Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
It has been a wonderful weekend. Quahna is a sweet place. The rally was well organized and fun. thanks

Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #16

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Looking forward to attending in 2016.

Anyone else have comments from the 2015 event?

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Anyone else have comments from the 2015 event?
It was good - boon docking on the streets.

Quanah, like most small town Texas, has experienced a distinct downturn in economic activity since the '50's.

Now, the town has recognized the benefits of revitalizing the old square area and has taken some innovative steps to advertise the development of their downtown renovation.

So much so, that youngsters (high school age food workers) as far as 40 miles away, upon seeing our AS trailer in the parking lot, asked if we were going to Quanah. Upon asking why they would ask such a question, they explained that the town had been planning the gathering for months and there was a lot of coverage in the press about the Airstream campout for the last several weeks.

It was obvious that the townspeople invested a lot of effort just for the 150 or so trailers that were in attendance. One of the entertainment venues I enjoyed most was the second and third grade kids concert - and this is from a non-parent who has never been exposed to a required attendance of such a presentation.

For sure, the townspeople are not experienced event organizers, but they really tried. I am sure they will be better at the gathering next year. As an example of their enthusiasm, someone mentioned the lack of trash cans in the area, the very next day, on a Saturday morning, trash cans appeared on EVERY block, on both sides of the street.

The staging of arrival at the rest area was absolutely necessary - but a couple of the old farts at the rest area who were organizing the convoys need to be replaced next year.

Overall, this was a great gathering, but very few AirForums members participated. I think that this was perceived as a WBCCI only thing - not the case at all - those that were not in attendance missed a great free campout.

I plan to make it again next year.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
We are planning on attending this year. I think I saw a note that they were planning a visit for the attendees to the nearby Medicine Mounds and have been given permission by the land owner. At one time they were Comanche ceremonial sites. I've only seen them from the highway and had heard rattlesnakes were common there. I wouldn't be surprised since the rest area has signs advising to watch for snakes. Quanah is a great little town and a tour of the old Hardeman County jail is interesting. History and railroad buffs might enjoy the museum at the Quanah, Acme & Pacific depot. For those coming early or leaving late, Copper Breaks State Park is about 14 miles south and maintains a small herd of the original Texas Longhorn stock. http://familytravel.everything-every...ks-state-park/ About 9 miles west on US 287 beyond the gypsum mines is a commercial RV park at a repurposed abandoned cotton gin.

AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote