Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #81
Certifiable

. , .
Smile Great info Marcus!

Thank you.

Brisket will be King this weekend. It sounds like Frank has scored us something we don't normally see around these parts. The boys and I will no doubt enter into a friendly debate on how to prepare this bad boy and I'm very interested in how pros like you treat their brisket.

FYI, in 1980, I had a brisket in Texas that may have been one of the best things I've ever eaten. All it had for a rub was salt and pepper. I've been searching for that taste experience ever since.

For this weekend, someone has suggested doing the typical dry rub treatment overnight, etc... but then, before putting it in the smoker, lathering it up with a mustard sauce. I take it you wouldn't apply the mustard sauce? Another question if I may Professor, where do you stand on Beer mops? I was thinking that we use a spicy dark beer mop periodically and then we add a little just before we finally seal up the brisket in the foil.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Thank you.

Brisket will be King this weekend. It sounds like Frank has scored us something we don't normally see around these parts. The boys and I will no doubt enter into a friendly debate on how to prepare this bad boy and I'm very interested in how pros like you treat their brisket.
If you have the time to read it, I actually wrote a "Texas BBQ Full Monte" thread a couple of years ago, complete with PICTURES! You can find it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...nty-41889.html

Quote:
FYI, in 1980, I had a brisket in Texas that may have been one of the best things I've ever eaten. All it had for a rub was salt and pepper. I've been searching for that taste experience ever since.
Oh yeah! That's the way we do it. I use some paprika in the rub as well, but it's as much for color as for flavor.

Quote:
For this weekend, someone has suggested doing the typical dry rub treatment overnight, etc... but then, before putting it in the smoker, lathering it up with a mustard sauce. I take it you wouldn't apply the mustard sauce?
I don't usually use any mustard on a brisket, but I DO use it on my ribs, and it tastes great. It certainly won't hurt the brisket, mustard is a wonderful and under-utilized condiment for meats IMHO. My Dad makes a killer lamb shank where mustard is the base. I might suggest actually putting the mustard on FIRST, and then the dry rub over that.

Quote:
Another question if I may Professor, where do you stand on Beer mops? I was thinking that we use a spicy dark beer mop periodically and then we add a little just before we finally seal up the brisket in the foil.
I don't typically use a mop on a brisket, because my objective is to keep that lid closed and let the smoke do its work. BUT, it seems you have a trimmed brisket on the way (what we would call "market trim" down here in Texico, as opposed to the "packer trim" which is really an UNtrimmed brisket with both the "flat" bottom-muscle, and the "point" top muscle). And since you have a market-trimmed brisket, you could certainly try to do a few things to keep the brisket a little moister throughout the cooking process. I love BEER, so a BEER MOP sounds pretty good to me! Another common mop is apple cider.

I suspect you'll be able to figure out something that will work, no doubt.

FRANK-- Are you taking some BBQ sauce up there?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
In thinking about it, I'd say that my recommendations are these:

Overall, I'd probably stay away from the mop. For a long cook, you want to keep that lid closed. I think the mustard base would be fine and taste good, but if you want that 1980 brisket experience, I'd just go with the simply salt and pepper rub. And some paprika, but that's me.

I know that Frank knows what he's doing, he's eaten a lot of good BBQ down here in the Republic and he's done it himself many times as well. I'd trust him, he won't steer you wrong. If authentic Texas BBQ is what you want, Frank knows how to make it for you.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #84
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Thank you for the compliment Marcus... As he said there is two kinds of BBQ. The Texas style and everything else. I only know one style.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #85
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I love BEER
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
I'd probably stay away from the mop.
I love BEER too!

No beer mop = more beer for me!

(I think I'm starting to get it now. )

~grasshopper
Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Making Me HUNGRY!

I will be content to sit back, drink some beers, take in the sights & sounds, enjoy everybody's company, and of course put on the feed bag when the BBQ comes out of the smoker. I know when to be a chief and when to be an indian, and this weekend I will be an indian.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #87
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
I will be content to sit back, drink some beers, take in the sights & sounds, enjoy everybody's company, and of course put on the feed bag when the BBQ comes out of the smoker. I know when to be a chief and when to be an indian, and this weekend I will be an indian.
I will be sitting there right next to ya. But watching the smoker to make sure both Don and Paul keep it shut.

I was so relieved today to find everything worked perfectly after a long brutal winter.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Thank you.

For this weekend, someone has suggested doing the typical dry rub treatment overnight, etc... but then, before putting it in the smoker, lathering it up with a mustard sauce. I take it you wouldn't apply the mustard sauce? Another question if I may Professor, where do you stand on Beer mops? I was thinking that we use a spicy dark beer mop periodically and then we add a little just before we finally seal up the brisket in the foil.
See what I have to deal with... mustard..... Bad enough you cann't get a good piece of beef up here..... Of course, Maryland and PA are not up here....

I'm not fond of the foil wrap as it tends to steam the crust after all that hard work of not opening the pit.....

Beer is to drink.

Frank, the beef sounds great. Frankly I was a little concerned about a full getting finished. The smoker is not cast so it works slower. There is a spice store nearby. They have fresh ground pepper that will make your eyes water touchin the jar. By fresh I mean it hasn't sat in the market for two months.....

Now I like the Texan's way of BBQ. Simple skill with a good piece of meat rather than a whole bunch of cover up. Yet, I do like some fresh out of the grinder assorted chili powder with the kosher salt and pepper...
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Wink Let The Smoker Alone

Quote:
I will be sitting there right next to ya. But watching the smoker to make sure both Don and Paul keep it shut.
Hopefully we will be able to ply Don & Paul with enough beverages to keep them occupied and away from the smoker.

Quote:
I was so relieved today to find everything worked perfectly after a long brutal winter.
I am glad to hear Anna made it though the winter unscathed. That's always a tense few moment when you are going through the systesm think...PLEASE PLEASE let everything work, because you know it is probably going to be expensive if it doesn't.

How do you all feel about black and tans??? I was thinking of getting a case of Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale and a case of Yuengling Porter to make black and tans. If not that many people are into it I will simply get two cases of the Lord Chesterfield Ale.

And

Equals...

But they're better when you make them yourself.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #90
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I will be making black and browns. Jim Beam and coke is my poison these days.

Ya know, this will be my first TAC rally. I hope I wear the right clothes and carry my flag properly... I am very worried about not following protocol.
HOLD ON!!!! I just checked and there is no protocol.
BTW what is protocol? Have I ever followed it or does it follow me? I am getting cornfussed.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #91
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
unwritten protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I will be making black and browns. Jim Beam and coke is my poison these days.

Ya know, this will be my first TAC rally. I hope I wear the right clothes and carry my flag properly... I am very worried about not following protocol.
HOLD ON!!!! I just checked and there is no protocol.
BTW what is protocol? Have I ever followed it or does it follow me? I am getting cornfussed.
and yes, you have to foillow this protocol, it is written in the official bylaws.
Click image for larger version

Name:	fool.gif
Views:	103
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	98735
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Don-- Now you're getting it. Don't tell anyone I told you this, but the truth is, the meat gets all of its smoke flavor in the first 3-5 hours, so at that point the smoke just becomes a heat source. You could actually just put it in the oven for the rest of its cook and it would come out fine. But, one really good reason to keep it on the pit is so that you can claim you are "tending the fire" and drink more beer. Also a great way to avoid the honey-dos.

(If anyone tells my wife I said this I'll call you a bloody liar! )

Over59-- Oh yeah, chiles in the rub work great. I often include some of my special chipotle powder or some chiles in the mix when I'm just cooking for myself. But you know how yankees and "spice" sometimes don't mix...

-Marcus
Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Thanks guys , now I'm not only hungry , I'm thirsty too
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #94
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi

Real beer for the serious beer drinker.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #95
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the difference in BBQ and/or smoking was in the type of wood used. Having lived in KCMO I am quite a fan of what they do there (I think hickory). Someone there told me in Texas they tended toward Mesquite. Like I said please correct me. Of course those are the possible traditional woods. Many others were prevalent at the plethora of establishments. I tried almost all of them.

Having said that: The KCMO BBQ is much like what was detailed above by utee, with the exception that it is served with lots of sauce, which I enjoy but prefer on the side.

I would give a finger from my left hand for some Pit Beans from The Martin City Smoke Stack.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #96
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
well then get out your sharpest knife 'cause he delivers anywhere!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #97
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I will be making black and browns.
But I will be making your 1st B&B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
Thanks guys , now I'm not only hungry , I'm thirsty too
Then put Paulette in the truck and get your butts down here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
Real beer for the serious beer drinker.
Got some in the fridge chilling for ya right now. Seriously.
(Don't have the cool glass though. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I would give a finger from my left hand for some Pit Beans from The Martin City Smoke Stack.
Hold on to your fingers Lefty, I think you might like my beans. (Can you say chipotle? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
I will be a Chief when it comes to parking this weekend only. After that, I'm ALL indian.

Everyone: Please realize that I am an incredibly lazy host.
After I get you your 1st drink, you are expected to make yourselves entirely at home.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #98
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
well then get out your sharpest knife 'cause he delivers anywhere!

I know, but they are best in the restaurant.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the difference in BBQ and/or smoking was in the type of wood used. Having lived in KCMO I am quite a fan of what they do there (I think hickory). Someone there told me in Texas they tended toward Mesquite. Like I said please correct me. Of course those are the possible traditional woods. Many others were prevalent at the plethora of establishments. I tried almost all of them.

Having said that: The KCMO BBQ is much like what was detailed above by utee, with the exception that it is served with lots of sauce, which I enjoy but prefer on the side.

I can't speak for other areas of the country, but here in Central Texas, BBQ = smoking, they're the same thing. It's also called "low and slow" or "indirect" cooking. You can use many different wood species. Oak is most common because it's cheap, plentiful, and makes great BBQ. Fruit woods like apple and cherry make excellent BBQ as well, but are less common down here and consequently more expensive. Hickory/pecan is also common and plentiful down here, I'll often mix in some of it along with the oak if I have some handy.

Some people use mesquite, but in my experience it burns too hot and too fast to be good for smoking meats, so I don't ever use it for that purpose. However, I do enjoy direct-grilling over mesquite coals. Mesquite has a strong flavor and a little goes a long way, so it is best saved for the quick cook times of grilling rather than the long and slow smoking process-- just my opinion of course, and when it comes to BBQ, EVERYBODY has one...

-Marcus
Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #100
Certifiable

. , .
Wink Everyone knows how to back up their rig, right?

Ideally, Frank will be parked where VT sits in this picture, Paul will be on the other side, and Carl will be stretched out in front of both.
Deborah's '55 Bubble (Ruby) will be up by the house.