Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #921
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
Reply for AC issue

Hi Tiffany!
While our original AC/Heat pump is running fine, we did some research on getting it replaced in the future and it definitely is doable.
If our units are the same (which I assume they are), the Duo-Therm product number is 99176030.
Model number is 630515.321.
I am uploading a picture I took after taking the AC shroud off and it has all pertinent information.
An Airstream or other RV service location can use that information and they call up Dometic to see which unit can go in its place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	339067  
rosmuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #922
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmuck3 View Post
Hi Tiffany!
While our original AC/Heat pump is running fine, we did some research on getting it replaced in the future and it definitely is doable.
If our units are the same (which I assume they are), the Duo-Therm product number is 99176030.
Model number is 630515.321.
I am uploading a picture I took after taking the AC shroud off and it has all pertinent information.
An Airstream or other RV service location can use that information and they call up Dometic to see which unit can go in its place.
Thank you! This is very helpful.

I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. -Anais Nin
tifspiff9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #923
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Anyone selling soon? We need more aluminum in our life again and are road tripping across the country this week. Shoot me a pm if interested. Mike
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #924
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Question

Quote:
Per SC Family's recent question, I am attaching 3 photos of how we reconfigured the dinette part of ours. We converted it into a large desk and used many of dinette parts to do so. We kept the seating area (couch) the same.
Let us know if you have any questions!
Hi rosmuck3 -- I love your renovation. I'm sorry I didn't see the earlier threads - did you do this work yourself?

My husband and I are thinking of modifying our 2005 bunkhouse too. My husband needs a dedicated work space as we travel. We were thinking about removing the back bunks and putting a workstation in that space since we are kids have grown and that space isn't useful to us anymore.

I was just wondering if when you did your renovation of the dinette area if you considered the back bunk area for your desk, and if you did, did it seem like the compartments cut too much space or were in the way of putting a desk in that area? We would prefer to keep our dinette, but I'm not sure the back bunk area can work due to the storage compartments.

Any thoughts on this from you or others?
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #925
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
Making back bunk area into office

Hi cmrdgrs and thanks for your comments and questions! We had a lot of help on our project thanks to our father in law who knows carpentry pretty well and had all the needed tools.

So we took out the dinette to make that into an office area AND we took out everything out in the bunk area to see what we had. I would recommend you do that so you know what you are working with. We used many of the parts from both sections and reused them in the remodel of those 2 sections.

For you all, I see no issue with keeping the dinette and remodeling the bunk area. I would take out everything and then you can build what you want. The shower drain pipe is under the bunk area and it is a pretty easy job to move that farther towards the outside of the Airstream. Then we built a shelf and a few small cabinets (using the ones that I remember being back there) close to the floor. Then we used one of the bunks and put that up at desk hight. It is supported on the bottom shelf. We had to trim it a bit to be as flush to the curved corner as possible.

Feel free to email me at rosmuck3@yahoo.com and I can give you our contact information and get more information to you such as measurements, photos, etc.

Paul and Haley Mannion (rosmuck3)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #926
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Just thought I’d share an upgrade we just completed. Custom J-lounge built by Villa. Turned out better than expected and now I have a comfortable place to relax inside the trailer. My wife wouldn’t allow me to remove the dinette so this was our compromise. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0309.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	351882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	351883
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #927
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Cliff, Nicely done!

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #928
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
Just thought I’d share an upgrade we just completed. Custom J-lounge built by Villa. Turned out better than expected and now I have a comfortable place to relax inside the trailer. My wife wouldn’t allow me to remove the dinette so this was our compromise. Attachment 351882Attachment 351883
That looks awesome!!! We are actually in the process of upgrading the interior, adding a second ac, new axels.. Lots of stuff..

Would you mind sharing the details of your custom order, maybe a PM with the order number and contact info for the company? You took all the work out of it for me and I am going to just duplicate your order for our bunkhouse. Thanks and great job, it looks awesome!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #929
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
Just thought I’d share an upgrade we just completed. Custom J-lounge built by Villa. Turned out better than expected and now I have a comfortable place to relax inside the trailer. My wife wouldn’t allow me to remove the dinette so this was our compromise. Attachment 351882Attachment 351883
Gorgeous! I love your new couch, and storage draw underneath. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #930
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Hi cmrdgrs and thanks for your comments and questions! We had a lot of help on our project thanks to our father in law who knows carpentry pretty well and had all the needed tools.

So we took out the dinette to make that into an office area AND we took out everything out in the bunk area to see what we had. I would recommend you do that so you know what you are working with. We used many of the parts from both sections and reused them in the remodel of those 2 sections.

For you all, I see no issue with keeping the dinette and remodeling the bunk area. I would take out everything and then you can build what you want. The shower drain pipe is under the bunk area and it is a pretty easy job to move that farther towards the outside of the Airstream. Then we built a shelf and a few small cabinets (using the ones that I remember being back there) close to the floor. Then we used one of the bunks and put that up at desk hight. It is supported on the bottom shelf. We had to trim it a bit to be as flush to the curved corner as possible.

Feel free to email me at rosmuck3@yahoo.com and I can give you our contact information and get more information to you such as measurements, photos, etc.

Paul and Haley Mannion (rosmuck3)
Hi rosmuck3 -- sending you an email. Thank you
Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #931
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
The couch looks great! Thanks for sharing where you got it from.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #932

Nanaimo , British Columbia
Question ISO 30' bunkhouse

hello! I am new here. We had an old land yacht we sold and we are looking for a 30' safari bunk to full time with kids . Anyone know of any for sale around that are in excellent condition with all the bells and whistles complete? we can fly to pick up

possibly buy a truck too (tundra preferred)
cheers!
Tristan
TristanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #933
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
Welcome Tristan!
They are out there and they pop up on the market from time to time. I would try a US and Canada wide Craigslist search like searchtempest.com. There are other ones too. Finding one in excellent condition (most are at least on decent condition) with all the bells and whistles done may be a a lot tougher but you can also add things after purchase). We definitely had to replace and add some parts to ours (which we modified to make 2 offices inside) but it was well worth it.

Paul M.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #934
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
I totally forgot to mention that you probably have seen the newer bunkhouses in the Flying Cloud line. There aren't many of them either but they may be closer to what you are looking for.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #935
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
If anyone is looking, our bunkhouse is sadly for sale. Not in "excellent condition with all the bells and whistles" as it is from this group of the 2005s but we loved her as our full-time home. Never thought we'd sell but divorce (no, not from living in such a small space) has forced my hand. Willing to deliver depending on location as well. So sad to leave the #30bunkclub but hopefully not my last aluminum dream.

Listed on Airstream Classifieds, Airstream Hunter, and Craigslist.

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...000749630.html

I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. -Anais Nin
tifspiff9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #936
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
1 amp in-line fuse for LP gas detector location?

Hello fellow 30' bunkhouse owners! We have a 2005 Safari 30' bunkhouse (obviously).
Do any of you know where the 1 amp in-line fuse is located for the LP gas detector is located? We have looked as many places as possible and can not find it. Our LP gas detector went dead.
Thanks!
Paul M.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #937
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Hello fellow 30' bunkhouse owners! We have a 2005 Safari 30' bunkhouse (obviously).
Do any of you know where the 1 amp in-line fuse is located for the LP gas detector is located? We have looked as many places as possible and can not find it. Our LP gas detector went dead.
Thanks!
Paul M.
Is the LP detector bad or you think it blew a fuse? An LP detector is only good for so long (5-7 years, I think) and will go bad, fuse or no fuse. I've replaced the LP detector in two Airstreams, including my current bunkhouse, and never found a fuse. It is hard-wired into the battery circuit of the camper and remains powered-on unless a switch has been added post-factory.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #938
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Donalds , South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks!
Paul M.
There is a video online that may be of some help...
https://youtu.be/rX40ORq8K4A
SCFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #939
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
Lift kit installed on 30' Safari

In case you all are interested in doing the same thing, we just had a lift kit installed on our 2005 Safari 30' BH. We have the older Henschen axles (I think Dexter axles are most common over the past 10+ years or so) but the techs at Airstream at Oklahoma were able to get a 3" Dexter lift kit installed on them with only a few modifications (move propane line, bolt holes were slightly off, etc.). This lift makes all the difference (easier to get in and out of parking lots and some alley)s but it isn't so extreme where it looks weird. I believe installing them on Dexter axles is a lot easier if you have those now.
I am attaching some after photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8237.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	367503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8241.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	367504  

Name:	IMG_8242.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	367505  
Old 05-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #940
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
In case you all are interested in doing the same thing, we just had a lift kit installed on our 2005 Safari 30' BH. We have the older Henschen axles (I think Dexter axles are most common over the past 10+ years or so) but the techs at Airstream at Oklahoma were able to get a 3" Dexter lift kit installed on them with only a few modifications (move propane line, bolt holes were slightly off, etc.). This lift makes all the difference (easier to get in and out of parking lots and some alley)s but it isn't so extreme where it looks weird. I believe installing them on Dexter axles is a lot easier if you have those now.
I am attaching some after photos.
I'm surprised that they didn't recommend replacement of the axles. I had to have mine replaced because I bent a spindle but they really didn't have much flexibility left in them. After replacement, my trailer was up a good inch or so (don't recall the exact measurement by the shop). He advised 16" wheels and tires for another small lift, but I opted not to go in another $2000 when I had $3500 in the axles and labor. He had a nice set of newer 15" factory take-offs with reasonably new tires on them though and that made a nice upgrade from the original factory 15"s for not much money.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheels.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	367519  
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote