Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #861
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhbells View Post
So it's official; were looking for an 05 or 06 Bunkhouse. 😊

I got all excited seeing a few listings and then saw they are all sold. I'll walk the fine line of cursing you that have them and taking notes.
Hi! If you are still searching for your Airstream, I would encourage you to look on some of the nationwide Craigslist search engines. We found ours that way last summer in Minnesota and I think it was only posted on one regional Craigslist site! I would also recommend having cash ready and be willing to hop in your truck right away to travel to get it before someone else grabs it.
rosmuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #862
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-travel View Post
I echo this advise.
First tow with your new truck, then decide. If you end up with a long bed, that will improve sway/handling. I had the Hensley, and it was super smooth tow, especially in freeways with cross-winds or 18 wheelers passing you by.

But...

You pay the price:
- Hooking becomes a super precise NASA level maneuver.
- Backing up becomes even trickier
We started with an equalizer hitch when we purchased our Airstream new in 2006 and although it was OK, it was the cross-winds after our first summer of towing while I was driving our truck/Airstream through Texas that had me look at DH and say "We need a better hitch! I want to look at the Hensley." Obviously, we chose the Hensley, but I have heard good things about ProPride too.

We have towed our Airstream as many as 7,500 miles in a summer season, so maybe for us the Hensley made more sense. I also didn't like how on the equalizer you had to loosen the sway bars before backing up the trailer to unhitch at a camping spot. We forgot to do this once and snapped something on one of our sway bars once when we were backing up and maneuvering into a tight spot.

DH and I have struggled from time-to-time with hitching up, but we work pretty well as a team, so for us it isn't really a big deal. I back and he directs (he is the better director!). I have watched him hitch up the Hensley solo (more tricky) and yes, I'd agree it has necessary precision over a standard ball. That's a good point for the poster to think about.

Definitely pros and cons to the Hensley and the Equalizer. However, if the poster is moving around the country a lot, and putting a lot of miles on his new Airstream, I'd still hands down recommend the Hensley. I can't recommend the ProPride from experience, but I hear good things about that too.

For me and my family, the cost of the Hensley and the minor "NASA precision" hassle of the hitching process was worth the price tag of feeling much, much safer when we towed (over the Equalizer). As I stated in my PP I can honestly say that I believe the Hensley saved us from losing control of our camper and avoiding an accident or two over the years due to close encounters with deer/elk on the highway or on a steep downgrade, and/or in heavy cross-wind situations. I'm not a paid spokesperson for Hensley, just a very firm believer in their product having owned and towed our 30' bunkhouse with both an Equalizer and a Hensley. There is just no comparison in IMO.

Just my 2 cents rosmuck3. Good luck with your decision.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #863
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Hey rosmuck3, congratulations on your new home! My wife and I and our two little girls are in our 3rd week of fulltime living and we're loving it! Lots of adjustments and things to learn but thats the fun part too.

We purchased a BlueOx Swaypro 1000. We love it, super easy to use. We have already been in a couple sketchy situations and the hitch helped big time! Only about $500+ online too.
Mortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #864
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Alright, bunkhouse crew (and anyone who camps with kids)!!! Details soon to follow in a separate thread in the Rally forum for the 1st annual kids and/or bunkhouse rally that's been trying to launch for a few years now. General details are:

Late June 2017
East Central Tennessee
Open to anyone with a bunkhouse model, any model trailer with any number of kids in tow, or anyone with a generally awesome outlook on life who wants to share in the experience!!!

Our summer trek has us pegged here whether a rally materializes or not. So no worries if you can't make it, but you'll be missing out on an awesome time!!!

Ironing out a few more details in the coming days before official announcement...look for details on dates, location, amenities, etc. to follow in the Rallies forum. This might involve at least one informal caravan, so be sure to check out the details on the Rally thread under the Rallies forum! Absolutely can't wait for summer!!!!!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #865
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Here's the link to the Bunkhouse & Kids Rally thread-- would love to see as many Bunkhouses there as possible!!! Share any info you have on that thread, otherwise bump it however often you think about it to help spread the word!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1905630

Dave & Alisa
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #866
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
If anyone is parting with their bunkhouse, please let me know. 4 kids and there is no other way...
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #867
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Donalds , South Carolina
Family of 4 searching for a bunkhouse!

Hello All,

My wife and 2 kiddos are looking for a bunkhouse. We currently have a 27' rear twin that we have converted the goucho in, but it seems we spend half our camping trip converting our bed into a dinette and back. Something's gotta give! We are in upstate SC and would love to know if anyone sees one available! Thanks in advance.
SCFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #868
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFamily View Post
Hello All,

My wife and 2 kiddos are looking for a bunkhouse. We currently have a 27' rear twin that we have converted the goucho in, but it seems we spend half our camping trip converting our bed into a dinette and back. Something's gotta give! We are in upstate SC and would love to know if anyone sees one available! Thanks in advance.
There was one for sale in Kentucky recently. It may still be available.
Mortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #869
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Donalds , South Carolina
It has been sold. It came available while I was on vacation with my family! It went quickly. Thanks though..
Old 04-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #870
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortland View Post
There was one for sale in Kentucky recently. It may still be available.
If you are talking about the '05 that was in the Airstream classified section 2005 BH -- it looks like it sold, and pretty quick too! It was listed April 12th.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #871
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
SCFAMILY - Check your private messages for a reply from Gwydir.
gwydir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #872
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn , Nebraska
New member, in search of bunkhouse

Hello everyone! I'm a new member as of today but I've been trying to read the back pages of the forum for a couple of days now. My wife and I are interested in finding an '05-'06 Safari 30 bunkhouse for our family, which includes two daughters both under 3yo.

I've located one in California but we are in Nebraska so it's not an easy trip to go look at it. I've also seen one that is listed as a VRBO rental in San Diego. We've considered going out there to rent it for a couple of days to make sure the layout works for our family.

My question is this: considering the shortage of the Safari bunks on the market, has anyone met anyone or had any luck converting another model of Airstream to add bunks? Any recommendations on the best floorplan for adding bunks? We do want to maintain a separate sleeping space for the wife and myself since I'm a light sleeper and even small noises from the kids are liable to wake me up a lot. Our first choice is still to find a good Safari bunk model, but we are keeping options open.

Also, any regrets on the smaller, non-panorama windows on front and back of the Safari bunkhouse? This is my biggest concern since my wife likes a lot of natural light inside. I know the newer Flying Cloud bunkhouse models have a panorama window but those are outside of our price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice and pointers you all may be able to offer!

Cheers,

Robert
robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #873
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Windows are personal, but I don't mind ours at all. Door location is what'll limit you on converting. Having enough space for separate rooms. Good luck!!!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #874
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Big windows are great in nice weather, but cold in winter. We had two sets in our 25' and I don't miss them one bit in our 30'. And I love a lot of light.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #875
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Donalds , South Carolina
We took a 2000 27' safari rear twin and converted the front gaucho into a convertible dinette. The kids have the rear twins, which are kind of private and we used the converted area up front for our double/ queen bed. It works nicely as long as you don't mind converting your sleeping area daily into a dinette/ sitting area. It seems to be a cheaper option than buying a bunkhouse. We are camping more and more and finally decided we wanted a bunkhouse for the separate, defined, sleeping areas. It took us a while, but we finally found ours!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #876
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome!

Welcome robert k!

The only Airstream that I've ever owned is our bunkhouse, so it is hard for me to compare on the windows, as a PP said that is very personal.

That being said, I don't find the BH to be dark at all. I usually lift the front outside tinted window to let extra light into the master and also the BH has a skylight (with a retractable inside shade). With the skylight open I find that really adds quite a bit of light to the middle of the Airstream. I think you'll have to see one in person to make that decision for yourself.

On the flip side, all that sun can make the Airstream hot inside. When we are traveling it is usually summer, so we are usually putting out our awnings, closing the shades and looking for shade to park under to help keep it cool inside the Airstream (think Amarillo TX or Moab UT with no shade in July).

Good luck in your quest to find a BH. They are out there from time-to-time, and it seems like they sell quickly.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #877
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I echo everything cmrdgrs said above. We feel that we get plenty of light in ours and actually have made black-out curtains for ours so that we can control the light better. That being said, I've owned 70's airstreams with vista windows and the full-size pop out windows. I really miss the full opening windows. That is a major attractant to getting a newer bunkhouse, but for the same reason as you (robert_K), I won't put down the money for that :-) The little 1/4-height screw-out windows on the 05-06 bunkhouses really suck. You have to run around the entire camper opening windows just to get air to come in and you can't have the one over the coffee table (or couch if you have the other layout) open with the entry door open or they collide.

I put bunks into my '74 Overlander. They were fine for my kids at the time (5 & 7). Those kids now at 9 and 11 would have been far less comfortable. Even so, it still made the layout hard to use. The layout of the bunkhouse givens good separation of parents and kids and everyone can use the common areas and bathroom without invading others' personal space.

As far as finding another one, you've notified here so if someone sells they will let you know (that how I got mine!). Might be good to follow "Airstream Hunter" and "Airstream Addicts" on facebook as well.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #878
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn , Nebraska
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We'll keep searching and hope that a Safari bunk turns up, or that someone decides to offload a '14 FC bunkhouse at a price more in our ballpark.

That said, if anyone on here lives near Omaha, Nebraska (or maybe passing through) and would have a few minutes one day for my wife and I to just see the inside of an '05 or '06 bunkhouse, it would be greatly appreciated. We went and looked at a rebuilt '69 Sovereign yesterday, and it definitely taught me that you have to see the inside of each Airstream model in person in order to get a real sense of the layout, light, and functionality.

Cheers!

Robert
Old 09-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #879
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn , Nebraska
National Parks and trailer size

My wife has found a potential hitch in our Safari bunk plans. She was reading elsewhere that many of the National Parks do not have campsites for trailers over 25 feet or longer. Or, if they do accept trailers of that size, they only have a few spots available.

What have Safari bunk owners experienced with getting their trailers into National Parks? We would mostly be looking to camp in the western US and southwest.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #880

Currently Looking...
Thomasville , North Carolina
Bunkhouses

Hello everyone, we are new to the forum - We are currently looking for a vintage/older bunkhouse style AS that has been remodeled to accommodate a larger family. We have three children and would like for each of them to have a permanent space. Any advice or recommendations appreciated! Please message me if you or someone you know has something that fits that description. Thanks!
AliceP is offline   Reply With Quote