Old 01-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #855
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmeyer View Post
Wow. So glad to have found this forum thread.

I just purchased our 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse a few weeks ago. It's our first Airstream. First camper really. We're going to be selling our house this spring and setting out on our year long, perhaps a lot longer, traveling adventure.

I'm thinking a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. I'm wanting to bring my motorcycle along in the bed and the cab will be crowded with my wife, our three kids (ages 5, 7, 9) and a 50 lb dog. So a truck with a big payload is important. I'm not sure on whether I should go diesel either.

My cash budget is no more than $30k. We don't want to have a payment. I'd love to hear y'alls recommendations as I'm a novice when it comes to towing.

Thanks y'all. We can't wait to get started on our full-timing adventure in our new Airstream.

-Sean
Hi Sean,
Congratulations on your Airstream Bunkhouse, and on your decision to go on your traveling adventure. We did the same back in 2010: Purchased a Bunkhouse, sold our house in Texas and set off for a year on the road.

We end up selling our cars and purchased a GMC 2500 Diesel truck.
That truck was awesome. We hauled the "Silver Whale" over the rockies and over a Tetons pass, and Alaska no problem.

Also, breaking power is just as important as hauling power. Get a truck that has some breaking aid mechanism. Dodge trucks have "Jake Brake", GMC/Chevy have the Allison Transmission. It is a white knuckle experience to come down a 10% incline for 10 miles stepping on the brakes and still gaining speed.

Hope this helps!

photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #856
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Anthem , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmeyer View Post
Wow. So glad to have found this forum thread.

I just purchased our 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse a few weeks ago. It's our first Airstream. First camper really. We're going to be selling our house this spring and setting out on our year long, perhaps a lot longer, traveling adventure.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good tow vehicle solution. I have an old 2002 Chevy Suburban that I used to go pick up the Airstream from down in Texas. It did great towing it back to my home here in Evergreen, Colorado. Until, at least, I hit the Rocky Mountains. Going up I-70 west of Denver the Suburban seemed to get really bogged down. I had the accelerator mashed and I was still slowing going up steep inclines.

I'm thinking a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. I'm wanting to bring my motorcycle along in the bed and the cab will be crowded with my wife, our three kids (ages 5, 7, 9) and a 50 lb dog. So a truck with a big payload is important. I'm not sure on whether I should go diesel either.

My cash budget is no more than $30k. We don't want to have a payment. I'd love to hear y'alls recommendations as I'm a novice when it comes to towing.

Thanks y'all. We can't wait to get started on our full-timing adventure in our new Airstream.

-Sean
Welcome seanmeyer! Congratulations on your purchase!

Agree on the PP comment about stopping power on your truck. DH and I installed an exhaust break on our 2000 Excursion and it was one of the best improvements we made to feeling safer while towing our Airstream BH over the mountains and dealing w/steep grades. We also feel our Hensley Hitch has saved our lives in some pretty scary situations when we've had to break hard and maneuver unexpectedly due to close calls with deer/elk on the hwy. Don't scrimp there either. I promise you it will be the best $3,000 investment you ever made for your family's safety.

Safe travels on the road. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #857
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for the replies y'all. At this point I'm thinking we'll likely end up with a Diesel Crew Cab. Probably a 1 ton for the extra payload for carrying my motorcycle. You guys made an excellent point about the extra stopping power available with the diesel exhaust brakes.

The Airstream came with an equal-i-zer hitch and I didn't get any noticeable sway at all on my one trip using it. Is that on-par with the Hensley hitch or would the Hensley hitch be a worthwhile safety improvement? $3000 seems pretty steep for only a marginal improvement.
seanmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 AM   #858
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
My 30' tows better than my 25' did, both with equalizers. I wouldn't jump at the Hensley yet. Tow with what you have first. Especially with a 1-ton.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 AM   #859
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe I would buy a ProPride if I had the money.
The Equal-I-zer performs well, as did the EazLift before.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #860
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
My 30' tows better than my 25' did, both with equalizers. I wouldn't jump at the Hensley yet. Tow with what you have first. Especially with a 1-ton.
I echo this advise.
First tow with your new truck, then decide. If you end up with a long bed, that will improve sway/handling. I had the Hensley, and it was super smooth tow, especially in freeways with cross-winds or 18 wheelers passing you by.

But...

You pay the price:
- Hooking becomes a super precise NASA level maneuver.
- Backing up becomes even trickier
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #861
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhbells View Post
So it's official; were looking for an 05 or 06 Bunkhouse. 😊

I got all excited seeing a few listings and then saw they are all sold. I'll walk the fine line of cursing you that have them and taking notes.
Hi! If you are still searching for your Airstream, I would encourage you to look on some of the nationwide Craigslist search engines. We found ours that way last summer in Minnesota and I think it was only posted on one regional Craigslist site! I would also recommend having cash ready and be willing to hop in your truck right away to travel to get it before someone else grabs it.
rosmuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #862
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Anthem , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-travel View Post
I echo this advise.
First tow with your new truck, then decide. If you end up with a long bed, that will improve sway/handling. I had the Hensley, and it was super smooth tow, especially in freeways with cross-winds or 18 wheelers passing you by.

But...

You pay the price:
- Hooking becomes a super precise NASA level maneuver.
- Backing up becomes even trickier
We started with an equalizer hitch when we purchased our Airstream new in 2006 and although it was OK, it was the cross-winds after our first summer of towing while I was driving our truck/Airstream through Texas that had me look at DH and say "We need a better hitch! I want to look at the Hensley." Obviously, we chose the Hensley, but I have heard good things about ProPride too.

We have towed our Airstream as many as 7,500 miles in a summer season, so maybe for us the Hensley made more sense. I also didn't like how on the equalizer you had to loosen the sway bars before backing up the trailer to unhitch at a camping spot. We forgot to do this once and snapped something on one of our sway bars once when we were backing up and maneuvering into a tight spot.

DH and I have struggled from time-to-time with hitching up, but we work pretty well as a team, so for us it isn't really a big deal. I back and he directs (he is the better director!). I have watched him hitch up the Hensley solo (more tricky) and yes, I'd agree it has necessary precision over a standard ball. That's a good point for the poster to think about.

Definitely pros and cons to the Hensley and the Equalizer. However, if the poster is moving around the country a lot, and putting a lot of miles on his new Airstream, I'd still hands down recommend the Hensley. I can't recommend the ProPride from experience, but I hear good things about that too.

For me and my family, the cost of the Hensley and the minor "NASA precision" hassle of the hitching process was worth the price tag of feeling much, much safer when we towed (over the Equalizer). As I stated in my PP I can honestly say that I believe the Hensley saved us from losing control of our camper and avoiding an accident or two over the years due to close encounters with deer/elk on the highway or on a steep downgrade, and/or in heavy cross-wind situations. I'm not a paid spokesperson for Hensley, just a very firm believer in their product having owned and towed our 30' bunkhouse with both an Equalizer and a Hensley. There is just no comparison in IMO.

Just my 2 cents rosmuck3. Good luck with your decision.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #863
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Hey rosmuck3, congratulations on your new home! My wife and I and our two little girls are in our 3rd week of fulltime living and we're loving it! Lots of adjustments and things to learn but thats the fun part too.

We purchased a BlueOx Swaypro 1000. We love it, super easy to use. We have already been in a couple sketchy situations and the hitch helped big time! Only about $500+ online too.
Mortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #864
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Alright, bunkhouse crew (and anyone who camps with kids)!!! Details soon to follow in a separate thread in the Rally forum for the 1st annual kids and/or bunkhouse rally that's been trying to launch for a few years now. General details are:

Late June 2017
East Central Tennessee
Open to anyone with a bunkhouse model, any model trailer with any number of kids in tow, or anyone with a generally awesome outlook on life who wants to share in the experience!!!

Our summer trek has us pegged here whether a rally materializes or not. So no worries if you can't make it, but you'll be missing out on an awesome time!!!

Ironing out a few more details in the coming days before official announcement...look for details on dates, location, amenities, etc. to follow in the Rallies forum. This might involve at least one informal caravan, so be sure to check out the details on the Rally thread under the Rallies forum! Absolutely can't wait for summer!!!!!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #865
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Here's the link to the Bunkhouse & Kids Rally thread-- would love to see as many Bunkhouses there as possible!!! Share any info you have on that thread, otherwise bump it however often you think about it to help spread the word!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ml#post1905630

Dave & Alisa
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #866
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
If anyone is parting with their bunkhouse, please let me know. 4 kids and there is no other way...
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #867
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Donalds , South Carolina
Family of 4 searching for a bunkhouse!

Hello All,

My wife and 2 kiddos are looking for a bunkhouse. We currently have a 27' rear twin that we have converted the goucho in, but it seems we spend half our camping trip converting our bed into a dinette and back. Something's gotta give! We are in upstate SC and would love to know if anyone sees one available! Thanks in advance.
SCFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #868
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFamily View Post
Hello All,

My wife and 2 kiddos are looking for a bunkhouse. We currently have a 27' rear twin that we have converted the goucho in, but it seems we spend half our camping trip converting our bed into a dinette and back. Something's gotta give! We are in upstate SC and would love to know if anyone sees one available! Thanks in advance.
There was one for sale in Kentucky recently. It may still be available.

Mortland is offline   Reply With Quote