Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Worlds longest yard sale.

I'm sure some of us have heard about the longest yard sale. We are thinking about going and taking the trailer. Has anybody here done it and if so did you camp. I looked at the map last night and we would not do the whole route maybe just the Al, Tn, and maybe a small part of Kentucky. My thought's on this was to take the trailer to a campground in between and drive the route each day trailerless seems like the traffic may get a little rough for a 31 ft. Would love to have as much info as I can get. And also some good campgrounds in the area.

Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
I am among the uninitiated... what is the World's Longest Yard Sale????

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (camping in S Tardis)

Old 06-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
It's 3 states long. Starts on the tip end of Ohio and goes down to Gasden Al. It goes along a rural route and 550 miles of yard sales. It started years ago to get people off of the main hwys and see some of the country. Do a search largest yard sale and there are many web sites out there. I heard about it last year on HGTV and it looks like a whole LOT of funnnnnn. That is if you like that kind of stuff. It starts Aug 3rd and runs thru Aug 6
Air# 9552
Old 06-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

We have six visitor sites at Airstream only park South of Crossville, Tn. This is 5 miles off HWY 127 which is part of yard sale. Here is Web site.

http://www.airstreamtcpc.org/id4.html
Old 06-25-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I probably shouldn't ever go to that.
Would come home so loaded with plunder my tires would pop.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
No Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog
I probably shouldn't ever go to that.
Would come home so loaded with plunder my tires would pop.
You would NOT come home loaded with plunder... unless you want crafts made in China or a zillion tube socks. We did that trip several years ago and were VERY disappointed. See my next post.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Ouch, wanted to do that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
You would NOT come home loaded with plunder... unless you want crafts made in China or a zillion tube socks. We did that trip several years ago and were VERY disappointed. See my next post.
I hope this is not true. Wife and I have wanted to do this for years - Beck, camping along the way sounds fun. Oh well will have to do more research into this.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Yard Sale Trip

We first heard about this "longest yard sale" trip on the "Wild Chicago" tv show. We have an antique shop, a physical storefront, and try to keep up on these things.

We saw the article 3 days before the start, and decided to go. So we dropped everything, and did.

We took our furniture trailer (only 10 foot) from the shop and BOY were we sorry. The entire route is hilly and narrow, which is the point of the thing.. they're trying to get traffic away from the interstate. It would be FINE to park your trailer and drive the route, but there is NO PLACE to park or pull off.

We also noted that many of the dealers remain set up year round, and sell new flea market socks, tools, junk. There were no treasures at all to be found for us,.,.... although I did get to see a real donkey. (I'm a City Girl)

I love "stuff" and didn't find a single thing.. not even a treasure for myself!

All in all, it was quite stressful ( I call it the short vacation to hell) and a BIG waste of gas and time!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
forgot to mention..

If you want to do this trip, do so with an open mind and no epecations.. it wold be fun just to travel. You'll see tobacco barns and maybe a donkey!

But IF you think you might want to stay in a motel, forget it.. there weren't any! We had to drive 40 miles out of the way. Make reservations FIRST.

I was also NOT THRILLED with the "Deliverance types" roaming the roads.. all small towns roll up the sidewalk at six or so.

I'm really not a horribly negative person; I enjoy flea markets and things.. after all, it's our real business.. but THAT trip was not good.

We travelled (from Chicago) begininng in Cincinnati all the way through Kentucky to mid-Tennessee to the highway that goes across the center of Tennessee.. we forget the highway number :-(
Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
That was one thing I was worried about (tube socks and things) I to am in the Antique (junk) business. All our flea markets around here have turned into the same kind of china stuff and when you do find a good piece of junk the price is just to high.
Air# 9552
Old 06-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
Don't Rain on the yard sale

1. Don't rain on the yard sale.
2. It is hilly. (It is held in Kentucky, Tennessee and North Alabama off of the Interstates. Hummmmm!! You might expect a few hills in the region. You see, that is what Tourism is so big in the region. People like the hills!)
3. About the sale. You see-it is a YARD Sale! People are selling stuff they don't want any more or stuff that you go to a Yard Sale to get. Like cheap socks.
4. About the "Deliverance Types". Be careful. Those same deliverance types are the same folks that can't and may never be able to afford to buy an Airstream and travel to another region with visions of profit and pleasure, but they will always stop when you are pulled over on the side of the road with a smoking hulk of aluminum from a blown tire. They always stop and ask you if you need any help. They always politely give you directions when you are lost. You don't have to worry about them stealing the propane tanks of your trailer when you park for the night. If you took the time to meet some of the "Deliverance Types" they probably will invite you to visit their church if you are in the area over a Sunday. If they honestly thought you were hungry they would invite you into their home to share their meal.
5. Yes the sidewalks roll up at 6 in the evening. People go home to have dinner and spend time with their families and things like that. People know where their kids are after dark and funny stuff like that.

6. That was a really nice plug you worked in for your business with listing the web site in the post. Very smooth. Why would anyone want to leave Midwest to shop in the South when you bring the interesting treasure straight to them without all of the hassle of travel.
7. The Hotels. The south is somewhat rural. We do not have hotels of every corner. Sorry.
8. I am offended by your comments. I think Deliverance was the best movie ever made. It created false images of the south that have served so very well to dissuade visitor with attitudes like you have from enjoying what many people cherish-The rural South.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Well,
I went to Memphis once. And Since I was there anyway figured I might have a glimpse of the original Elvis house. Gracelessland?
Was rather disapointed. It was so tacky. A lot of stuff like tube socks. But they at least had pictures of Elvis on them. And they were still American made. Are they all from China now? Breaks my heart.
But then again, we all have our notions of what is collectable or valuable or marketable.
Some of us recognize the value of washboards or vases or apiary equipment or authentic A. Lincoln autographs or Elvis paintings on velvet.
I don't know the market of any of those things.
I do know about tractor parts though. And from other sources believe that prices in that part of the counry are a tire popping 25 - 60% less
than most other regions of the nation. A reasonable profit margin I would submit.
Maybe you were looking for the wrong kind of plunder.
Did you see any socks with the picture of Elvis driving the Ford tractor?
Got a hankering for some of them.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
Hmmmm...doesn't sound like my idea of a yard sale either. My idea of a yard sale is a sale of used household items, especially antique furniture and trinkets -- not brand new stuff. It is thrilling to go on the hunt for antiques at a yard sale but no fun if all you see are rows and rows of new stuff. On the East coast, we have the Brimfield Fair which has its share of new stuff but there is still alot of antiques to be found. Also, it helps to know what you need so you are prepared when the situation arises. For example, last year at a local yard sale, I found a $650 hitch set-up for $75 along with a brand new blue boy for $20. THAT kinda of "new" I like!

I use eBay now mostly to fill out my collections, to start new ones, and to unload collections! If you are selling, I have found it is more profitable to sell thru eBay than thru a yard sale because you reach more people thru eBay and get a decent price for your collectibles.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
just remember; one person's junk is anothers treasure and go with an open mind. Many from around here have gone and enjoyed the largest sale. You can also find spots to go antiquing on the way if so inclined.
Also if you come thru Atlanta on the second weekend of any month we have two huge ( I mean really huge) antique markets not far from each other on the south side of Atl. Look for info on the Scott Market" and Lakewood Antique Mkt. Both have over 1000 vendors, and little or no tube socks.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote