Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #441
1 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
30' Bunkhouse - Modifications to Increase Sleeping Capacity

Hi. We're contemplating one of two modifications and was wondering if anyone had any insight. We want to either:

1. Throw out the captain's chairs---and rip out the table/island between them---to make room for some sort of couch; OR

2. With the 2 single bunks in back, was thinking of ripping out steps/storage, and building frame to make that bottom bed a FULL size.

These configurations were both "options" at the factory of course----but I'm wondering how realistic a change is now.

Thanks!!!
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #442
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm not a remodeler myself, but our 30' Bunk has the sofa option in lieu of the chairs and table. It does make floor space a premium, but we watch a lot of movies and it is comfortable for my wife, our younger son, and me to pile up to watch the TV. Our older son always takes the dinette bench facing the TV. Often we will convert the dinette to bed and the boys will use it as a lounge for TV viewing.

Before you think all we do is watch TV/movies when we go camping, we only do this when it is raining, too hot in the middle of the day, or too many bugs outside for us to sit under the awning at night.

As far as swapping the lower bunk for a double, Rich Luhr has this configuration in his. You might send him a private message or wait 'till he has had a chance to read your post.

If you do both changes, you will have sleeping for up to nine. That's a lot of people in a 30 footer with limited walking space between the dinette and sofa. With our cocker spaniel inside, we are constantly climbing over him...he has to be in the center of everything. However, if you need that much sleeping space it's great that you can have it in an Airstream.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #443
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
When we first got our Bunkhouse, we considered getting the couch installed vs. the table and chairs. Now, a couple years later, we are glad we did not make the switch. I replaced the chairs with some smaller, but more comfortable chairs I picked up at IKEA. As for the rear double on the bottom, I could consider it as advantageous. We have three children, and not making up the dinette would be a bonus. However, I do find that if I cannot be outside for my early morning coffee, I sit at the side table while everyone else sleeps.

Rick
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #444
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
[QUOTE=rluhr;692959]Hi Chuck ... haven't seen you since we met in Jamaica VT five years ago!

Our bunkhouse will be back in New England this summer, so if you want to come up to Vermont or the Vintage Trailer Jam in Saratoga Springs (NY), I'll be happy to show it to you!

Rich (and everyone else)- sorry I've been so bad at responding! Horribly busy, in school full time.

But seriously, Rich - we'd love to check out your trailer! We'd like to go up to Vermont to check it out....next week...? Maybe 9/3 or 9/4. Would that work for you? I am off for a week (last one for the next year) -- and it has cooled off a bit, so it should be a nice opportunity.

Feel free to PM or email.
Thanks!

Chuck, Stacy, Max, Lucien and Colin :-)
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #445
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Bunkhouse mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyL View Post
We want to either:
1. Throw out the captain's chairs---and rip out the table/island between them---to make room for some sort of couch;
We modified ours without actually removing the table/island. See this post for details. Tour of America » New countertop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyL View Post
2. With the 2 single bunks in back, was thinking of ripping out steps/storage, and building frame to make that bottom bed a FULL size.
That seems easy enough. The double bed is just a base frame with a little corner access door for underbed storage. You might have to hunt up a custom sized mattress for it, however. I'm not sure it's a standard "double" width or length, and it has curved corners.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #446
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by funchucky1 View Post
We'd like to go up to Vermont to check it out....next week...? Maybe 9/3 or 9/4.
I emailed you. But the short answer is, we expect to be gone from Vermont by then. Back on the road -- heading west! Just waiting for the replacement hitch parts to arrive.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #447
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Mississippi
Hello everyone. I'm a seasoned camper owner, having owned one trailer and two motherhomes in the past. I want to make the move to Airstream and I'm very interested in the Bunkhouse model that Airstream produced. I've missed out on several oppurtunities to purchase one, but I'm actively looking for one now. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this here, but if anyone has a bunkhouse that they would like to sell, then I'm intesrested.
dbkerrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #448
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums dbkerrjr! It is fine to post your interest. There have been instances where someone knows someone with a Bunkhouse for sale. Good luck with your search.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #449
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Mississippi
Okay guys and gals,

I've had someone contact me about a 30' bunkhouse that they are willing to sell. I'm in the process of trying to value it on the NADA site (to maximize the amount I can borrow) and the owner was kind enough to send me the window sticker which has been a great help. There is one thing that I am not familiar with not being an Airstream owner that I hope someone can help me with. The sticker lists the "SAFARI UPGRADE PACKAGE" for an add-on to the cost of $2,316 (this is a 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse). Does anyone know what was/is included in the Safari Upgrade Package?

Thanks in advance
dbkerrjr
Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #450
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi dbkerrjr:

We have the Safari Upgrade package on our bunkhouse and I'm not positive, but as I remember from our purchase back in 2005 the upgrade included the electric lift for the hitch, an upgraded A/C unit to 15,000 BTU (from 13,000), the power wash hook-up for the black tank (which is an awesome feature) and SE pin striping on the unit. That's all I remember and my list may not be complete. I probably remember those 3 main features because IMHO every one of those added features were worth having as a part of the upgrade. I would give the Airstream factory a call, one of their people should be able to answer your questions so that you don't overlook something else that might have been included in the package. Good Luck!

Carolyn
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #451
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Hi dbkerrjr:

We have the Safari Upgrade package on our bunkhouse and I'm not positive, but as I remember from our purchase back in 2005 the upgrade included the electric lift for the hitch, an upgraded A/C unit to 15,000 BTU (from 13,000), the power wash hook-up for the black tank (which is an awesome feature) and SE pin striping on the unit. That's all I remember and my list may not be complete. I probably remember those 3 main features because IMHO every one of those added features were worth having as a part of the upgrade. I would give the Airstream factory a call, one of their people should be able to answer your questions so that you don't overlook something else that might have been included in the package. Good Luck!

Carolyn
My husband seems to think that the sound system is also upgraded as a part of the Safari Upgrade package. We have 4 speakers in the ceiling, DVD/CD player and a CD changer in our Bunkhouse.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #452
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Safari upgrade package

Our trailer came loaded with every possible option, and I saved the window sticker from it.

The Safari Upgrade Package is also known as the "LS package". It includes the black tank flush, electric hitch jack, LS lettering, 15K BTU air conditioner with heat pump, center Fantastic Vent, and Moen faucet with built-in water filter. I am not sure if the spare tire was part of this package or was standard. The package cost was $2,316.

The audio-video upgrade package (with 4 ceiling speakers, CD/DVD player, 10-disc CD changer, and 15" Sharp LCD TV) was sold separately for $2,955.

If you got the A/V upgrade, you also had the option of external speakers for an additional $229.

Other options included:

Range cover bi-fold: $34
Communication Center (4 walkie-talkies and charger base): $274
Skylight with shade: $175
Rear corner double bed with bunk (replaces lower bunk and drawers): $152

Base price of the 2005 Safari before upgrades was $52,778. With every possible option and destination charge it got as high as $59,515.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #453
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We have the LS package but we didn't get the AV upgrade. We have speakers in the ceiling and AM/FM/CD. I discovered that we also have the external speaker port. I haven't bothered to get a speaker for it yet, though.

We had the dealer install two additional Fantastic Fans (one in each sleeping area), the range cover, and awnings on rear and street side.

Our Bunkhouse is one of the few with the sofa and microwave convection oven. We have the single lower bunk.

I added an 21" LCD TV, I-Pod port, and routed the audio from the satellite receiver/DVD player through the ceiling speakers. Really helps when the A/C cuts on.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #454
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey All,

I have found our original 2004 Safari brouchure. The LS option package included:

1.) Spare tire (STD 19')
2.) Fantastic fan (living room)
3.) No fuss flush black tank rinsing system
4.) Aquajet water pump
5.) Cast taillights
6.) Electric hitch jack
7.) 13,500 BTU A/C with heat pump
8.) Jackets & caps (2 each)
9.) Pure touch filtering faucet & separate sprayer
10.) Screen door guard
11.) LS graphics
12.) 2 Zip Dee chairs (28SO &28 only)

As I remember, the main reason why we opted for the LS package was that LED taillights were included in the package. We thought that was cool in 2004. We did not receive the Jackets & caps (bummer). Our trailer was also special order in that we requested no carpeting anywhere in the trailer. I hope this helps?

Bye

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #455
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
We have the LS package but we didn't get the AV upgrade. We have speakers in the ceiling and AM/FM/CD. I discovered that we also have the external speaker port. I haven't bothered to get a speaker for it yet, though.

We had the dealer install two additional Fantastic Fans (one in each sleeping area), the range cover, and awnings on rear and street side.

Our Bunkhouse is one of the few with the sofa and microwave convection oven. We have the single lower bunk.

I added an 21" LCD TV, I-Pod port, and routed the audio from the satellite receiver/DVD player through the ceiling speakers. Really helps when the A/C cuts on.

We added the same on the Fantasic Fans in our bunkhouse and added after our purchase, at the Airstream factory, the Sofa and Micro/convection oven. We too have the single lower bunk. I'm on the fence about changing out my oven -- there are times I wish I hadn't traded in my propane oven for the micro/convection. Occasionally we don't have electricity when we are camping so that rules out using an oven now. Oh well... live and learn. Not spending the money to change it back! Luckily those times are few and far between.

Oh and Paul, we liked the tail lights too as a part of the Safari Upgrade package :-)
Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #456
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Mississippi
Did you ever do these mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
...and install a new Onan 3400 propane genset where the spare is currently. (It fits nice with less hangdown than the current spare.)
SafariSS, I was reading through the archives and came across this post about your desire to install an Onan 3400 propane genset where the spare is. Did you ever complete this mod?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #457
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Mississippi
Thanks to everyone for posting information on the LS Package and the A/V package. You guys (and gals) are great. What a wonderful source of information. I hope to be the proud owner of an 05' Bunkhouse within the next month.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #458
2 Rivet Member

Omelas , Texas

We finally had the chance to take our "new" 2005 Safari 30 BB for a weekend trip.
Since we got it in the last months of 2009 we spend time doing some repairs and customizations.

Repairs:
-Center vent (fantastic fan) housing cracked (replaced with new fantastic fan)
-Front and back factory vents broken (replaced with AirMax vents)
-Repaired peeling vinyl in the bathroom
-Got the front trunk stress crack issue inspected.
-Sealed an open access hole underneath the kitchen side bench

Customizations:
- Replaced the factory window curtains with silver mini-blinds
- Added an atomic clock and thermometer
- Added a TV digital converter to revive the tv/antenna old analog setup.

I hope that we are (almost) done! and start enjoying more our Safari 30 BB.
photo-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #459
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the club and thanks for posting the links to your blog. It's neat to see what others have done to personalize their coaches.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #460
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
We loved our bunkhouse........bought it from Bill Thomas in June '04; traded it back to him in October '07 for the 25FB......I miss it!
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote