Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Western Rally (well, not really a rally)

Letís call this a proverbial test balloon-

I canít call this a rally, because I have never been to one and thus donít know what all it entails. That, and I am not a very good planner. So I am not really volunteering to put together food, entertainment, prizes, games, etc. However, what I am proposing is the opportunity for an organized gathering of TAC members who might like to camp together. Fellow Airforums member MJMarkhams and I have started the discussion of meeting in Yellowstone Park next summer. Is anyone else interested in joining us?

I have contacted Xanterra reservations (PC in charge of campground reservations in the park) and they said that they could accommodate us to the best of their ability. Meaning, they would do their best to get us close to each other in the campground.

The specific venue would be Madison campground, my favorite due to location. This would be a boondocking adventure, as there are no hookups. However, there is a dump station (with fresh water) on site, generators are permitted, and there very clean, flush toilet bathrooms (with AC for personal grooming devices), and dishwashing stations. Put frankly, it is about as comfortable as can be expected boondocking. Rates are very reasonable at @ $21/night. Food/gas/lodging/supplies, etc are within 14 miles.

At this point, about all I am offering is to organize us getting together. I canít promise much more than that, other than to offer to be fishing guide. If you have never been, Yellowstone Park is one of the most awe-inspiring places in our great country. It also just happens that it is one of the most RV friendly of the National Parks.

I donít even have a rough date yet. Currently, I am leaning toward doing it around the 4th of July. However, I havenít even run that date by my partner-in-crime, let alone the boss (DW). Reservations canít even be made until next May, so there is plenty of time to give this some thought.

So the first question is- Does this interest anyone?

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Keep me posted on this and I will put it in the TAC magazine...

Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
yellerstone

I am already on a caravan for june-july-but would like an august or september date-count me in! ol bill
Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
We would love to do this. Please keep us posted as to when this may happen. Looking forward to more information as it becomes available.

Kathy and Hank
Old 09-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Hmmmm... sounds like fun. I say let's do it.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I'm interested. July 4th sounds fine.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Western Rally (well, not really a rally)

Dumpster: We are very much interested. Next July we have a trip planned with our son and his family to where else; Yellowstone N.P. They are non-Airstreamers and wouldn't want to attend an AS rally anyway. However, misses and I would gladly make the trip a second time to do a TAC Rally. Go ahead and make your plans and we will adjust accordingly.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
I have lots to do before next July it would seem. I will most certainly put a little more emphasis on making sure that the tailer is "boondock" ready. I wave lots of questions about "necessities" and just "nice-to-have" items. I am as green as they come when it comes to RV camping...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
We are intrested. However the second Birthday Bash is in Early July.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
I think we would be interested in this little adventure, I'm sure the flyfishing is great.
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
We will need to make our reservations soon. The park will be quite full during that time of the year.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
It's Just a Baby

Thanks for all of the interest. I think this is neat. Please keep in mind that this is all in its infancy. It will likely mature significantly as things move along. At this stage, I was more judging interest, which appears high!

To address a couple of things-

The date is far from rock solid. Like I already mentioned before, the 4th of July doesn't even have my wife's blessing yet. And I certainly wouldn't want to detract from the WBBB II in any way, shape or form. Maybe this could be looked at as an alternative to those in the West who can't make that long journey. Besides, the WBBB is a bonafide rally. What we are really talking about here is a glorified 'get together'; at least for now.

I go to the park several times a year, and have a pretty solid handle on the reservation thing. They do not accept any reservations until next May. I will stay on top of that, no worries.

I will keep you all posted.

Best,
Chris

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Boone , Iowa
I try to get out to the park every year if possible. Have been thinking about a late September trip anyway in 2011. Would like to try the flyfishing at that time of year. Will be watching the thread to see what might develop.

Dave

TAC IA-5
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
it's looking like we just may have a complete trailer by next summer for a trip to Yellowstone. We were looking online and they are already taking reservations for next year. I am thinking that Mid-Late August would be a good time. What do you think Dumpster?