 30' is a special unit...too bad they never made that one into an SE....I think it would have sold very well.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
He Rich....you are right the 30' is a special unit...too bad they never made that one into an SE....I think it would have sold very well.
That is exactly what we waited for over a year for. Almost to the point that we were unable to buy one at all...all because Airstream in JC kept saying it was coming it was coming. Oh well, at least we got one of the last before it was too late.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
This thread is for owners of the Safari 30's to talk about upgrades, repairs, ideas, and issues specific to the Safari 30.

I'll start ... anyone got a good fix for the peeling bathroom vinyl problem?

How about cool upgrades you've done?
I guess I can start with our dealler installed upgrades.

We had the dealer install two additional fantastic fans in our trailer: one in the Master cabin and one in the kids cabin. That makes a total of three and they really come in handy getting air inside with the hehr windows. I still think those windows were the worst decision Airstream could have made.

We also had the dealer install awnings on the rear end and one on the road side (full length of the road side). They really help when there isn't any shade around.

So far we haven't had the vinyl peel in the bathroom, but I have always suspected that it is just a matter of time. I assume you are talking about the vinyl around the toilet. Or are you talking about the one section of the shower enclosure next to the retractible door? Like most, we had water leaking out of the door roller area, but caulk seems to have fixed the leak.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
I have to agree that the 30 Bunkhouse is a great layout for families. This last summer, we did our usual three week trip in our Safari 25A with our twin boys age 10, our daughter age 8 and the new 90lb Swiss Mountain Dog puppy. The last 1,000 miles of the 5,000 mile trip was spent discussing that we HAD to have a bigger trailer if the family was to continue our travels and still like each other after our trips. Within a week of our return, I found a new 2005 still on the dealer’s lot only 90 miles from our home for a very reasonable price. Sadly, we only spent one weekend in the new unit before she was put away for the winter. However, we are all looking forward to the first spring camping trip as well as our long summer trips.

Two items on my pre-delivery squawk list were the peeling bathroom vinyl and chips on the stairs to the top bunk. The dealer re-glued the vinyl and it has held through December (although at this point it could be frozen into place with our Chicago winter weather). The dealer installed aluminum edging on the steps to hide the chips, and prevent any further chips – plus it looks good too.

This spring I plan on installing 2-3 fantastic fans. Most of our camping is dry, so we must have the fans to circulate and remove hot air. The living room is a must, as well as the rear bedroom. If necessary, I’ll install one in front bedroom.

I am also considering a portable type solar system to keep the batteries topped off. I’ve just begun my research, but any suggestions would be welcome.

One preventive action I am planning is removal of the open/close knob for curb side window near the door (I will keep it in a cabinet for adult use only). It seems that a child could open the window wide, and the door could hit it, resulting in a broken window and/or a dent in the door.

I look forward to meeting and sharing ideas with other Bunkhouse owners!
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis
...One preventive action I am planning is removal of the open/close knob for curb side window near the door (I will keep it in a cabinet for adult use only). It seems that a child could open the window wide, and the door could hit it, resulting in a broken window and/or a dent in the door.
This is one item that I have thought about, too. But it is an issue with units other than the 30'. We just make sure we don't open that window. Others with the traditional tilt-out or awning style windows behind the door have commented on having the same issue and some have had the mis-fortune of loosing that window through the same accident you describe.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Hey guys, thanks for replying -- this is exactly the sort of dialogue I was hoping for!

Minnie's Mate: yes, I was talking about the vinyl around the toilet. It has peeled on every unit I've seen so far. I am considering re-gluing but also would like to find a flexible metal trim edge we can use to hold the corners down.

Our shower leaked eventually, but I've systematically been re-caulking it with GE Silicone II and that seems to work better than the factory original caulk (DAP).

We installed all three Fantastic Vents too. When we are without 30 amp in the summer, they really pay off. We managed 103 in Death Valley last June with those fans -- and a lot of water.

I agree, the windows are the big disappointment of this trailer. We replaced the dinette window with an International type window, which has been a huge help for ventilation.

As far as the window by the entry door, I've accidentally whacked it with the door a few times and so far it hasn't broken. But I'm sure a strong enough blow would do it in.

Rick, on solar, you have enough room for BIG panels. We put in a pair of 130-watt Evergreen panels. With four batteries we have plenty of power all summer. But a smaller set of panels would be cheaper, less obvious (ours sort of junk up the roofline), and still give you some battery re-charging capability. It depends on your needs. We want to be able to boondock with lots of power drain for a week, so we went for the big panels and 4 AGMs.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Here's our list:
  • We've got the vinyl lifting up around the toilet in the latrine
  • Bathroom vent leaks in heavy rain
  • Both of our non-fantastic fan vent covers (front & rear) disintegrated
  • The bedroom door stop & retention strap broke (now we prop the door open for travel)
  • TV & Stereo wiring were mixed up: fixed part of it myself. Still can’t get the outdoor speakers to work – pretty sure the IN-OUT-BOTH switch is wired wrong.
  • Just discovered that the furnace isn’t working. I believe it’s the circuit board, but will have to take in for service as my best troubleshooting has failed.
I'm sure I've blocked out other stuff. I'll post as I remember them.
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Good idea

Hey Rich thanks for starting this thread good idea..

First I love our 30' Bunk it's a great floor plan. She serves as our Tin Cabin on the go... to beat the summer heat of phoenix we motor to the mountains several weekends. Bought her in Paso Robles, CA last April and we traveled about 4000 miles 20 nights. This summer we're planning on Glacier National park so we'll eclipse last summers mileage in one trip. She has had her fair share of poor fit and finish issues click link for my long previous post
http://www.airforums.com/forum...1-post269.html

Mods. Have not done many she has every option except solar. I'm thinking of ripping out the 10 disc changer and mounting an ipod doc station as well as xm radio. I've also considered pulling up the queen bed and dropping in diamond plate for the floor in the front outside hatch. I store the hitch and more tools than I keep at home so it gets a little dirty. Right now it’s cardboard.

I wish the windows were international. The sliding door for the bedroom is cheesy and thin hollow board that can't even hold the screws for the mirror in place. I'm concerned the mirror may fall off during one of my back roads adventurers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&SZinser
Here's our list:
  • We've got the vinyl lifting up around the toilet in the latrine
  • Bathroom vent leaks in heavy rain
  • Both of our non-fantastic fan vent covers (front & rear) disintegrated
Same thing for me
  • The bedroom door stop & retention strap broke (now we prop the door open for travel)
  • TV & Stereo wiring were mixed up: fixed part of it myself. Still can’t get the outdoor speakers to work – pretty sure the IN-OUT-BOTH switch is wired wrong.
Same thing
  • Just discovered that the furnace isn’t working. I believe it’s the circuit board, but will have to take in for service as my best troubleshooting has failed.
Same problem, the connector was not even connected. works fine now.
All told we've done $1534.34 in warranty repair work. $1430 is labor!
More later…
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Good comments, guys. A few thoughts:

R&SZinser wrote:

Quote:
Just discovered that the furnace isn’t working. I believe it’s the circuit board, but will have to take in for service as my best troubleshooting has failed.
Our furnace failed one cold night in the desert in Arizona I think. I was lucky, a 3 a.m. troubleshooting session revealed that one of the fuses was a tiny bit loose. Removing it and replacing it upside-down solved the problem permanently! But I'm not suggesting that solution is going to work for you!

AZstreamin wrote:

Quote:
I'm thinking of ripping out the 10 disc changer and mounting an ipod doc station as well as xm radio.
I've had the same thought on the 10 disc changer. We've never used it and we never will, since all our music is on the iPod. Airstream switched to iPod-ready amps in 2006, so most of us missed it. If you do this mod, be sure to post what unit you chose and whether there were any issues with the install.

Do you have the JVC DVD/CD/Stereo head unit?

Quote:
I've also considered pulling up the queen bed and dropping in diamond plate for the floor in the front outside hatch.
We had a leak through our front compartment (only when towing in the rain) and had to replace all the carpet in the compartment with vinyl tile. The problem here is that the furniture is lifted enough to allow clearance for carpet & pad. When you installed something thinner like diamond plate, you'll need to figure a way to close up the extra clearance, which is close to 1/2". We used a flexible bathroom tub vinyl edging material, which worked fine.

You don't need to take up the bed to do this, but it's a lot of contorting to do it through the front hatch and you need to be sort of wiry like me. Taking off the propane tanks is definitely recommended.

Speaking of which, has anyone else had a front compartment leak? Ours seems to be mounted not-quite-straight and lets rain in during towing but not when parked. Sometimes it's hard to close too. We're having the dealer look at it next week.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I agree, the windows are the big disappointment of this trailer. We replaced the dinette window with an International type window, which has been a huge help for ventilation.
The windows being a disappointment is an understatement. It's my biggest complaint, even though mine is a 25', not a 30'. That modification looks GREAT! I wish Airstream would abandon the cheap windows it puts on the non CCD/SE/Classics. I mean production costs alone from having to do two different type window openings might justify making the better windows the standard......and heck, Airstreams are not inexpensive anyway.......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Our son, daughter in law and two grandsons share one. They've mentioned the leaky shower and not much else. One odd ball incident happened to them. A tire kicked up a rock that knocked off the fresh water drain tap between the axles. Replaced under warranty.

Jay & Cherie
Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Hey there, we have one too!!!

I have a 05 model, made in late 04, bought new in mid 06! I was waiting to buy one until AS was going to offer a SE version which they said they were going to do. When I found out that they had discontinued this model I frantically called the factory for a list of nationwide inventory that remained. My wife and I were crazy about the storage and floorplan of this model from the get go.

I found one with the LS package, queen size lower bunk, sound system upgrade. I really wanted the skylight and couch or gaucho but no luck.

Problems? Well I have the white corrosion at the beltline which AS is going to install the classic trim around the mid section. The cast tailights and main door hinges clear was peeling off which the dealer has since fixed. Both above problems are related to sitting on the dealers lot for 14 months. I do have the peeling vinyl in the bathroom but other than that interior wise we have been very good shape.

Something I have scheduled to have fixed is skin related. Our unit has tears in the outer skin at the lower side of the front storage door. (The same as Rich Luhrs that is leaking). Mine appears to have torn from excess flex in the tongue. My local dealer has seen three others torn exactly the same way and the Safari 30 is unique to this storage door/location. The factory has suggested a powdercoated steel plate to be welded to the frame behind the skin, and a new panel installed on the front.

It is neat to discuss this unique model with other owners.

RSP - Houston Tx
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:

I've had the same thought on the 10 disc changer. We've never used it and we never will, since all our music is on the iPod. Airstream switched to iPod-ready amps in 2006, so most of us missed it. If you do this mod, be sure to post what unit you chose and whether there were any issues with the install.

Do you have the JVC DVD/CD/Stereo head unit?
I believe it is a JVC...DVD/CD... it should not be that difficult of a mod the AUX port on the head unit is used for the changer so I should be able to pull out the head unit unplug the changer. Hook up a doc station via RCA plugs mount and go. The question mark is where to hook up XM. FM Modulators aren't all that great so I may need to end up hooking up an A/B Switch into the AUX port on the head unit and plug the ipod and xm into the switch.

Quote:
Speaking of which, has anyone else had a front compartment leak?
No leaks yet... but then again I don't think it rains here... as a matter of fact I don't remember it raining more than once or twice in a full summer of camping. That leak sounds like a real pain in the butt. Curious to know the cause and fix.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
I spent the day "tweaking" our Equal-I-Zer Hitch and remembered a few more issues:
  • The license plate light cover is rusted and pitted
  • All the screws for the clearance lights are rusted
Both problems probably related to the fact that our trailer sat on a dealer lot for over a year. Manufactured Aug 04, bought May 06.
  • We had the same problem as AZStreamer with the sawdust falling from the radio compartment onto the dinette. I'm going to remove the entire radio to fix the wiring & will install an XM Satellite radio & probably an iPod doc (wish she would make up her mind ). While I'm in there I'll vacuum out all the sawdust.
Anyone else have the metal valve stems on their tires that make it difficult to check air pressure & air up? I can barely get an angled pressure gauge to fit.

Agree with other posters about the great floorplan for a family (2 Adults, 1 Kid, 2 big dogs, & a cat) but it seems that Airstream / Thor could go a bit father towards making Airstream the primer travel trailer brand.
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
I have a 05 model, made in late 04, bought new in mid 06! I was waiting to buy one until AS was going to offer a SE version which they said they were going to do. When I found out that they had discontinued this model I frantically called the factory for a list of nationwide inventory that remained. My wife and I were crazy about the storage and floorplan of this model from the get go.

I found one with the LS package, queen size lower bunk, sound system upgrade. I really wanted the skylight and couch or gaucho but no luck.

RSP - Houston Tx
Yeah, we delayed purchase for a full year because I sent an inquiry to the factory in mid-05 re: SE in the 30' and they told me it was coming in the late summer, early fall. In the fall, the same customer outreach person told me it would be end of the year. Then she told me it would be end of January or early February. When there was no news of it in the forums I wrote an e-mail back to her in late March and got no response. I wrote an e-mail to their general information e-mail address including the entire string of e-mails I had received and my inquiries and the response I got was that the decision to discontinue the 30' model had been made.

We were fortunate enough to find an '06 with the midnight sun interior we wanted with both the sofa and convection microwave oven we wanted. We didn't get the audio/video upgrade, which is the way I would have ordered it, and we didn't get the skylight. I'm glad we didn't get the skylight. Everybody that has one has told me they let in a lot of heat and we really haven't found we need it with the fantastic fan in the kitchen area and the lighter walls.

I installed a 20" LCD and a combination VCR/DVD player and feel I got more service than the 15" LCD would have given us. I used an Omnimount arm with the Airstream mounting backplate and mounted the TV so that it can swing around to the bedroom. We are big movie fans so when the kids go to bed, my wife and I will either sit outside for a short while or watch a movie in bed or watch the news in bed. It does, however, take up the entire doorway to the bedroom so once the movie starts, we are kind of a captive audience.

We feel truly blessed that we have had so few problems with our Airstream. Right now the only warranty issue is one of the latches that holds the access panel under the sofa sticks in the open position and the panel will fall open on occasion. I plan on mailing it to the dealer and asking him to mail me a replacement.

We have been very diligent about drying the toilet platform where the shower leaked after each shower. We also have a small folding step stool that we got at camping world for our younger son to use to reach the toilet and we keep it in front of the toilet to rest our feet on while seated on the toilet rather than rest our feet on the platform. I know this is a pleasant image, but I think this helps protect the front edge of the laminate and helps keep it from coming loose.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Safarian

2005 30' Safari
Falls Church , Virginia
Owners, but not yet Users

Hello Safari 30' Owners! We own one too, but have yet to use it. Ours is at the dealer in Michigan and we will get it down here (Virginia) around the end of March. Then we'll start taking it out on the weekends to get used to it and troubleshoot the various items you all have mentioned.

By the end of summer we will be taking off for a year-long trip around the country. The house will be sold by then and the 30' will be our home! We are new to Airstreams and trailering, so it's all a big, fat jump into the unknown. We're looking forward to it! (Ignorance is bliss...)

Thanks to all of you for your insights and advice. We will gladly contribute soon enough.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #18
Craftsman

I don't own one but enjoy reading the thread, How about some pictures to show the layout and changes you talk about.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Sounds like most of us would have bought the Special Edition if they'd ever come out with it. Like some of you, I asked about it but by the time I asked the decision had been made to kill the floorplan entirely. I can see why they killed it, because the trailer was pretty steep at $52k - $59k (list price) for the target market (families). But you do have to wonder if it would have done better if it were introduced only in SE trim.

By the way, my understanding is that there are only about four of these Safari 30 units left over on dealer lots at present. I'm parked at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford TX tonight and I see they have one here (a 2005). If anyone is lurking on this list and thinking about snagging one, better move soon! I don't think Airstream will be making another two bedroom trailer anytime soon!

Quote:
one of the latches that holds the access panel under the sofa sticks in the open position and the panel will fall open on occasion.
Yeah, and you might want to pick up a few of the black plastic latches for the future. We've found that in frequent use they fail occasionally. It's a simple matter to replace one with a screwdriver, but of course you need to have the part on hand.

The skylight is nice on a cloudy day but not a big deal in my opinion. It doesn't just let heat in. I notice the cold coming through on a night like tonight (25 degrees!), too.

Quote:
We had the same problem as AZStreamer with the sawdust falling from the radio compartment onto the dinette.
We had that issue as well. Eventually it stops ... months later.

AZStreamin: I'll post more about the front compartment leak if we get to it during this round of service. I think the cause is simply misalignment of the compartment door.

Quote:
A tire kicked up a rock that knocked off the fresh water drain tap between the axles.
I've heard of that happening on a lot of newer trailers. Airstream has since introduced a small metal shield that protects the drain tap from rocks. Our Safari 30 has it.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I've heard of that happening on a lot of newer trailers. Airstream has since introduced a small metal shield that protects the drain tap from rocks. Our Safari 30 has it.
I can't remember if ours has it or not. I seem to remember there is a metal flange there, but not sure if it is the same thing you are talking about. I'll have to look this weekend when there is daylight while I'm home. Still get dark before I get home.
WBCCI# 4821