Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My wife and I have put this on our to do list for a future trip. One year my son and I took the Bourbon Trail through Western Kentucky and could not have had a better time. Yes, the roads were tight but the people and scenery were well worth the driving.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
i have actually set up to sell at this site one year and have gone to it for several years. unfortunately, like everything else, it has gone severely downhill. it was great when it started because so much great stuff was for sale, but as people ran out of stuff to sell, the socks and junk came out. i was set up in crossville and my site was miserable. i spent a good portion of my sales money on bee killer since my rented spot was over underground hornet condos! it is fun to just wander along and leisurely check things out, but experience has taught me that if the good stuff isn't already gone, you can plan on paying antique store prices for most of it. my advice would be, go see it with an open mind, don't plan on getting any steals (although, some are still out there), enjoy the local foods, the friendly locals and see the beautiful area. with that in mind, you won't be disappointed.
airstreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You gotta kiss a lot of frogs...

...before you find a handsome prince.

I used to go to yard sales two dozen times a year. There's always a lot of junk, but sometimes there is a buried treasure. I'm sure this is just a bigger vesion of the church yard sale.

Have fun, or have an alternate plan if it doesn't work out.

It's all good. A bad day in an Airstream is better than a good day at work.

Paula
Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #24
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We Attended and Loved It!

This yard sale is not for everyone but we certainly had a good time when we attended the August event in 2006. I think there are other versions, shorter perhaps, during other parts of the year. We stayed in DeSoto state park in Alabama. We went with no expectations and we definitely had a plan B if the yard sale bombed-out for us.

Well.... we had such a good time we went to the yard sale 4 days straight! Yes, there is quite a bit of traffic, the roads are tight and not everything suited our tastes. We learned to stop at places that looked appealing to us and avoid the places that did not suit us. We ate lots of good food, met plenty of interesting people, bought a few things and generally had a good time. This event is what you make of it.

We are considering another trip and will consider the Crossville, TN park if we have a chance to go this year.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Peaches to Beaches

If shopping a bit further south is within your range and if you can tolerate some of the customs; there is a brand new road trip yard sale.

You missed ’07 but there is plenty of time to plan for ‘08’s event.

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/963/public/news702864.html

http://www.goldenislesparkway.com/

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
We went on the 'longest garage sale' 2 years ago. Left the west coast and travelled east thru the hottest summer in a long while. Temps getting there in east Colorado were 103's and 104's. Burned up the rear end in the Tahoe and we had to trade for an Avalanche. We started at the south end of the sale and found that the best 'saleing' was around Chattanouga and north. Several places where there were more than an acre of sales. Elsewhere had to drive miles between sales. It was so hot and muggy that we limited our out of car adventures and then kept the ac on high. Wasn't too difficult to deal with trailer. We kept it with us and stayed in campgrounds along the way. No problem.
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #27
Mr. Peeps, Pull-It Master

2007 25' International CCD
Pleasanton , California
This Longest Yard Sale is something I've always wanted to do. I appreciate all the good information, and learning about the "Peaches to Beaches" Yard Sale. That'll definitely go on my list.

My husband and I often go to Dayton Ohio for the Annual Ham Convention (Radios not piggly meat). While he's with his Ham buddies, I go to an enormous Flea Market in Springfield Ohio at the Fairgrounds. Its one of the best flea markets I've ever been to. They have a lot of wonderful Ohio pottery, country collectibles and everything else you may possibly collect. Prices are good too. It's definitely worth your trip if you're near Ohio in May. I think they have it other times of the year too. You can google to find the dates.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Longest Yardsale

My husband and I went to this yardsale last year and are already making plans to go again this year. There is a little bit of Everything! You would definately have to park the camper and drive because you will be stopping every 10 minutes. There is sooooo much to see it is unreal. We started right of I-40 in Crossville. We traveled all day. Couldnt find a hotel anywhere because people book them a year in advance. We had to drive 50 miles across a mountain in kentucky to get a room. It was worth it to me. We got to meet some great people. We also picked up a lot of Antiques and what knots. Didnt have the camper then, maybe would have been easier. If you plan on going, I would book a site now if you can. Of course you will find those that think their stuff is worth gold, but there are a lot of just ordinary farm people just there to make a few bucks and have a good time. If you make it up to kentucky, try to eat at the amish diner, cant remember the name, but you cant miss it, very good food! We went from sun up to sun down for 2 days and still didnt see half of it. If you like yardsales, you will love it! I say go for it, and who knows, we may run in to each other! Im going to try and get a spot at Cumberland State park. It is very nice and right off 127. Hope to see some of you there!
Tammy
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #29
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Okay... We're Going Again This Year

We are planning to attend the yardsale this year. I requested time off work and it looks like things are shaping up for us.

I contacted the TCPC Airstream campground near Crossville, TN (Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground) and they indicated they have room for us. We'll be staying at TCPC for the first time - sounds cool - all Airstream (mostly aluminum) and owned/operated by the folks who have RV's at the campground. From TCPC we'll make day trips to see the yardsale and surrounding area.

TCPC looks like it is very close to the 127 corrider so I think we'll have good access to the trash n treasures. May be a little hot in early August but Crossville will likely be cooler than Georgia so I'm looking forward to it.

We plan to arrive at TCPC on Thursday August 2 and depart on Sunday August 5. Drop us a PM if you are planning to stay at TCPC.

Lucius
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #30
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Yardsale Mania - See You There!

We are staying at TCPC as described above. If you are interested, contact the campground host at

RESERVATIONS: haje141@aol.com 931-788-2211

Another forum member is meeting us at TCPC - anyone is welcome at TCPC as long as you have an Airstream. You do not have to be a member of WBCCI. We plan to see some of the yardsale as well as sit back and relax. TCPC has a limited number of sites for vistors. Rates are $15 per night.

Lucius
Old 07-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly
. . . Another forum member is meeting us at TCPC - anyone is welcome at TCPC as long as you have an Airstream. You do not have to be a member of WBCCI. We plan to see some of the yardsale as well as sit back and relax. TCPC has a limited number of sites for vistors. Rates are $15 per night.

Lucius
That forum member would be me. I'm looking forward to camping more than the yard sale, but we will take in at least one day of it. True, much has been taken over by vendor types over the years, but you never know when you'll find a goodie. The It's great entertainment.

Anyone wanting to join us at TCPC, give them a call. Last week they had at least visitor 3 sites left.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
... but you never know when you'll find a goodie. ...
I found my 12" radial arm saw on the trip. My wife and I went on the yard sale trip for three or four years.

FWIW, we discussed taking the Overlander the last time we went, and decided motels were easier.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

I will definately be up there next weekend for the sale. The Airstream park is less than five miles off US127 and ideally situated to work north into Crossville one day and south into Pikeville another day.

Give them a call and come on up - if the visitor's lots are full they will park you on a member's lot if that member isn't there for the weekend. There's a nice clubhouse up there with showers, a video library, free wi-fi access and plenty to do even if you don't leave the campground.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
We'll be looking for you HP9K. We made a brief visit to TCPC after Middle Tennessee Airstream back in May. The folks up there were very nice and the campground was lovely.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I will be up there also, probably not with the camper though. I will take a tour of the campground as I have been wanting to make this trip all year! I cant believe I didnt remember the dates and my husband took last week off to go to the Smokies. I would much rather have went to the yardsale! Hope to see some of you at the campground.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Great Tammy, it will be good to see you and John again even if only for a day.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
We made it up to TCPC without takiing out any yard salers on the way. This WBCCI campground is lovely, cooler than the Chattanooga by about 10 degrees, and the folks here are very friendly. I even got a big hug from the campground hostess when we checked in. There are WiFi nodes everywhere, so internet access is a breeze.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Keep us all updated on the bargins you find, sure wish I was there.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Wow my timing is perfect!
(I'll be in the area the following weekend )
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Keep us all updated on the bargins you find, sure wish I was there.
We did yard sales part of yesterday but didn't buy much. A heavy duty tabletop applepeeler, a couple dozen skeins of yarn, a fountain pen turned from birdseye maple, an antique mustache cup, a framed print, an old planter, a tiny decorative tin, and a really cool circa 1940s sturdy metal folding yard chair with curved styling and armrests. All this fun for $35 and change ~ and $20 of that was invested in the fountain pen.

We didn't go to any of the vendor booths, only a few everday folks just trying to clean out their garage. Way to much for us to deal with otherwise. Never found that deal on a Hensley Arrow hitch though . . .

Today we are just relaxing at the campground and doing nothing in particular. A nice change for me.