Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
WOW--this many signing on and it isn't even 2011. Looks like I am going to have to plan for much more food. I am sooooo looking forward to this outing. Great way to start the 2011 camping season.

Kathy and Hank

TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'll see if we might possibly be able to attend as well. It's a bit of a haul from Northern Virginia for a weekend, but we'll see what we can do! Would love to meet some of our fellow TAC members -

Ann Sue and Chris
That's a haul all right, but one that we make a couple times a year (only once with the AS, though!). We regularly visit Williamsburg. We're planning a trip this Thanksgiving (no AS). We were there this past April and plan to be there next April (around spring break time) next year.

Kinda amazing, but with Disney in Feb, the OH rally in early April, and Williamsburg in late April; we'll have 3 camping trips under our belt before April is over!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Thanks Jason
Im hoping maybe we can hookup with Hank and Kathy and there is another couple close by here I forgot his name. We could make a regular caravan of it. We had several Ohio outings a few yrs ago and only one was close. We have lots of state parks in this end of the state too. I think GL St.Marys is out for a while but there are others.
Maybe we can get somepin goin in dis part of da state. Im to old to host something like that but would be glad to help as I always am.Im not a puttertogether er LOL I'm just a helper.

I have no idea what the future of the TAC-OH rally will hold. Maybe everyone says Wooster is great and we return there in rallies to come. Personally, I'd love to see it be a "traveling" rally, but we should get the first one in the books before we all start planning the next. The Cincinnati area has long been a "holy grail" of camping for us as we've planned two years in a row at multiple times of the year to go there and for one reason or another, it's never happened! Sounds like you and H2K get to plan TAC-OH 2012. Thanks for volunteering, Roger!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi, Ann Sue and Chris.

I am curious, I just read that you are going to Disney in February............does that mean that you are dewinterizing to go? If so, you will have to rewinterize when you return?

Also, does going over the mountains to head south (Kentucky/TN) worry you pulling your AS in case of freezing rain or snow?

Just asking as this is all new to us, and we are babies about just driving our vehicles on packed snow/ice not to mention pulling our AS.

I'm thinking we may be attending the April rally in Wooster, but then again, are we going to have to rewinterize? That is the question.

Deb
Old 12-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
I have to come to P&S in April to get my 34'. I might just be able to add this to my itinerary! How far is this from P&S? Looks like maybe an hour or two max!
-Tim

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
yep

You are about right on that time line. Wooster is not too far!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
tricky OH weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hall View Post
Hi, Ann Sue and Chris.
I am curious, I just read that you are going to Disney in February............does that mean that you are dewinterizing to go? If so, you will have to rewinterize when you return?
Also, does going over the mountains to head south (Kentucky/TN) worry you pulling your AS in case of freezing rain or snow?
Just asking as this is all new to us, and we are babies about just driving our vehicles on packed snow/ice not to mention pulling our AS.
I'm thinking we may be attending the April rally in Wooster, but then again, are we going to have to rewinterize? That is the question.
Deb
Deb,
Ohio has tricky weather at that time of weather. Larry and I went to the first NOVA rally at Jackson Center at the end of March last year. We did "dry camping" because it was still windy and cold. Then we headed south to FL the next week. We got to KY which was way warmer and de-winterized for the southern loop. Winterizing the tanks and pipes is only a matter of a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze and about 20 min. once you know what to do. Not that big of a deal. Our concern is usually not the ice and snow on the road, but the salt that is on the northern roads. Salt and aluminum is NOT a good thing.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Lou,

First, I hope Larry is doing well.

Thanks for responding about the winterization and driving on the roads. Isn't jack knifing a possibility on icy roads? I don't know, I probably worry too much. Early on I had wanted to attend the Canopenner, but the thought of going over those mountains in KY and TN just changed my mind.

Deb
Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
I have to come to P&S in April to get my 34'. I might just be able to add this to my itinerary! How far is this from P&S? Looks like maybe an hour or two max!
-Tim
If your route home from P&S includes I-75 north to the toll road, then jumping on US-30 east would only be 2 - 2.5 hours to Wooster.

Would love to see ya there. You come to my rally, I'll go to yours!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I seems that our trip to Disney in Feb is all but canceled. We've had some unexpected large expenditures in the last couple months that now make it seem that Disney won't fit in the budget. Nevertheless, our plan was to cross out fingers to make it down the hill and out the driveway. Once on the open road, no worries. Predictions of blizzards or 2' of snow would likely cancel things, though. We planned to stop overnight in SC and de-winterize. On the return trip, we were planning to stop again in NC or TN overnight and re-winterize.

That being said, the TAC-OH rally dates were discussed at length. Yes, it's risking crappy weather in northern OH in early April. It might be 60 and sunny. We might get a foot of snow. Due to the venue and wanting to do the rally pre-Bash timeframe, we kinda ended up at Apr 8-10. It might be close around the campfire to stay warm and some of us might be dry camping. Nevertheless, we'll be Airstreamin' and that's the important part!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
pick your route

Quote:
Lou,
First, I hope Larry is doing well.
Thanks for responding about the winterization and driving on the roads. Isn't jack knifing a possibility on icy roads? I don't know, I probably worry too much. Early on I had wanted to attend the Canopenner, but the thought of going over those mountains in KY and TN just changed my mind.
Deb
Larry is doing well. He was out in the fresh air pushing a snow blower today and did great. A little at a time.
Yes, accidents can happen on ice and snow. You need to pick your time and your route with regard to snow and ice. Find a good time to sneak out the back door as Larry says. Once you get south of Cinci, it is usually pretty good. But you have to watch the fronts coming up through KY and TN. We are retired and can pick and choose our times. Others may not be able to do so. Where are you in Ohio? I forget what you told me.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Quote:
Hi, Ann Sue and Chris.

Deb
Hi, Deb - We are traveling south in February, but not with our Airstream. We're going on a Disney Cruise Line cruise from Port Canaveral, FL and decided to drive down instead of fly. Hope the weather will be okay! Since we live in Northern Virginia (DC area), we don't plan to go on any winter camping trips in the Airstream since we'd have to de-winterize and then re-winterize, although we do plan to take the Sequoia up to Frederick, MD (where we store our Airstream), hook it up, and drive around for about an hour to keep the A/S battery charged up. Sorry not to be able to answer your questions about towing through the ice and snow! We're new to this towing thing, too, and we'd probably have trepidations about it as you do. Hope to see you in Wooster in April!
WBCCI #2515
TAC #VA-9
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Lou.

We're about one hour NE of Columbus. We are hoping to make the Wooster rally, if so, we'll come Rt. 62 N through Danville to Millersburg and then take 83N to Wooster. I guess I need to check it out to see which side of Wooster the fairgrounds are on.

We're excited about meeting everyone there. We have both read the forums so much we feel we already know some of you (I do most of the posting and asking questions though).

About the Winter traveling, we aren't retired yet (although I could be, I'm older), so we do have to plan vacation time so our departure/arrival dates are tight.

How about this January weather in December!? I've been following northern Ohio, and I know you all have been getting snow dumped onto you a lot, but even down here, I can't remember the last day which we didn't have some sort of snowfall. And the temps. have been so low! That's probably one reason we are looking forward to planning for a Florida camping getaway now -- thinking of how nice and warm it would be down there!

Wish we could make the Canopener, but it just isn't in the cards this year. Maybe next if we get used to pulling more and know what to expect and when with her. As I said before, icy roads are a bear. I can't imagine how our members from the states north of us and into Canada do it every year!

--

Golfgal,

Thanks for responding. I suppose being super cautious is normal for beginner AS'rs, I don't know, but it's good to know we aren't the only ones.

Have fun on your cruise, and please think of all of us back here in the "freezer" while you're enjoying the sun on the deck!

I hadn't thought about having to drive around to charge the battery, but that's probably a good idea.

--

Winestream,

Sorry you won't be able to go to Disney, but things happen.

If we make it to the rally in Wooster, I imagine we will be dry camping too. I know my DH, and he won't want to risk a freeze.

Thanks again all.

Deb
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Only 89 days until the start of the rally. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm itching to go camping again.

Tags
ohio, rally, tac