Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #121
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Wow~

Holy Cow! I had no idea you had the shell off! Very brave of you. Good luck.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #122
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I'm sure it's good but since BBQ was invented in KC I know it's better there.
Sorry Skip, but you have been sadly misinformed on the true origins of BBQ: the history of pigs and the history of BBQ are closely intertwined, and pigs (far more than cattle or poultry) were a staple food throughout the South well before the Civil War. Often, hog-slaughtering time was a joyous community-wide occasion, and it was inevitable that, sooner or later, a whole animal would be roasted and shared to celebrate the occasion. BBQ historians are generally of the opinion that the traditional Southern barbecue grew out of these gatherings.

The history of the BBQ sauce is less murky. Prior to the invention of effective refrigeration, a common problem was how to preserve meat for long periods. In North Carolina a common method was to “cure” meat, particularly pork, in a mixture of vinegar, water, salt, and peppers (still the definitive North Carolina-style BBQ sauce). Vinegar was employed as the preservative, as a cheap and plentiful bactericide.

The original idea of adding mustard and mustard-based sauces still predominates in South Carolina and in some parts of eastern North Carolina, to this day. Adding tomato ketchup to produce something resembling modern-day BBQ sauce apparently arose in Virginia and Georgia.

In the half century preceding the Civil War, large outdoor BBQ parties had become entrenched in Southern culture, most often featuring a whole roasted pig. Plantation owners hosted large, festive BBQs to entertain neighbors and friends, or to feed their slaves. By the nineteenth century, barbecue had evolved into a standard feature of church picnics and political rallies: Barbecue, lemonade, and corn whiskey became a common and inexpensive way to buy political allegiance.

The addition of using Beef and Poultry for a BBQ was considered an attack on the orgins of what was considered the true BBQ. The meat was the foundation and the ingrediants and the process the framing. So as you can see, Texas and Kansas City along with Memphis adapted the process and ingredients to their own regional style.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #123
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Holy Cow! I had no idea you had the shell off! Very brave of you. Good luck.
Actually Pam, Don and Paul realized that the smoker wasn't big enough to cook enough for the weekend, so buy gutting VT they now have a real "Smoke House"!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #124
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
Sorry Skip, but you have been sadly misinformed on the true origins of BBQ: the history of pigs and the history of BBQ are closely intertwined, and pigs (far more than cattle or poultry) were a staple food throughout the South well before the Civil War. Often, hog-slaughtering time was a joyous community-wide occasion, and it was inevitable that, sooner or later, a whole animal would be roasted and shared to celebrate the occasion. BBQ historians are generally of the opinion that the traditional Southern barbecue grew out of these gatherings.

The history of the BBQ sauce is less murky. Prior to the invention of effective refrigeration, a common problem was how to preserve meat for long periods. In North Carolina a common method was to “cure” meat, particularly pork, in a mixture of vinegar, water, salt, and peppers (still the definitive North Carolina-style BBQ sauce). Vinegar was employed as the preservative, as a cheap and plentiful bactericide.

The original idea of adding mustard and mustard-based sauces still predominates in South Carolina and in some parts of eastern North Carolina, to this day. Adding tomato ketchup to produce something resembling modern-day BBQ sauce apparently arose in Virginia and Georgia.

In the half century preceding the Civil War, large outdoor BBQ parties had become entrenched in Southern culture, most often featuring a whole roasted pig. Plantation owners hosted large, festive BBQs to entertain neighbors and friends, or to feed their slaves. By the nineteenth century, barbecue had evolved into a standard feature of church picnics and political rallies: Barbecue, lemonade, and corn whiskey became a common and inexpensive way to buy political allegiance.

The addition of using Beef and Poultry for a BBQ was considered an attack on the orgins of what was considered the true BBQ. The meat was the foundation and the ingrediants and the process the framing. So as you can see, Texas and Kansas City along with Memphis adapted the process and ingredients to their own regional style.
Let's not confuse the issue with actual facts. I was hoping to start a heated debate with my poor information!!! perhaps even causing threats og bodily harm when I got to Don's house.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Let's not confuse the issue with actual facts. I was hoping to start a heated debate with my poor information!!! perhaps even causing threats og bodily harm when I got to Don's house.
I'm worried Skip. First the offer to chop off fingers. Now the sheer gumption, spunk - dare I say, audacity - to question the origins of BBQ.

Hope you're still alive when I get there later in the afternoon.

p.s. If not, I call the Overlander!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post

That's all well and good, but of course BEEF was far more plentiful than swine in Texas. So naturally BEEF became the BBQ of choice here, also before the Civil War. I'm not certain how BBQing beef could be considered an attack on Carolina-style BBQ, since the Carolinians never did it (or of they did, they did it so poorly that nobody bothers to talk about it ).

And smoking meats has long been a natural preservative in itself, that one goes back thousands, not just hundreds, of years.

Anyway, y'all be sure to enjoy your BBQ, I'm certain you'll have a grand time debating the best, and the origins of, BBQ into the wee hours, all whilst soaking up some suds as well.

I'm jealous, wish I were there (except that it's currently 78 degrees and bright sunshine here, of course ).

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
And now seems an appropriate time to re-post something I'd never seen until our dear friend Francis posted it a couple of years ago, it makes me laugh every time:

Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #128
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I'm worried Skip. First the offer to chop off fingers. Now the sheer gumption, spunk - dare I say, audacity - to question the origins of BBQ.

Hope you're still alive when I get there later in the afternoon.

p.s. If not, I call the Overlander!

Tom
Chalk it up to cabin fever/Spring fever
Old 03-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #129
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Chalk it up to cabin fever/Spring fever
jungle fever/dance fever/night fever ..... hay fever?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
TAC on the brain

Thinking of you guys out there... high teens or low 20s last night? Staying warm I hope! I know it was down near 12 here last night. Got Propane!?
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #131
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
They a hearty lot!! I'm heading over to check on them in just a little bit. I'll let you know how they faired.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:39 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Thinking of you guys out there... high teens or low 20s last night? Staying warm I hope! I know it was down near 12 here last night. Got Propane!?
Teens? They make temperatures down in the TEENS???

You yankees are some crazy folk living like that...
Old 03-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #133
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
think of it this way: its much easier to make "heat" than it is to make "cold".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
think of it this way: its much easier to make "heat" than it is to make "cold".
I suppose that's ONE way to look at it.

Here's another!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	austin_weather.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	98868  
Old 03-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #135
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I wanted to leave the party early to get to caring for my sweet sweet wife. I really missed her. What a great gathering of people!! All had great fun hanging out and just bring together. The smoking was going well when I left. Nearly done. I was able to snag some chicken that I ate when I got home. it was terrific!! now on too some photos:

The requisite camp fire.

The Airstreams present

Inside for some food

My brother creating a mussel bruschetta burrito. you had to be there. trust me. It was good.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Attn: All.
Wish we were there! Actually thought of jumping on I-91 and showing up for a few hours, but other things happened.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #137
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Boy, am I ever out of touch! Don: I scanned your posts in this thread trying to see if you are setting VT up for solar and I didn't see anything about it (I could have missed it). Is solar in your future? As you know Leon and I could not be happier about the solar system we installed on "The Tube". With the interior out of VT it's the perfect time to at least get the wiring in place.

PS: Your key incident made me howl with laughter.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Maple Airstreaming

Yup, wishing we were there, but with a short 5 week deployment coming up in just 2 weeks, I needed to get the rest of the sap boiled off into Maple Syrup. Here's a shot of a chilly saturday (yesterday) for us...

Have a safe drive home everyone!

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boiling 027.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	98973  
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
So how was the BBQ yesterday? Here's what I'm up to so far today, the brisket has been on for a couple of hours now.

I also have ribs that will go on the pit around noon, and the pork tenderloins around 4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_7209.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	98974   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7213.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	98975  

Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #140
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
Boy, am I ever out of touch! Don: I scanned your posts in this thread trying to see if you are setting VT up for solar and I didn't see anything about it (I could have missed it). Is solar in your future? As you know Leon and I could not be happier about the solar system we installed on "The Tube". With the interior out of VT it's the perfect time to at least get the wiring in place.
Its fun spending Don's money, isn't it?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote