Old 01-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
itchin' too

We went to the RV show on Sat. and that made us homesick for staying in the Airstream. It is too darn cold to go out and driveway camp. LOL!

Jason and Andrea, how are the interior renovations coming along. Got it all done??

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
The cabinets are coming along well! I am a bit further along than the pictures show (haven't had the camera out to the AS in the last few days). The coutertop maker stopped by on Friday, he took the sink and he should have an estimate for us soon. We're either doing Corian or butcher block. The stove is temporarily set in place and all is working! Now I just need the countertop, then put in the faucet and drain and we're ready to travel!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010449 (Small).JPG
Views:	91
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	119087   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010619 (Small).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	119088  

Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
great

sounds like great progress there! Can't wait to see it in person!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Provided that you are still planning to come to the TAC-OH rally, then you will get to see the new kitchen in its debut showing. The rally will be the first outing of our AS in the 2011 year. We'll be there on Wed. night.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Time for a little rally info.

For those that are seasoned to the area or those that are new, we've planned a little road trip for everyone. You will receive revised driving directions in your welcome packet, but for those of you that would like to start planning your trip and tour through Ohio Amish country, I have comprised a Google Map with driving directions. The destinations include something for everyone. Exotic lumber, power tools, fresh groceries, cheese tasting and shopping, fabrics, Amish history, and old-time furnishings, toys, and housewares. Not to mention buggy traffic and "horse apples". Take a look here: TAC road trip directions - Google Maps and see for yourself where you can tour when you come to the Ohio TAC Rally. In making this trip, we really tried to highlight Amish life. The route takes you through the back roads so you will see how the Amish really live here in Ohio. The planned routes take you first hand through what us locals see everyday, not what the tour buses would take you on. These are roads that we travel week after week in collection of the things that we use in our daily life. The destinations are for tourists and locals alike, but they are where we go for our own needs. The routes...you won't get anywhere else.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
There is the most amazing carving museum at Dover, not too far off the route, for those interested in woodcarving. Check it out here Warthers Museum Dover, Ohio - Home
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Jason didn't post the stops along the route for people interested in the Amish area. I'll post the links with a brief description below so you can see if any of them interest you.

Lehman’s
This store has been serving the local Amish community with high quality non-electric items since 1955. It’s 32,000 square feet of retail space with hand tools, oil lamps, wood stoves, laundry supplies, toys, and kitchen wares. We highly recommend this place.

Behalt – The Amish and Mennonite Heritage Center - Admission fee is charged
A 30 minute tour featuring a 265ft. mural in-the-round will explain the history and beliefs of the Amish and Mennonite culture in this area. There is also a video which helps to explain their lifestyle and faith.

Heini’s Cheese Chalet
They produce cheese on site with milk from local Amish farms. They have about 50 cheeses you can sample while shopping. If you’re in need of a snack this is a good place to stop. Kauffman’s Bakery is across the street, you can sample baked goods there.

Keim Lumber
They serve the Amish community in the area which consists of many woodworkers. Their tool selection, especially hand tools, is impressive. They also stock over 60 exotic wood species in their showroom.

Troyers Country Market
This is another place to stop if you’re in need of a snack, lots of samples. They have cheese, produce, a deli, and they’re the home of Amish Wedding Foods (canned jams, jellies and preserves).

Zinck’s
Zinck’s is Ohio’s largest fabric and textile retailer. This is a no-frills fabric store housed in a big pole barn. They stock closeout and some irregular fabrics with a huge selection of fleece and quilting fabrics. Most items are less than $3/yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
There is the most amazing carving museum at Dover, not too far off the route, for those interested in woodcarving. Check it out here Warthers Museum Dover, Ohio - Home
Thanks shacksman, I'll add that to the list of non-Amish places of interest. Jason loves that place. Every year he tells me we need to go there so I can see it.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #36
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
Wood Carving

I believe we saw this display several years ago. The detail is amazing. Well worth the side trip. If I remember-didn't this gentleman's wife collect buttons? Weren't they on display in another building on thier property?

I think this museum also sell knives and carving tools.

Kathy
TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2K View Post
I believe we saw this display several years ago. The detail is amazing. Well worth the side trip. If I remember-didn't this gentleman's wife collect buttons? Weren't they on display in another building on thier property?

I think this museum also sell knives and carving tools.

Kathy
The buttons and arrowheads are in another building on the property. They sell knives that are guarenteed forever.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
That's an impressive list -- some we go to (Lehman's & Keim Lumber -- Keim has a large sale, clearance, of first quality items customers have ordered but didn't take and overstock items, either once or twice a year), and the other stores we haven't heard of but will have to check out.

I'd like to add two places --

1) About two miles East of Millersburg on SR. 39 is a cheese factory with a small company store. They make absolutely the best and freshest swiss cheese we have ever found, they also sell other mfr's cheese along with trail balogne, etc. Only open Monday through Friday, no weekend sales.

2) On SR. 241, between Millersburg and Mt. Eaton, but closer to Mt. Eaton is "Ashery Country Store" which sells the largest selection of bulk items I've ever seen in one location, as well as ice cream cones. We normally make an annual run there to stock up for the coming year. When we stopped in there in November we noticed they had remodeled and it seemed as though they had even more in there. They also have some things in there that we normally find in health food stores around here such as agave sweetner, flax seeds, etc. and so many different types of normal things such as wheat flour, rye flour, rice flour, organic speltz flour -- many, many organic items. A real gem of a place to hang out for an hour or so. We have seen greyhound bus type vehicles bringing people in to shop when we've been there.

Deb
Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hall View Post
That's an impressive list -- some we go to (Lehman's & Keim Lumber -- Keim has a large sale, clearance, of first quality items customers have ordered but didn't take and overstock items, either once or twice a year), and the other stores we haven't heard of but will have to check out.

I'd like to add two places --

1) About two miles East of Millersburg on SR. 39 is a cheese factory with a small company store. They make absolutely the best and freshest swiss cheese we have ever found, they also sell other mfr's cheese along with trail balogne, etc. Only open Monday through Friday, no weekend sales.

2) On SR. 241, between Millersburg and Mt. Eaton, but closer to Mt. Eaton is "Ashery Country Store" which sells the largest selection of bulk items I've ever seen in one location, as well as ice cream cones. We normally make an annual run there to stock up for the coming year. When we stopped in there in November we noticed they had remodeled and it seemed as though they had even more in there. They also have some things in there that we normally find in health food stores around here such as agave sweetner, flax seeds, etc. and so many different types of normal things such as wheat flour, rye flour, rice flour, organic speltz flour -- many, many organic items. A real gem of a place to hang out for an hour or so. We have seen greyhound bus type vehicles bringing people in to shop when we've been there.

Deb
You've stumped me on the cheese place. About 2 miles west on 39 there is Holmes Cheese Company. The only other thing I can think of that would be 2 miles east is Guggisberg (which is famous for their swiss), but that's not on 39 and both places are open on Saturday. I think I'll have to go for a drive this weekend and see if there is a cheese place I'm unaware of.

There is also a place a little north of Millersburg. They grow oats, wheat, and spelt which is all certified organic. I just went and picked up 50 pounds of wheat berries last month. That's where I go to get a lot of my quinoa, coconut oil and raw apple cider vinegar as well. They have a little store on their farm that is unmanned. You go in, collect whatever you want, write up a bill and then leave the money or a check on the counter. I don't want to put their name or their address on the web in case someone dishonest might read this forum. If you want their name and address send me a PM and I'll give it to you.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
This is fantastic you have Lehman's on there!!!!

Thanks for all the hard work here. I hope the weather holds and I can make this event.

Lin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Time for a little rally info.

For those that are seasoned to the area or those that are new, we've planned a little road trip for everyone. You will receive revised driving directions in your welcome packet, but for those of you that would like to start planning your trip and tour through Ohio Amish country, I have comprised a Google Map with driving directions. The destinations include something for everyone. Exotic lumber, power tools, fresh groceries, cheese tasting and shopping, fabrics, Amish history, and old-time furnishings, toys, and housewares. Not to mention buggy traffic and "horse apples". Take a look here: TAC road trip directions - Google Maps and see for yourself where you can tour when you come to the Ohio TAC Rally. In making this trip, we really tried to highlight Amish life. The route takes you through the back roads so you will see how the Amish really live here in Ohio. The planned routes take you first hand through what us locals see everyday, not what the tour buses would take you on. These are roads that we travel week after week in collection of the things that we use in our daily life. The destinations are for tourists and locals alike, but they are where we go for our own needs. The routes...you won't get anywhere else.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Andrea,

I typed East while thinking West. We drive North on 62 coming through Danville, and at the light in Millersburg, turn left, which should be West. And, I think it is called Holmes Cheese Company; when we were in there in November, I remarked to them about their remodeling and how it smelled so clean and new. Very nice people. If they're open on Saturday, that is something new to me; we have always scheduled our "Amish day trip" for our bulk goods during the week using a day's vacation because of the cheese shop not being open on Saturday -- I'm glad to hear they are open on Saturday.

Oh, one other thing...........have you ever eaten in the hotel's dining room (Millersburg)? Some friends told us about it and we have eaten there twice since November. It's very quaint and the food was great; a nice change of pace.

I am going to PM you about the other place, thanks.

Deb
Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
If they're open on Saturday, that is something new to me; we have always scheduled our "Amish day trip" for our bulk goods during the week using a day's vacation because of the cheese shop not being open on Saturday -- I'm glad to hear they are open on Saturday.

You're right, I just called they're only open M-F.

Quote:
Oh, one other thing...........have you ever eaten in the hotel's dining room (Millersburg)? Some friends told us about it and we have eaten there twice since November. It's very quaint and the food was great; a nice change of pace.
We have eaten at the Hotel Millersburg a couple of times, I really like their sandwiches. They also have bands that play in the back courtyard on summer weekends. The last time we were there it was 3 guys singing oldies tunes. I'm guessing there are less than 10 tables back there so it's a very intimate setting. We really enjoyed it and I would love to go back (without the kids this time ) Jason, if you read this that's a hint and the band was The Good Will band. I would like to see them again but find a babysitter this time.

Tags
ohio, rally, tac