Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #241
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
........ How far from the pad is KARS?
Google Earth puts it at about 10 -12 miles away from KARS.
It took about a minute for the sound to reach us.

Sorry you couldn't get here Rodney. With your camera skills,
it would have been interesting to see your pics. Maybe next time.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 02-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #242
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Rodney,

So sorry you were not there in person to see it, I only got to see one in my lifetime, it was pretty fabulous, I hope another opportunity comes up for you in the near future, I will put in my 2 cents for you anytime.....

cclarkego
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
We had the best time ever!! Laura, you are a very special person and should be commended for your wonderful job, WELL DONE!! We will remember the experience forever. Nice to meet for the first time other Airstreamers. We look forward to many other events with you all.

We just return to home and the internet. Time to catch up on things.

Bill and Janice (Airdreamers)
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #244
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
We are home and can easily say this was a great rally.

Laura did a super job as host, and we appreciated the backup hosts too, Lyle and Marge, for helping to extend our stay.

I shot a video of the launch from the dock, but still have to convert from mov to avi file. Will try to post when it is in the right format.
Thanks to all that made it a success.
Dave and Eileen
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #245
2 Rivet Member

Long Beach , Mississippi
Glad you all got to see the launch, it was great to meet all of you. Had to head to Disney Sunday, our grandson was getting too antsy to wait another day. We had a great time both places and finally made it home after a strong wind made our awning come loose, broke the latch. I think we just need to add an extra $1,000 per trip for repairs. Thanks Laura for everything!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #246
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks Laura, we know deep down that on your last work-site visit, you pulled all the strings to make the launch a sure thing for Monday morning.
Truthfully, it was a great rally. Not too large, certainly not too small. We met so many different folks from near and far, and we hope to remain in contact with several.

Best luck to you. Hope you will keep us informed of your activities, and don't forget to drop in if you are EVER in Vermont.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #247
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Greetings Shuttle & Airstream Enthusiasts!

Thank you all for joining in the Rally. We had a total of 19 trailers - a few folks couldn’t swing it and others were MIA. But I still think it was very successful rally and I am so glad everyone got power/water. I still can’t figure out why the Country Store personnel couldn’t have been more forthcoming about the overflow scenario… but I know a few of you experienced the same enthusiastic assistance. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am thankful for meeting so many neat people! I hope to keep in touch with you all.

I pulled Ophelia home yesterday in the rain. I can’t believe the weather we had –it didn’t feel like Florida and wasn’t really conducive to outdoor gatherings like I had anticipated. I have enough food to survive a couple months now; super bowl chili & nachos, breakfast biscuits and sweet rolls, dogs & burgers and chips out the ying-yang!

It was so much fun that I’ll try to plan another gathering before the end of the program. Maybe STS-132, launch of Atlantis, currently scheduled for May 14 at 2:28 pm? For now, I need to focus on my resume and working to find a new job! Yikes.

Muchas gracias to everyone!

airdreamers: loved your space shuttle – really added a *touch of class*
BDand TTs: thanks for the showing – beautiful work – now get back to cleaning restrooms!
DaveFL : thanks for helping me with my door latch – it was nice to meet you two
deauxrite: I’ll try to remember to *Just Keep Breathing* (now I get it)
fltlevel510: thanks so much for creating our logo – and for bring Tom & Millie with you!
frankandsue: sorry you missed the launch! I’ll be watching to see what my dad turns out of the Katrina pieces.
gr.austin: thanks for the leads on headhunters
Greg N Cindy: it was good to meet you and wish you all had been down south with us
halimer: enjoyed the trip to PAFB and thank you for getting my HW tank working (warm water is a luxury)!
jdalrymple: I’ll be watching Jerry Springer to see you and Jami
lylevg: thanks for coming all the way from CA and bringing in AIRForum early-birds – loved watching Flash Gordon
Ramble Can: sorry I missed you on Tuesday – thanks for figurin’ out my antenna mess, watching over my girls and the warm welcoming. Hope Jeff had a good b-day – and remembers it after Normans.
rtaylor537: glad you made it over from Frostproof – maybe I’ll make it over for a weekend visit
Sky: nice chair man – hope you two get to do some kayaking soon
Bandits: thanks for all the hospitality – I’m sorry now that I flaked out on super bowl – but enjoyed the cake
dmoore: wish I could have spent some time hearing about your trips
PhiDor: glad you made it on such short notice!
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #248
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Many Thanks!

Laura,
Wow! What a wonderful experience…When Lyle first found your invite to Airstreamers for the launch, I thought what a generous thing to do! ( Especially never putting together a rally before!) Little did I know that was only a small part of your generosity. Lyle and I want you to know how much we appreciate everything you did. Keeping track of everyone ,making sure the park could handle us, emailing updates and worrying about US! I must say though, my favorite highlight (aside from the launch itself!) was the pamphlet you put together. It was so thoughtfully done, a keepsake for sure! We hope that you will come to San Diego and we can share our beautiful city with you. Please keep us updated on your career search and your adventures. Our best wishes to you in everything you do…you deserve the very best!
To everyone who came to the Launch…..we had so much fun visiting and sharing stories with you. It was a great group and we look forward to a reunion in the future! Happy Trails to ALL!
Margie Van Gessel
BAB BMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #249
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Launch 2

For those of you who could not stick around for the launch of the Saturn rocket..it went off a day late, but it was very impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Launch2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	96021  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #250
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Shuttle Rally

Deauxrite,

Great photo! wish we could have stayed the extra day but was in a big hurry to get home and install the new bike rack. Went to West Marine and bought all stainless mounting bolt and washers - Shiny - and it works great. Hopefully we will get back to the space center in March for the next shuttle launch.

Cheers!
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #251
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Here is a pretty nice shot of the launch:

Waterway to Orbit - Photography by James Vernacotola

Old 03-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #252
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida

These pics in no way compare to the Sky presentation but for a novice, I don't think they are too bad! From 5+ miles, KARS campground.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #253
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Yes, nice shots airdreamers! Well done.

Another cool thing in the Vernacotla shot is, you can see were
the main engines are throttled down due to maximum dynamic
pressure. This happens about 26 seconds into the launch.
Otherwise, air pressure would crush the rocket like my forehead
crushes empty beer cans.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #254
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Hey Sky,

Don't you think that the freezing temps had any thing to do with the effects.

Thanks for the compliment!

We, the ones standing on the pier watching the launch were lucky to see it but frozen in place. Too bad the Shuttle didn't produce enough heat to help us out!!

Maybe we will see the next one in the warmth!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Hey guys... the March launch, STS-131, has been delayed to April 5. I still won't be able to make it but hoping a few of you get in. I'm praying for enough delays to keep me employed for another year or so!!!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #256
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Thank you all for joining in the Rally. We had a total of 19 trailers - a few folks couldn’t swing it and others were MIA. But I still think it was very successful rally and I am so glad everyone got power/water. I still can’t figure out why the Country Store personnel couldn’t have been more forthcoming about the overflow scenario… but I know a few of you experienced the same enthusiastic assistance. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am thankful for meeting so many neat people! I hope to keep in touch with you all.

I pulled Ophelia home yesterday in the rain. I can’t believe the weather we had –it didn’t feel like Florida and wasn’t really conducive to outdoor gatherings like I had anticipated. I have enough food to survive a couple months now; super bowl chili & nachos, breakfast biscuits and sweet rolls, dogs & burgers and chips out the ying-yang!

It was so much fun that I’ll try to plan another gathering before the end of the program. Maybe STS-132, launch of Atlantis, currently scheduled for May 14 at 2:28 pm? For now, I need to focus on my resume and working to find a new job! Yikes.

Muchas gracias to everyone!

airdreamers: loved your space shuttle – really added a *touch of class*
BDand TTs: thanks for the showing – beautiful work – now get back to cleaning restrooms!
DaveFL : thanks for helping me with my door latch – it was nice to meet you two
deauxrite: I’ll try to remember to *Just Keep Breathing* (now I get it)
fltlevel510: thanks so much for creating our logo – and for bring Tom & Millie with you!
frankandsue: sorry you missed the launch! I’ll be watching to see what my dad turns out of the Katrina pieces.
gr.austin: thanks for the leads on headhunters
Greg N Cindy: it was good to meet you and wish you all had been down south with us
halimer: enjoyed the trip to PAFB and thank you for getting my HW tank working (warm water is a luxury)!
jdalrymple: I’ll be watching Jerry Springer to see you and Jami
lylevg: thanks for coming all the way from CA and bringing in AIRForum early-birds – loved watching Flash Gordon
Ramble Can: sorry I missed you on Tuesday – thanks for figurin’ out my antenna mess, watching over my girls and the warm welcoming. Hope Jeff had a good b-day – and remembers it after Normans.
rtaylor537: glad you made it over from Frostproof – maybe I’ll make it over for a weekend visit
Sky: nice chair man – hope you two get to do some kayaking soon
Bandits: thanks for all the hospitality – I’m sorry now that I flaked out on super bowl – but enjoyed the cake
dmoore: wish I could have spent some time hearing about your trips
PhiDor: glad you made it on such short notice!

Laura,

I must say I didn't know you were a writer also, as well as being a great rally host! I just finished reading your article in the FL Unit news letter, great job! Hope to see you in warmer times, Airstreaming!!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #257
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Friend showed me this site, thought this group would also like it.

USATODAY.com feature
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #258
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
1) Thanks for the Link 2) More Launches?

DaveFL - that's a cool link - thanks for the information.

I think there are potentially two more launches scheduled for 2011 NASA - NASA's Shuttle and Rocket Launch Schedule anyone planning to attend?

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #259
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
We are planning on doing the Discovery launch.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #260
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
April.... Maybe

I don't think we can make the launch in February. But the April date may work out. If we decide to attend we'll post here to see if others are interesting in meeting.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, space coast