Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Wink Caravan Separately

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Want to caravan? We are leaving Baltimore at 10am heading up 95 to the %&@#$@@$% Bridge....
Frank,
A caravan may be a little difficult, our departure time is still up in the air due to my wife's co-worker being off Friday for religious observations. It may be noon, it may be 3:00 PM or antyime in between. Plus we are going to take the Great Northern route...I78...I287...Tappan Zee...I95...etc...

So I guess we'll see you there. Please have a frosty adult beverage ready for me when I pull in.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Colin needed my key for the refrigerator access door. I had three keys but couldn't remember which one was for the access door, so I mailed him all three............... now we have none...............................
Don,
You were meaning to replace that lock any way, right???
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #63
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Don,
right, now you can have one key open them all. what's a few more man hours of labor and three locks after all of this....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #64
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Frank,
A caravan may be a little difficult, our departure time is still up in the air due to my wife's co-worker being off Friday for religious observations. It may be noon, it may be 3:00 PM or antyime in between. Plus we are going to take the Great Northern route...I78...I287...Tappan Zee...I95...etc...

So I guess we'll see you there. Please have a frosty adult beverage ready for me when I pull in.
I hopeyour wife is feeling okay on Friday. I would hate to see her come down with a bad stomach flu and not be able to go into work at all on friday.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #65
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch View Post
Will you be making any other interior changes?
Yes! Zolatone in some places, Marmoleum throughout and all of the plastics will be repaired and repainted. We'll still keep the CCD feel in the front. The earthquakes did a lot of cracking damage to the 70s plastics and they're being repaired/repainted as I write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Were on the East Coast can you get your AS leak tested?
Thanks,
Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
I'm thinking Marty's might be your best bet close by.
Good Luck!

Quote:
Please have a frosty adult beverage ready for me when I pull in.
I believe that can be arranged.

Quote:
Don,
Please see 62's quotes below. I couldn't have said it any better.

Quote:
right, now you can have one key open them all. what's a few more man hours of labor and three locks after all of this....
Quote:
I hopeyour wife is feeling okay on Friday. I would hate to see her come down with a bad stomach flu and not be able to go into work at all on friday.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
You're giving me ideas. Ideas are bad. They cost me money!

Nevermind the mention of Zolatone (my beloved loves Zolatone) and fixing cracking interior end caps...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #67
Certifiable

. , .
There is no more room at the Inn!
A sweet little Ruby has claimed the last spot.

If you're still interested in coming with your rig, I can make arrangements with some neighbors/friends close by who could accommodate you. It would be boondocking only. I would need to know quickly though, cuz none of my neighbors even know there will be a party this weekend!

The 1st neighbor I would be contacting is 3 houses down and owns a 100 acre Xmas tree farm. That's the closest place for me to take my dogs so they can blow off some steam. And it's only about a 5 minute walk to our house. Not a lot of flat land there, but not terrible either.

If you're NOT bringing your dream stream, I'll get you parked onsite no problem.

So, if you're coming with your rig, I need to know by 8 p.m. Eastern time... tonight!

Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #68
Certifiable

. , .
Not true!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
You're giving me ideas. Ideas are bad. They cost me money!
Some ideas are good, Mongo.

Here's an idea: Saturday @ 2 p.m., Easton, CT.
Hitch a ride with bigfoosball so you don't have to pay for gas!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #69
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Some ideas are good, Mongo.

Here's an idea: Saturday @ 2 p.m., Easton, CT.
Hitch a ride with bigfoosball so you don't have to pay for gas!
ooo FoosBall!!! nothing like it when drinking much ice cold beer.

I'm pretty sure our three homes are equidistant from each other.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #70
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
ooo FoosBall!!! nothing like it when drinking much ice cold beer.
Alas... no foosball here... never got the hang of it.... took too much time away from drinking much ice cold beer.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Thumbs up All Systems Are A Go

I got home today and pulled Katarina out of the orchard and parked her in the driveway next to Savannah. We got her all dewinterized, all systems checked out ok, got the interior set up, filled the fresh water tank, and we're ready to roll baby. Now all I have to do is give her a quick wash to get a winter's worth of grime off her.

My wife IS getting off at 11:30 so we should be on the road by noon!!! WAHOOO!!!
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #72
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
I'm thinking Marty's might be your best bet close by.
I think Colin Hyde recently acquired the Sealtech machine for his shop, so VT and Whirlaway can get leak testing there... I think it's a good practice annually for any trailer that gets used a lot, especially after a long winter of sitting.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #73
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
I think Colin Hyde recently acquired the Sealtech machine for his shop, so VT and Whirlaway can get leak testing there... I think it's a good practice annually for any trailer that gets used a lot, especially after a long winter of sitting.

I think we all know who paid for it...... Let's all thank Don C.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Would love too!!

Don,

Would love to show up.. but I'm heading overseas to the Persian Gulf in 2.5 weeks for 5 weeks...... so we're busy getting things taken care of before I depart. Busy, Busy.. stay warm... !! We'll be thinking of you all TACing it!

Rob
TAC NY-1
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #75
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
I think we all know who paid for it.......
Now THAT'S funny right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Don,

Would love to show up.. but I'm heading overseas to the Persian Gulf in 2.5 weeks for 5 weeks...... so we're busy getting things taken care of before I depart. Busy, Busy.. stay warm... !! We'll be thinking of you all TACing it!

Rob
TAC NY-1
We'll send a toast your way.
See you at the Bash!
Take care.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Would anyone like me to pick up a prime, full, untrimmed, brisket to put in that smoker? I will bring a few pounds of scrapple for sure guys. I will do my best to get that from the amish butcher but cannot promise...
Ribs and Butt and Brisket may be too much for the smoker in this weather. Guess we all have cabin fever. May do ribs Friday? Frank, if you can get me an extra one of those USDA Prime Full Untrimed Bad Boys I will gladly pay you on Friday....
Alternatively, a nice trimmed one would be appreciated if they have one and you make it there. You just cann't get great beef or real pork in NE without alot of exploring.

Looking like a party....

Jane just came by and said...
"Now look at what you have done.."[
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #77
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Paul, I went down to my butcher this morning. Unfortunately all of their slaughtering and butchering is done for the week. This normally does not present an issue except that with Passover time they went ahead and trimmed them. The fat cap is down to about 1/4" and the tri tip is gone. When I asked John where the tri tip went he just grinned. I have a just shy of ten pound brisket in the refer. I also picked up a full slab of BACON for breakfast. Tomorrow morning I will try and go up the Shrewsbury PA and get the Amish scrapple. Do not hold me to it, because if the weather is good I am working on a clients trailer... You might all have to settle for Rappa Scrapple. I was going to bring a 3lb block for Don and one for Paul. I will also have some for our breakfast. Anyone else in need?
I also have a large supply of Hatch New Mexico green chillies in the freezer. These are the real deal now, from Hatch and wood roasted. Anyone want me to bring a bag for them? Muy caliente... seriously, very spicy and flavorful.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
You should make some chile relleno with those Hatch green chiles. My Dad is from West Texas and that's the way he does it.

Too bad the brisket is trimmed, but you can still make decent BBQ with it. Just leave it on the smoker for only a few hours, somewhere between 3 and 5, and then pull it and wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil. At that point you can either put it back on the pit and finish it there, or alternatively finish it in the oven.

And Frank, if ribs are on the menu, you know my recommendation for cooking them. Be sure to take the Fiesta Pork Rub with you.

Wish I were there!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #79
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
You should make some chile relleno with those Hatch green chiles.
Mmmmm....... this could take us in a really cool direction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Wish I were there!
-Marcus
Wish you were too! You know you don't need your trailer for this one Marcus.... Just sayin'

Question: Are there major variations in Texas Q? I know KC, St. Louis, Memphis, NC, etc. But what about within the Republic itself?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Mmmmm....... this could take us in a really cool direction!

Wish you were too! You know you don't need your trailer for this one Marcus.... Just sayin'
I'd go it if I could, Don. I'd love to meet all of you in real life, and I've heard so much about what a wonderful person you are. You have a big fan club suffice to say. The timing for this one isn't great, and sadly the BASH falls on a week that my wife already planned a Mexico beach vacation for us (not that there's anything wrong with that ). But, one of these days in the near future, FOR SURE. I appreciate the warm invitation.

Quote:
Question: Are there major variations in Texas Q? I know KC, St. Louis, Memphis, NC, etc. But what about within the Republic itself?
There are some variations across the state, for example the eastern part of the state tends to be more like Southeastern BBQ (lots of pork), and the western part of the state is not really that much into BBQ at all, it's more into authentic Mexican, Tex-Mex, and New Mexican-style Mexican food.

But Central Texas is really considered to be the cradle of BBQ in the state, and down here, Brisket is King. BBQ down here is not a verb, it's not an activity around a grill, it's not a gathering of friends to eat hamburgers and hot dogs. Here in Central Texas, BBQ is a noun that refers to a style of food, cooked low and slow, using the smoke rather than the flame to cook the meat.

Like I said, Brisket is King, and when someone invites you over for some BBQ, the assumption is that brisket will be served. But we like to slow-smoke anything. Due to the large German influence in the region, sausage is a common meat to be smoked. And of course ribs. Beef ribs are common here, which makes sense because beef was always more plentiful in Texas than was pork, but personally I don't think there's any better rack of ribs than some slow-smoked, dry-rubbed, pork spare ribs.

It's also common to see smoked chicken, smoked turkey (this is what my family eats every Thanksgiving), pork tenderloin (I make a FANTASTIC smoked pork tender if I do say so myself), and also smoked pork chops and even smoked ribeye!

In general, there is no sauce applied to the meat during the cooking process, or for serving. Texans tend to say things like, "GOOD bbq doesn't NEED sauce" and I tend to agree with that sentiment. But sauce is usually available, and served on the side. Other traditional sides are potato salad, cole slaw, pinto beans, creamed corn, whole jalapenos, sliced onions, and white bread. You'll see many Texans making a quick half sandwich using a single piece of white bread, some slices of brisket, jalapenos, and sliced onions.

Oh, and for dessert, it's traditional to have banana pudding, but cobbler is often served as well.

Sorry for the dissertation, I tend to get wordy when I talk about BBQ...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote