Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #225
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
front compartment damage

good morning all!!!
Has anyone had the service done to fix the stress fractures on the lower corners of the front compartment?
Also, can anyone recommend an airstream place that can do great skin work, or should i take it to ohio?

thanks from the FORT

FORTSTANLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #226
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
This issue was discussed earlier in the thread. It has been repaired at the factory, and if memory serves me, I think some had it repaired at their dealers with some varying success.

We've been very fortunate in that we hadn't had these cracks, but we found what may be the initial stages of them on one corner on our last camping trip. If it looks like there is really a crack there when I retrieve our Airstream from storage, I'll have to contact the factory and have it repaired by a dealer. There are several that can do excellent body work without having to return the trailer to the factory.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #227
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
Thanks Tom-
We read through the thread but couldn't get a real feel for the general consensus. We'll be in Wisconsin for an extended period of time so we may get the work done there.
By the way- did you have to rent a golf cart at Fort Wilderness? I read about the campsite and it sounded like it's necessary. Just wondered what your experience was. Parking there sounds a little tricky, eh?!
Krista
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #228
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
I'd like to hear from others that have had their front door repaired.... mine, has small cracks each side of the door and a few popped rivets on the bottom.....There appears to be multiple options on how to "fix" the problem. the one option that that I'm still not certain is a good "fix" is replacing the original door with a bigger door one, isn't that just a bigger band-aid? ... why does this happen on 34's with a front door also? is it a shhhh..a structure problem?
anyhow....don't want to start a design and repair debate...

pm me with contact info for my best source of help at jackson center please...
still have 40 days left of warranty!

thanks.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #229
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fort Worth , Arkansas
When I bought our Bunkhouse last summer "new" from a Texas dealer, I went somewhat prepared. Many thanks to all those who posted on this thread. Your experiences really helped us know what to look for.

We saw early signs of stress in the corner and asked David at Roger Williams Airstream for possible recommendations to do something. As we walked the lot, I noticed some newer models had a similar compartment doors in front going from rib to rib. David was able to cut the opening wider. Then replace the existing door with a longer stock compartment door. So far so good.

I hope this helps others with possible fixes...

2017 25' Safari FB
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #230
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Hello all! We just brought home our bunkhouse last week! We are looking forward to years of good times! We hope to be full timing this time next year! I'm sure I will be coming for advice on several occasions but for right now, what size sheets fit on the beds?
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #231
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Good to see you are still around Brent. Haven't seen you on the forums for quite a while. How's that new baby, must be walking by now? How old now, approaching two?

Welcome to the Forums SweetStream. The 30' Bunk is a good plan for full timing, especially if you have children. My wife bought stock sheets and cut them down to fit the curves in the bunk beds and we had a custom inner spring mattress made for the master cabin and my wife altered stock queen size sheets to fit there also. It also helps to get a set of those elastic straps with the "gator clips" on the ends that keep the corners tight.

Krista, we live about 6-1/2 hours without towing the Airstream and about 7-1/2 hours with the Airstream from Disney World so we drive down several times a year. Ft. Wilderness is quite large and a golf cart really makes it convenient to get around. It isn't necessary, but it sure helps. Disney rents golf carts for just under $50/day or $250/week. We decided after our first stay at Ft. Wilderness that we would just buy one. We live just 10 minutes from Peachtree City, GA where all of the neighborhoods are connected by golf cart paths (90+ miles of paths) so there are several dealers in the area. We found a good deal on a 2003 and added a Sunbrella rain enclosure and matching seat covers, a new wood grained dash and matching steering wheel (customized with a Mickey Mouse), and chrome wheels. We also have a chrome Mickey icon "hood ornament". It has been so worth it on our six trips to Ft. Wilderness since we bought our golf cart and it has saved us at least $2,200 dollars in cart rentals so far! That is less than our total investment, but I know we have many more trips (including one in two weeks) that will continue to offset the cost.

It's good to see our little fraternity growing. One of these days we need to organize a 30' Bunk rally somewhere that will be convenient to all and meet each other. Maybe with some advanced planning I could even make it out west.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #232
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
30' Bunk rally! Great idea!! Lets see...plot out locations of all contributors to this thread....connect the dots..... find the center....looks like ... the beautiful Ozark Mountains!! I suggest the spring or fall, the summers are awfully humid here
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #233
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
Welcome Sweet Stream! I agree, I think a 30" Bunk rally sounds great.
We need all the help we can get, it would be great to get pointers from all the pros We'll be going from coast to coast all summer, so somebody just say when and where!

Tom, 90 miles of golf cart paths sure sounds nice especially in that fancy cart
I think we'll do the Fort, it sounds like a lot of fun.
We'll be in Atlanta for a week, so if there's any must see or do things in GA let us know!
Thanks again.
Krista
Old 03-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #234
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Funny you should mention getting the Safari 30's together. We'll be at Ft Wilderness in the first week of May if we can keep to our schedule.

SweetStream, I think we use stock sheets in ours (full size in the back bedroom, but the depends on your floorplan options), and queen in the front. Ours probably are loose fitting compared to Minnie's Mate's cool custom sheets.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #235
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
Hey, we'll be at Ft. Wilderness the first week of May as well.
Hope to see you there!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #236
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Fort Wilderness

We will be at Fort Wilderness from 6-12 April and hopefully, in a pet loop. I've seen the two posts about May, but anyone else going in April?
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #237
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
It's good to see our little fraternity growing. One of these days we need to organize a 30' Bunk rally somewhere that will be convenient to all and meet each other. Maybe with some advanced planning I could even make it out west.

How far west do you want to tow?...

That would be a lot of fun to do a 30BH rally.

I'm looking at a trip to Durango, CO late this summer... or Austin, TX haven't decided...both good destinations for a rally...The Grand Canyon.. however is a very worthy cross country destination for any traveler. I'm planning on doing the 'big hike' again this fall...and need to organize a little group..any hikers interested? you don't have to do the whole thing...

Tom,
rumor has it...
that you make crazy good fried chicken....that sure would taste good after hiking the Canyon..
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 AM   #238
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Wow...maybe we should rename Ft. Wilderness Airstream Central.

We are going to be there at the Fort from 4/5-4/9. We'll be on the look out for Sara and Roy! We aren't taking Sulley this trip since it is being cut short by work. But we are taking the kids and my mom, too.

Too bad all you folks from out west aren't going to be there early April instead of the first week of May.

Brent, I'm not sure about the crazy fried chicken, but I'm wicked with a cast iron skillet and always up for a challenge. Unfortunately, or fortunately, this summer looks hopeful that we will be moving so our trips are going to have to be kept to the east coast. Maybe in '09 we will head out west. One of the must do trips for us is the Grand Canyon, Zion, and other points of interest out west. Definitely going to look you up when we do.

WBCCI# 4821