Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the difference in BBQ and/or smoking was in the type of wood used. Having lived in KCMO I am quite a fan of what they do there (I think hickory). Someone there told me in Texas they tended toward Mesquite. Like I said please correct me. Of course those are the possible traditional woods. Many others were prevalent at the plethora of establishments. I tried almost all of them.

Having said that: The KCMO BBQ is much like what was detailed above by utee, with the exception that it is served with lots of sauce, which I enjoy but prefer on the side.

I would give a finger from my left hand for some Pit Beans from The Martin City Smoke Stack.

First the ribs in that picture are second rate. They cooked in too high a heat and did not get to a high enough internal temperature.

Now for wood. Stay away from cherry. Mild fruit works, pear, peach, apple. For Oak you want white oak. In New England we have alot more red oak. Not the same flavor and not for BBQ. Maple, you want sugar Maple. Pecan is the beef wood unless you burn off the Mesquit in a separate fire and then use the coals. Charcoal made from hardwood works with some wood to make the smoke. I like mild woods for cold smoker fish, like salmon. But this is "smoking" not BBQ ing.

For pork the depth of the smoke ring is all about how long it's in the smoker and the temp. Too hot and it will seal up and you don't get a good ring. So set it out for get the chill off the inside then put it in the freezer for 10 minutes before putting in the smoke. Don't have enough time with Brisket to get a feeling for what's happening.

Ain't it the way. Someone types BBQ and all polite hell breaks out...

Had my first in the middle of nowhere in Texas on my way to San Angelo AFB. Stood on top of the car and couldn't see anything in any direction. Down the road a ways a shack on the side of the road. Wouldn't sell us any because it was only on one day and an not ready. Gave us a taste. This old fellow had a four foot high, 3 deep and 6 wide medal box with a lid. The "fire" was on the bottom of the box. Then a shelf with a tray of water over the fire with about six inches space all around. Then a rack with the beef. The round ones are "modern", post steal pipe production. It troubled him to open it up but see how we were defending america he made a exception. Cann't imagine what it would have been like when done. I asked him what else he could cook on his grill and he was polite enough to just say "why would I want to do that"....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
We cook on Live Oak primarily here in Central Texas. It's everywhere, one of the few trees that can really take the extremes from drought to flood and from (a few) freezing days to 110+. But hicory/pecan is pretty common too, and tasty. Apple is a rare treat.

Mesquite is one of those woods you can burn down to coals, and then use that to BBQ. But, that takes a lot more work and doesn't taste any better IMO.

Like I always say, people seem to try to make BBQ mysterious and complicated. There's no need for it to be. I consider brisket to be a frighteningly easy cut of meat to cook-- it just takes time. An untrimmed ("packer trimmed") brisket is a perfectly proportioned package of fat, connective tissue, and muscle, just made to withstand a long smoking time and remain moist, tender, and delicious. Lots of people do a lot of things, but really all you need is some salt and pepper, and some smoke at 225, for as long as it takes.

Anyway, all of this talk has made me decide to smoke some brisket this weekend. I'll probably do some ribs and pork tenderloin too. Sunday is my wife's birthday, and she's always delighted when I decide to make her some BBQ. Plus, it's been a while since I sat around all day drinking beer and "tending the fire."
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
U-Turn

Marcus,

Boy, we're caught between two good events. We won't make it back in time to New England. Can we u-turn from Arkansas for the brisket?

Actually, we're meeting Mr. and Mrs. modarch this weekend in Memphis and they claim to have better bar-b-que than Texas. It will be hard to beat Austin's Green Mesquite.

Once we're back in Connecticut, we have to catch up with TAC NE.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Marcus,

Boy, we're caught between two good events. We won't make it back in time to New England. Can we u-turn from Arkansas for the brisket?

Actually, we're meeting Mr. and Mrs. modarch this weekend in Memphis and they claim to have better bar-b-que than Texas. It will be hard to beat Austin's Green Mesquite.

John
I didn't think they made BBQ in memphis. But they do smoke some pork
Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #105
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
I didn't think they made BBQ in memphis.
You bess be packin' son.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #106
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Marcus,

John
That is my favorite Austin Resturant. We met the owner at the Capitol one day and he sent us to his "joint" for lunch. The Green Mesquite has been a destination every time I go to Austin.

Just a little FWI... when they claim to better than Texas BBQ, they are already admitting that Texas style is the best.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #107
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post

Now for wood. Stay away from cherry. Mild fruit works, pear, peach, apple. For Oak you want white oak.
Paul, I am going to venture to say you need to put a turkey in that smoker with some cherry. My Father has done this two Thanksgivings now and the taste is a PERFECT 11.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Heh, I knew it would get chippy around here when a BBQ discussion broke out...

John-- I wish you and your lovely bride could stop by, you'd be more than welcome. I've had Memphis ribs and they are excellent, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

But, it ain't brisket...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Paul, I am going to venture to say you need to put a turkey in that smoker with some cherry. My Father has done this two Thanksgivings now and the taste is a PERFECT 11.
I haven't had an oven-roasted turkey at Thanksgiving in maybe a couple of decades. We always have two turkeys at Thanksgiving-- one is BBQ'd, and the other deep fried. I love them both, but it's tough to beat slow-smoked turkey. My Dad is an expert, I only have a couple of true specialties, but my Dad can BBQ anything. We owned a BBQ restaurant for many years when I was growing up, and he became a BBQ Master no doubt.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #110
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
We are all packed and ready to hit the road. We are just waiting to send Ava to school and be marked as present, then an hour later take her out to go to a "Doctors appointment"...

Have brisket, have bacon, have scrapple, and a serious itchy foot.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #111
Certifiable

. , .
Need anything from Penzy's? I ran out of smoked paprika last night.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #112
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Need anything from Penzy's? I ran out of smoked paprika last night.

We have plenty...... when do you need it? Also, the shop is just up thr road from the office if you need us to stop this afternoon.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #113
Certifiable

. , .
Thanks.
I'll be there when the doors open this morning.
But I'd be happy to hold off if folks want to check it out too.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #114
Certifiable

. , .
Cool Just sayin'

Quote:
We are all packed and ready to hit the road. We are just waiting to send Ava to school and be marked as present, then an hour later take her out to go to a "Doctors appointment"...

Have brisket, have bacon, have scrapple, and a serious itchy foot.
Your timing might actually pretty damn good to tackle your arch nemesis Frank. The devil's own bridge CAN be had at certain times..........

I know you've got an opinion Rick. What do you think of young Francis's chances today?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #115
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Your timing might actually pretty damn good to tackle your arch nemesis Frank. The devil's own bridge CAN be had at certain times..........

I know you've got an opinion Rick. What do you think of young Francis's chances today?

I assume you are talking about the Infamous GWB? Can't count the number of timies we have crossed that one. Heading north you MUST keep left for the upper level. Big fines for getting caught on the lower. Crossing northbound any time today will be fine. Just take it slow, road conditions are comparable to goat paths. Last count; 1,278 pot holes from the Jersey State Line to the canal bridge.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #116
Certifiable

. , .
Yea, I was just thinking about all the potholes. I haven't seen Stamford or Norwalk I95 lately. I assume it's chopped up there as usual? Crossing GWB after 3:30pm on a Friday is asking for trouble IMO.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #117
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Yea, I was just thinking about all the potholes. I haven't seen Stamford or Norwalk I95 lately. I assume it's chopped up there as usual? Crossing GWB after 3:30pm on a Friday is asking for trouble IMO.
North-bound should be a breeze. Just remember the UPPER LEVEL! Don't forget Don, Penzy's does NOT take American Express.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 03-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:

Did say some cann't do. Just not for newbee's. I suspect he uses chips and not sticks.... Smokin a whole turkey is prove there is a God. I stick to the mild woods ect for Duck.... and of course BEEF
Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Headed Out

We're heading out now and it looks like we will be bringing blue skies. I'll call Don for a landing clearance once we get closer to Easton. We'll see you in about 3.5 hours, the good Lord Willing and the Creek don't rise.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #120
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
.... in Memphis and they claim to have better bar-b-que than Texas. It will be hard to beat Austin's Green Mesquite.
I'm sure it's good but since BBQ was invented in KC I know it's better there.