Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #61
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I wonder how many Geo cars.... within 10 miles.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
If we come, I bake pie... Two pies for that is all my oven will hold. So are there any full hook up site left?
I will bake cookies!!!!

I am pretty sure we are coming. It will be the weekend after our 3 week adventure to International- but we really want to check it out. We will arrive late on Friday and stay thru Sunday. I think we will bring up the '39 and possibly have Colin bring down our '67 (so we can camp in the '67). Of course we will bring the fur kids too.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #63
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Aprils Airstream cookies rock!

Gary, Peach pie it is. If this "JAM" was two weeks later, we could have fresh homegrown peaches from our orchard. I registered yesterday and we are trailer 79.....
Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Aprils Airstream cookies rock!

Gary, Peach pie it is. If this "JAM" was two weeks later, we could have fresh homegrown peaches from our orchard. I registered yesterday and we are trailer 79.....
Good News Frank!
I have been up north and just checked in to the forums to see that you have signed on. Does trailer 79 mean the number of trailers attending so far?

That means everyone else still trying to decide should sign up now. This is the first of it's kind event and next year fuel will be seven dollars a gallon.

NOW is the time! Sign up as the maximum on site paking is one hundred units.
Peach pie, cookies, and Fred Coldwell rumored to attend.

How about that SOTR guy? Signed up?
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #65
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
the sort guy is only able to come for part of the day on saturday. I think he is having issue about the cost for a family of 5 to come and pay such a high fee for the day. In my not so humble opinion he is a celebrity and the promoters of the event should not only beg him to come, but should pay him to come. That is just my opinion...
Gary, I am going to bake you one fine pie, one that you will never forget...
Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
the sort guy is only able to come for part of the day on saturday. I think he is having issue about the cost for a family of 5 to come and pay such a high fee for the day. In my not so humble opinion he is a celebrity and the promoters of the event should not only beg him to come, but should pay him to come. That is just my opinion...
Gary, I am going to bake you one fine pie, one that you will never forget...
Geez, you'd think that airstream fixin' place up near Canada would have some special deal for their best customers? Have them all lined up for display since we have heard all the back stories in podcast world.
Maybe it would be cheaper to bring the trailer and smuggle the wife and kids in the back?
So GSM will have to sponsor the vap staff don't you think? I sure would like to see ALL the work done on that long trailer.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #67
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Let me clarify:

Anyone can show up for free and visit to their heart's content. There will be a public Open House on Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. So come over and say "Hi" even if you can't stay!

Only if you want to attend the entertainment, dinner, or seminars, or visit the Automobile Museum, would you have to pay a fee. Just lookin' doesn't cost anything!

So Rob (SOTR/VAP) can come for the day if he wants to! We've all been in touch with him lately but I think he has scheduling challenges to work around. Don't know if he will be there yet.

And by the way, Fred Coldwell is confirmed. If you want to see the tentative schedule of events, check it out here. (Sorry, no formal pie contest but I'll be happy to try any pies that are offered and give you my unbiased opinion.)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #68
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
. In my not so humble opinion he is a celebrity and the promoters of the event should not only beg him to come, but should pay him to come. That is just my opinion...
I also should have said " for he has promoted and encouraged countless people to patronize the sponsors of this event. For if it had not been for the SORT guy, I probably would be buying my parts from California, thinking the Blue Beret was the best of the best, and doing all my restoration work myself." Wait, I do all the restoration work myself, but you folks know what I am getting at.... Rob Baker is a major part of this community, I sure hope he is encouraged to attend this event. All that followed by "That is just my opinion...."
Old 06-10-2008, 04:45 AM   #69
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Rich, There will be a big slice of peach pie waiting for you. My entire family is very much looking forward to this event.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:11 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Airstream Celebrity

With all these "Airstream Celebrity's", I'm starting to worry about their safety. Will there be security for them at this event? Could they to end up heading down the same path like many in "Hollywood"? Will they go staight to the front of the line passing the little guy at each event? Getting all the best food, wine, tables, etc...?

I'm also starting to worry about the direction of Airstreaming! Next thing you know, there will be East Coast/Weast Coast wars, stories of how people lost their Airstreams to the "High Life", stories on the front cover of the Blue Beret of the train wrecks many of the "Celebrity's" have become! It starts with just a little event, next thing you know, everything is out of control.

I wish now, I was going to the International in Bozeman! I need to see a tie, black shoes, white shirt and a blue beret to let me know there is still hope for this hobby.

Where's an IBT member when you need them?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Now I'm really getting excited! We will be coming off a 3 week trip to International (our longest yet) and then we get to meet & greet with all the VIP's in the airstream community. Am I seeing a live taping of the VAP in our future? I will bring lots of cookies!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
If I were a couple thousand miles closer I'd definitely make it to this event.

And if I were to make it to this event, I'd definitely want to see Rob Baker and his legendary Sweet Sovereign Of The Road there.

Just my opinion, y'all have a great time, and hopefully I'll be able to attend next year's event!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #73
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
....if I were to make it to this event, I'd definitely want to see Rob Baker and his legendary laugh
Fixed
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #74
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
I'm glad to hear that I won't have to pay the full gate price to stop by and say hello. I'm only a couple hours away from Saratoga, and I've got breakfast plans with Frank. I would be attending with my Airstream, but the trailer is a bit drafty these days.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #75
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Pancakes or waffles? Sausage or bacon? With cream and sugar or black?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #76
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Pancakes or waffles? Sausage or bacon? With cream and sugar or black?
Waffles! Coffee black, like the cowboys drink it.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #77
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
I also should have said " for he has promoted and encouraged countless people to patronize the sponsors of this event.
Rob is also personally responsible for getting dozens of people into vintage trailers, increasing the venders customer base quite a bit. I know that I have Rob to thank for getting me into a vintage Airstream.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
Fixed
Yup, that too!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #79
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I spoke with Rob and he cannot come due to Marine Corp duties...
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
I'll see, but it's doubtful

Thanks for the words below. It's not about the costs - IT'S ABOUT THE TIME!!!! This is my current situation. I am now back on Active Duty with the Marine Corps, here in Quantico. I can't get the time to come for the whole enchilada as I'm starting from scratch on leave time. I wish I could make it all as it's sounding like a blast - there is one heck of a line up! I just went into the hole for leave to host my own Pageant of Bands Rally. If I was to come, this is what I'd have to do to make it for just a few hours on Saturday... depart Quantico on Friday, July 11th at 1700 (5pm) and drive 7 hours to make it to my house around midnight. I'd have to get up at 0600, get the wife and kids ready, depart around 7am, drive the 3 hours to Saratoga Springs, visit, then drive home 3 hours, and then drive back to Virginia on Sunday. Right now, since I'm away from home and the family so much, I'm leaning on just driving home and spending the time with my family... and not putting them through a day of hell on the road ( and my luck it'll be 100 degrees that day too!), for a few hours there where I would not be spending time with my family (they are not into Airstreams like the nut I am). We're already doing the East Coast VAC Rally in two weeks and that'll be a logistical nightmare to make that event too...I'll be commuting on Thursday and Friday 128 miles each way for that one, and then Zoe' is driving on Friday after school the 438 miles one way to spend Saturday with me. I don't want to put Zoe' and the boys through that twice in less than a month... and I don't want to leave them at home and not be able to spend the time with them either...Time is precious! I hope you all understand. Next year.... maybe....the schedule will be a little better.... and you never know what happens tomorrow!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote