Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Vintage Trailer Jam 08

I haven't seen anyone post about this rally yet.

Vintage Trailer Jam 08
July 11-14, 2008
Saratoga Spa State Park, Saratoga Springs NY

Airstream Life » Vintage Trailer Jam 2008

Sponsored by Airstream Life, Vintage Trailer Supply and GSM

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
jamming

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I haven't seen anyone post about this rally yet.

Vintage Trailer Jam 08
July 11-14, 2008
Saratoga Spa State Park, Saratoga Springs NY

Airstream Life » Vintage Trailer Jam 2008

Sponsored by Airstream Life, Vintage Trailer Supply and GSM
Interesting, isn't it? the low key introduction, that is......

I am curious about the way it is being advertised. One ad in A/L and one i think on the VAP webpage?

The ad/notice is short on details. I forwarded it to one of my frugle friends and he mentioned that it sounded expensive. I do not mind the cost but want to be able to opt out of the food part of the fee. I have decided it is not worth buying food I will not eat anyway. If the powers that be are reading let me know. there should be some flexiblity with a first time event and I plan to opt out of any new pre fixed food arrangements at future rallies. Life is too short for burnt bbq. ick.

Otherwise sounds like a great location for many reasons. I would like to hear a few more details about the event. I may buy a morning telegraph and place a bet on the ponies too!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Registration Details

Registration fee of $165 is for one travel trailer or motorhome plus 1 person. Add $30 for each additional person over age 6.

Registration fee includes seminars, workshops and Saturday night BBQ, plus camping the nights of Friday, July 11th through Sunday, July 13th, with check out on Monday morning.

If you'd like to arrive early to explore the many sights around Saratoga Springs, you may arrive on Thursday, July 10th and camp on site for an additional $20 fee per trailer.

On-site camping includes:
  • 3 amp electric (for recharging only; no AC appliances, please)
  • water for filling tanks
  • two pump-outs (Friday and Sunday)*
  • trash drop-off
*Please plan ahead for limited pump-outs and consider your holding tank capacities. Two portable toilets will be available on site. Showers will be available for a small fee at a swimming pool within walking distance.

Walk-in registration is available for $45 per person. Walk-in registration is for any attendee who is not camping on site but who wants to attend workshops and Saturday's BBQ dinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VTJ-08-2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	55582  

photography
Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Interesting, isn't it? the low key introduction, that is......

I am curious about the way it is being advertised. One ad in A/L and one i think on the VAP webpage?

The ad/notice is short on details. I forwarded it to one of my frugle friends and he mentioned that it sounded expensive. I do not mind the cost but want to be able to opt out of the food part of the fee. I have decided it is not worth buying food I will not eat anyway. If the powers that be are reading let me know. there should be some flexiblity with a first time event and I plan to opt out of any new pre fixed food arrangements at future rallies. Life is too short for burnt bbq. ick.

Otherwise sounds like a great location for many reasons. I would like to hear a few more details about the event. I may buy a morning telegraph and place a bet on the ponies too!
Rich L. LOVES barbecue.

You are right I thought it was really low key also in announcement. I saw one post over at Tin Can Tourists announcing it.

I'd like to know more about the area, not only the immediate Saratoga Springs area but the must sees when out that way too.

photography
Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Would really like to go to this, but the cost of the rally plus fuel just isn't in the cards unfortunately. Wish we could get a more centralized locale for some of us in the Midwest.

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Registration DetailsRegistration fee of $165 is for one travel trailer or motorhome plus 1 person. Add $30 for each additional person over age 6.

Registration fee includes seminars, workshops and Saturday night BBQ, plus camping the nights of Friday, July 11th through Sunday, July 13th, with check out on Monday morning.

If you'd like to arrive early to explore the many sights around Saratoga Springs, you may arrive on Thursday, July 10th and camp on site for an additional $20 fee per trailer.

On-site camping includes:
  • 3 amp electric (for recharging only; no AC appliances, please)
  • water for filling tanks
  • two pump-outs (Friday and Sunday)*
  • trash drop-off
*Please plan ahead for limited pump-outs and consider your holding tank capacities. Two portable toilets will be available on site. Showers will be available for a small fee at a swimming pool within walking distance.

Walk-in registration is available for $45 per person. Walk-in registration is for any attendee who is not camping on site but who wants to attend workshops and Saturday's BBQ dinner

Thanks wheelinterested for the information.

This is interesting to read over again and try to get why it cost $20. for an early Thursday night camping fee and then the next three nights average out at $60.00 per day/night.
But if you do not camp on site you can get everything plus burnt chicken for $45.00 for three days?

why does this bug me so much?

How about alla carte pricing for camping, seminars, dump services, and general kitty fee for putting the event together?

It is always the little things that add up with how much everything cost these days, and sometimes the big things.

Add the cost of travel for only three days and it does make me think, do I really need to buy another bbq I won't eat?

Help me understand vintage lifestyle purveyors? Is there a way for the most enthusiastic of us to share the joys of Jammitity 08 without added cost and wasted food? I would rather put the extra $30. or so in the gas tank.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
_

. , .
'62

i like your analytic approach to these events.

given THIS ONE is a first time thing, i'm less bothered by the packaged price issue or total fee.

but i'm pretty sure the ORGANIZERS don't wanna come out in the red on costs....

honey bucket service, park rental space, security, insurance, food, foot lights and party favors all cost.

IF after attending the view is "too much money for the show" we will all read about it, i'm sure.

the provided food concept seems useful at some of these vintage SHOW gigs,

where so much time is spent prep-ing the rig for open house and tours, leaving little for cooking and galley clean up.

there are apparently regular campgrounds and rv parks nearby and that might be the best approach for some.

otoh, going to that very first dead concert or woodstock or the alpha tupperware party...

was priceless!

so as carol has asked WHAT ELSE is there to do/see in this area of new york?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Jam????????????????

I don't get it. Why call it a jam when it isn't a jam? Jammming is a musical
term referring to a bunch of people, who might not know each other, playing music, that they might not have played before.
Having a jam with no music is kinda like having a dinner with no food. I don't get it!!!
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
What if they are calling it Jam because the people are being Jammed into the park area, or that it will be a sweet and sticky mess in July.

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Jamakinmecrazyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
I don't get it. Why call it a jam when it isn't a jam? Jammming is a musical
term referring to a bunch of people, who might not know each other, playing music, that they might not have played before.
Having a jam with no music is kinda like having a dinner with no food. I don't get it!!!
I think they are hoping a certain rasta man dread lock wbcci dude shows up.

I can go for the no dinner thing - been there, done that.

Great place to have a rally.....hate the logo.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Hi all,
I'm one of the organizers of the Vintage Trailer Jam 2008. Let me try to answer some of the questions that have been asked here.

The fee for the event includes all the stuff quoted above (camping, pumpouts, a catered meal) plus a lot more. Everyone who signs up gets $100 off future work at GSM Vehicles, a free year of Airstream Life magazine, a free year's membership to the Saratoga Auto Museum (which includes unlimited admission), and if you sign up before May 31st, $100 worth of coupons at Vintage Trailer Supply. For a $165 investment, that's a nice deal!

The reason we call it a "jam" is because we wanted to be clear that it's not a rally. It's a private event, not sponsored by Airstream or the WBCCI, and not a forum rally. It's not for profit, but as 2air rightly pointed out, we sure don't want to lose money on it either!

The focus is going to be on learning about vintage trailers and vintage motorhomes. So there will be seminars about trailer & RV history, hands-on repair/restoration workshops, and lifestyle presentations. I'll present at least one or two myself. Colin Hyde of GSM Vehicles will also give some seminars, and a lot of free on-site advice, and if you've ever met Colin in person or heard him on The VAP you know he's a wealth of information.

Steve Hingtgen of Vintage Trailer Supply is another co-sponsor, and he'll also be presenting a seminar or two. Brett Greiveldinger will also present, and I think he'll be doing something on motorhomes. We're still working out the schedule and will have it online ASAP. In my opinion, the workshops & seminars are a huge part of the value of this event, and really the primary reason why we are putting it together.

By the way, I heard today that there will be an exhibit of GTOs at the Auto Museum while we are there. The Saratoga Automobile Museum is in itself a great place to visit, and as I mentioned, the admission is free to people attending the Jam.

Since the seminars I mentioned are being presented without any compensation to the speakers, we can keep the walk-in fee rather cheap. But to camp on the grounds of the Saratoga Automobile Museum is technically very tricky. There are no facilities for camping on site, so we have to bring in water, electric, pump-out trucks, food, trash cans -- everything.

If the $160 fee is too much, you can always camp off-site and walk in for $45. That covers the seminars, the dinner, and the entertainment (sword swallowing, anyone?). A full-hookup campground would probably cost about $90 so you'd save $25 and be able to run your air conditioning. I encourage people to do this if it works better for them.

Carol asked what else there is to do in the area. Saratoga Springs is in a great area with lots of things to see and do. See this link for details.

Mandolindave asked about jamming. We'd love to have some music! Bring your instruments. I'll have my ukuleles there. (I hope I don't dissuade anyone from coming with that statement!)

Soldiermedic joked about being "jammed in there". Seriously, there's acres of space on the grass for us to park, but since we have to bring in the utilities, we have decided to limit the total number of trailers to 100. Only 20 non-vintage units will be accepted, and those spaces are first-come, first-served. After we hit the limit, you can still show up but only as a walk-in.

It should be a lot of fun for the people who come. If the event is a success, we might even do it again next year ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E32.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	55586  

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I received a few tips for places to check out...
"take a trip to Pittsburg NH. Lake Francis State Park. Also, check out Little Diamond Pond at Coleman State Park. You'll get to see moose & loons at both places. So remote, and so beautiful."
Anyone been to there or have some other favorite stops that-a-way?

photography
Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rich,

I understand having the location near GSM and VTS respectively, but any plans to move it to a location further west next year (Say Illinois, MO, KS)?

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Soldiermedic: Honestly at this point we have no plans at all for 2009. We're taking it one day at a time right now. The logistics of doing this once have been daunting enough -- we'd need a lot of help from local people to pull it off further from home. But looking forward, I would say that anything is possible.

wheel interested: I know where you got those recommendations! Our mutual friend loves those spots. Keep in mind that the places he mentioned are probably a 6-8 hour drive away. As they say in Vermont, "you can't get there from here," and that's definitely true of getting from Saratoga to northern NH. But considering how far you would be coming, what's a few more hours?

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
NY Tourism Trail

Here are a few to think about:

Northeast Classic Car Museum | Norwich, NY

and

Howe Caverns: Year Round Adventure

and

Howe Caverns: Year Round Adventure

There is always Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame, the Farmer's Museum there and the Fennimore Museum I believe. Then there is the Erie Canal from Albany to Buffalo. From Saratoga, go north into the Adirondacks (Lake Placid is a nice place to go), and then there is a short jaunt over to Hemmings Motors in Bennington, Vermont. There is the Corning Museum of Glass our in Corning, NY too. Lake George is up the road and at the north end of the lake there is Fort Ticonderoga.

We'll be there with the 58 SOTR and hopefully our Buick.

It'll be a good time - we hope!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Saratoga is on the eastern edge of the Adirondack Park. If you are coming from the west, go north at Utica and wind your way through the Adirondacks to Saratoga. There are plenty of state campgrounds that you can stay at (book early), and if you bring your fishing pole you can catch your dinner at any one of hundeds of lakes, stream, and ponds. The west branch of the Ausable River near Lake Placid is one of the best trout streams in the nation.

If you've been looking for an excuse to experience the Adirondacks, the Jam may be it.

I may be able to have courtesy parking at our place in Long Lake for one or two trailers, as well. PM me if you're interested.
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Hi all,
I'm one of the organizers of the Vintage Trailer Jam 2008. Let me try to answer some of the questions that have been asked here.

The fee for the event includes all the stuff quoted above (camping, pumpouts, a catered meal) plus a lot more. Everyone who signs up gets $100 off future work at GSM Vehicles, a free year of Airstream Life magazine, a free year's membership to the Saratoga Auto Museum (which includes unlimited admission), and if you sign up before May 31st, $100 worth of coupons at Vintage Trailer Supply. For a $165 investment, that's a nice deal!

The reason we call it a "jam" is because we wanted to be clear that it's not a rally. It's a private event, not sponsored by Airstream or the WBCCI, and not a forum rally. It's not for profit, but as 2air rightly pointed out, we sure don't want to lose money on it either!

The focus is going to be on learning about vintage trailers and vintage motorhomes. So there will be seminars about trailer & RV history, hands-on repair/restoration workshops, and lifestyle presentations. I'll present at least one or two myself. Colin Hyde of GSM Vehicles will also give some seminars, and a lot of free on-site advice, and if you've ever met Colin in person or heard him on The VAP you know he's a wealth of information.

Steve Hingtgen of Vintage Trailer Supply is another co-sponsor, and he'll also be presenting a seminar or two. Brett Greiveldinger will also present, and I think he'll be doing something on motorhomes. We're still working out the schedule and will have it online ASAP. In my opinion, the workshops & seminars are a huge part of the value of this event, and really the primary reason why we are putting it together.

By the way, I heard today that there will be an exhibit of GTOs at the Auto Museum while we are there. The Saratoga Automobile Museum is in itself a great place to visit, and as I mentioned, the admission is free to people attending the Jam.

Since the seminars I mentioned are being presented without any compensation to the speakers, we can keep the walk-in fee rather cheap. But to camp on the grounds of the Saratoga Automobile Museum is technically very tricky. There are no facilities for camping on site, so we have to bring in water, electric, pump-out trucks, food, trash cans -- everything.

If the $160 fee is too much, you can always camp off-site and walk in for $45. That covers the seminars, the dinner, and the entertainment (sword swallowing, anyone?). A full-hookup campground would probably cost about $90 so you'd save $25 and be able to run your air conditioning. I encourage people to do this if it works better for them.

Carol asked what else there is to do in the area. Saratoga Springs is in a great area with lots of things to see and do. See this link for details.

Mandolindave asked about jamming. We'd love to have some music! Bring your instruments. I'll have my ukuleles there. (I hope I don't dissuade anyone from coming with that statement!)

Soldiermedic joked about being "jammed in there". Seriously, there's acres of space on the grass for us to park, but since we have to bring in the utilities, we have decided to limit the total number of trailers to 100. Only 20 non-vintage units will be accepted, and those spaces are first-come, first-served. After we hit the limit, you can still show up but only as a walk-in.

It should be a lot of fun for the people who come. If the event is a success, we might even do it again next year ...
That sounds better.

Not that the promoters have to explain the business end of this event, but I was more concerned with my latest pet pieve of paying for and then not being able to eat the food offered at such events. Last time (and there have been way too many times) i told myself THIS IS IT! no more rally food. There should be a way to opt out of the dinner charge. I did want to address this when purchasing passes on VTS, but there was not a way to ask this question before clicking buy now.
Other then THAT, I really do not have a problem with the total cost of the event. Just trying to make a point about how fees change and add up.

If you are really going to have that many seminars or classes, three days is a pinch.

One more thing...does "the Company" or the Club" have rights to the word Rally or Meet? somehow Jam and Vintage do not really jell together for me. Jam being used by the young and hip and Vintage is, well, vintage. I think it makes me feel older....hey....like my trailer!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #18
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
somehow Jam and Vintage do not really jell together for me. Jam being used by the young and hip and Vintage is, well, vintage. I think it makes me feel older....hey....like my trailer!
To me, the vintage Airstream community is the young and hip scene! Something about having little money but lots of energy to fix things up has lots to do with it. The new, young, vintage attitude is what got me back into Airstreams.
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari62
somehow Jam and Vintage do not really jell together for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner
To me, the vintage Airstream community is the young and hip scene!
Safari62,

I agree with John, Vintage is the new Hip. As far as the using the word Jam. Tony Hawk (the skateboarder) is famous for his annual event called the "Boom Boom Huck Jam" and is considered hip by many of the "young." Though he is turning 40 this year I doubt he will be changing the event name to "rally"
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner
To me, the vintage Airstream community is the young and hip scene! Something about having little money but lots of energy to fix things up has lots to do with it. The new, young, vintage attitude is what got me back into Airstreams.
Dig it! Then I must be an aging hipster. After the restoration of the trailer I certainly can relate to the little money part. I am afraid if the energy returns I might buy another one and try it again. So I have a self imposed fix and finish one at a time rule.

Which brings me back to the way this is being advertised with the attempt to possibility attract a younger group that has not taken to the existing "rally" formula. Hench the "Jam" catch word and as Rich mentioned "it is not wbccl, Forum, vac, or others mentioned.

Interesting.....is it possible to remove all to things we do not like about Rallies now and try something new? I have a small list but I would start with food. Did i mention bad food. bad, cold, dished out in small portions by the same people collecting the fees? Yes, that's right, I am not going to let this food topic go until someone tells me it's optional.

So good for the Vintage lifestyle dreamweavers that also offer parts and installation to help us on the road to our "AirstreamDreams" (thanks Steve) and Rich and Colin for trying something new.

I'll pay extra if Fred Coldwell makes an appearance. He does not have to give a seminar, just have him cruise the grounds in a chuaffered golf cart or better yet, one of the GTO's, with bull horn in hand making comments on each vintage unit his driver stops at. PRICELESS!