Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #461
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-travel View Post
Since we got it in the last months of 2009 we spend time doing some repairs and customizations. ...
I hope that we are (almost) done! and start enjoying more our Safari 30 BB.
I hope you enjoy your Safari 30 too! But you'll find the "upgrade bug" is hard to shake off. We've done most of the repairs and mods you have, and many others -- and we keep finding more things to change/upgrade!

How about these:

-- 12v electric fans to refrigerator vent stack, to increase cooling on very hot days
-- catalytic heater for boondocking
-- flagpole holder
-- piano hinge and gas struts to master bed platform, for easier storage access
-- additional/larger batteries for extended boondocking
-- solar panels
-- disc brakes
-- stainless furnace and water heater covers
-- anode rod with quick-drain on water heater
-- Centramatic wheel balancers
-- Vista View windows in bedroom
-- International-style window by dinette
-- Michelin LTX tires to replace the failure-prone ST tires

... and the list goes on forever. Somebody stop me!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #462
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas
Thanks all!

Richard,
Those customizations look awesome! I particularly like the International style window.
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #463
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
We loved our bunkhouse........bought it from Bill Thomas in June '04; traded it back to him in October '07 for the 25FB......I miss it!
We must of bought your old one then! We pick up ours from Bill Thomas in March of 08! Thanks for treating her so well!
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #464

Currently Looking...
2005 18' Westphalia
Batesville , Arkansas
If anyone knows of a Bunkhouse for sale - I'm looking. My family has expanded to 3 children so we sold the Westfalia.
RibTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #465
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi Sweetstream, thanks for the compliment.....(yes, I'm a clean-freak; but I really do enjoy my disorder). Feel free to ask me any questions about its history.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #466
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Mississippi
Hello again everyone,

Our planned purchase of a Bunkhouse back in December fell through, so we are still in the market for one. If anyone knows of a Bunkhouse for sale. Please let me know.

Thanks!
dbkerrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #467
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Google, Bing and Yahoo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkerrjr View Post
Hello again everyone,

Our planned purchase of a Bunkhouse back in December fell through, so we are still in the market for one. If anyone knows of a Bunkhouse for sale. Please let me know.

Thanks!
I searched for Airstream Bunkhouse on Google, bought a ticket on Bing and have used Yahoo many years.
If not today, just keep looking.
Call dealers, maybe not the cheapest way to go but you will get lucky.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #468
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Bunkhouse for Sale

For those who've just indicated they're looking for a bunkhouse, check your private messages....or contact me.

Our son and daughter in law have one that is more trailer than needed as the family has grown up. It is a '05 they bought new are ready to sell. But don't ask them about their vintage Caravel. They would never part with that.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #469
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
COMFORT , Texas
Well we thought we were going to use ours a whole lot more than we have and being our second Airstream we figured this would be our retirement home as well....things never do sort out the way you planned..anyway we bought this new from Sutton RV in Eugene Oregon and have made one long trip to Montana after bringing it back to Texas and other than that we've made 3 maybe 4 short trips around central Texas...no smoker and no issues....PM if you're interested Thanks...Don...almost forgot pictures :
http://picasaweb.google.com/11715076...reamBunkhouse#
captdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #470

2003 22' International CCD
Waconia , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdaddy View Post
Well we thought we were going to use ours a whole lot more than we have and being our second Airstream we figured this would be our retirement home as well....things never do sort out the way you planned..anyway we bought this new from Sutton RV in Eugene Oregon and have made one long trip to Montana after bringing it back to Texas and other than that we've made 3 maybe 4 short trips around central Texas...no smoker and no issues....PM if you're interested Thanks...Don...almost forgot pictures :
Picasa Web Albums - 11715076985260808... - Airstream Bun...
is this still for sale? If so reply to bill@baselinefm.com

Thanks, Bill
asics2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #471
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Here is an active listing on Craigslist in Dickson, TN for $37,000:

2005 Airstream 30' Safari Bunkhouse
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #472
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
One for sale on eBay right now. I can't talk Andrea into a loan for it :-(

2005 Airstream Safari LS 30' Immaculate Simply Like New: eBay Motors (item 370408753894 end time Aug-05-10 15:54:29 PDT)
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #473
Sandy Sanders

2005 30' Safari
Green Valley , Arizona
2005 Airstream Safari LS 30' Bunkhouse for sale

I listed my Airstream trailer and a premium vacation site in Airstream Classifieds today (7/23/10). If interested, this URL provides details, click on Classifieds: Ponderosa Shadows Inc
e-mail: HMSandySanders@cox.net
Tel.: (520) 399-0829
Sandy Sanders
Old 07-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #474
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Tank Sensors

I've been working on my monitoring system for the holding tanks. They have never worked properly but I think I've finally traced down the problem. I took the monitor off the wall and checked the RJ11 jacks and none of them were crimped well. It looks like the technician used needle nose plyers to crimp them. I cut the black RJ11 at the monitor and also at the sensor since it is exposed below and replaced them with new RJ11 jacks. After calibrating the system it worked for the first time since I've owned it. I would love to do the same to the gray and the fresh tanks but access is not obvious. Sorry for the long post but does anyone have instructions of how to access the gray and fresh sensors?

Thanks!
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #475
1 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Concan , Texas
Wanted: 30' Safari Bunkhouse

Anyone selling theirs? We are looking to upgrade from our Bambi.

Christen
830-232-6637
cedboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #476
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedboone View Post

Christen
830-232-6637
See post #473
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #477
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedboone View Post

Christen
830-232-6637
Chisten,

Yes the post above indicated someone on this thread looking to sell their Bunkhouse and recently there was one for sale on eBay. I don't know if it sold or not, and I do not think it was relisted. The one on eBay looked in great shape. Compared to my BH that has traveled approx. 25,000 miles -- we have a few dings on our skin from our travels, this one looked like it was hardly used and was very clean. Contact RLB Autogroup (they are based in Fort Worth Texas) here is their eBay contact page:

eBay My World - rlbautogroup

I don't know if this link will work for the listing that has expired, but here it is:

2005 Airstream Safari LS 30' Immaculate Simply Like New: eBay Motors (item 370408753894 end time Jul-22-10 12:52:53 PDT)

Best of luck! We love our Bunkhouse.

Carolyn
Old 08-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #478
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Smile Catcon Tank Sensors

Hi All,

As we posted earlier the tank sensors in our 2005 30' bunkhouse never worked from day one. Very frustrating. We even had our BH back to the Airstream factory while it was under warranty to have it checked out and they did not fix the problem. All they did was calibrate the tanks and within one day after leaving the factory they were back to not working.

For us, we find it very frustrating to not have any idea what the status is of our tanks.

Since the Catcon parts are under warranty for 5 years we decided in a last ditch effort to attempt to fix the problem ourselves. We finally got a hold at someone at Catcon and they are sending new sensors - only problem now was figuring out how to find/replace them.

After looking at the wiring work from the factory it seemed like they did a poor job with putting the cat 5 ends on the wires. We recut and put new ends on.

The black sensor is easy -- it is on the pipe you see it and it can easily be replaced.

After much work, we were able to locate the gray/fresh sensors. We cut a hole in the outer casing that is holding the gray/fresh tanks and put in access panels using data boxes and water tight electrical plates over top. The gray one had enough room to install a double gang; however, on the fresh we only had enough room to insall a single gang.

Makes you wonder why Airstream doesn't put an access panel in at the factory. Airstream has to know that someday, someone is going to have to replace those sensors and they are encased inside the protective covering.

We are going to post some pictures once the job is complete (we are still waiting on the replacement sensors from Catcon), and let know know if we solved the problem, but if you want to know where to find these sensors on your BH let us know.

We are also going to send this information to the factory as a suggestion. We hope Airstream will consider factory installed access panels for future models.

Carolyn
Old 08-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #479
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Don't hold your breath waiting for factory installed access panels......that would be tantamount to admitting that there's a problem.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #480
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
By popular request, I'm finally going to do an article in Airstream Life about the late, lamented, and unique Safari 30 bunkhouse. Any owners (current or past) who would be willing to be interviewed and/or supply photos, please contact me directly via email (not PM) at my email address.

I'm not posting my email here just to avoid spammers, but it's published in every issue of the magazine on page 5, or you can guess it pretty easily ... it's my first name at airstreamlife.com

Thanks!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote