Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
I was able to come up with the attached template for name badges. However I do not have a printer. If anyone is interested, and has a printer, we can make these during the rally.

Ahhhh- thanks for that badge. Team Leader huh? Last time I had a badge it said "Laura - Always Late - Engineering". I don't know if it insinuated that I was late or my engineering. Ever since I sorta have an aversion to badges...

Laura

Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
4. Who can become a member? Anyone with a KSC or Military badge. Essentially, anyone who has a badge that will give them access to the Patrick Air Force Base.
SO -all retired military? I thought they were indicating only those who were assigned to PatrickAFB.

Did anyone clarity who qualifies as "official visitors of KSC"?

This would certainly be a great place to stay when I take my grandson. Wish I could make it next month but it won't be happening that soon.

Hope the Launch & Rally happens as planned, and everyone has a great time.

Carol

Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
SO -all retired military? I thought they were indicating only those who were assigned to PatrickAFB.

Did anyone clarity who qualifies as "official visitors of KSC"?

This would certainly be a great place to stay when I take my grandson. Wish I could make it next month but it won't be happening that soon.

Hope the Launch & Rally happens as planned, and everyone has a great time.

Carol
Since I'm not retired military - or active military - or a federal employee - I really don't know the answer to who can join. The park workers said that anyone who either has an active KSC badge or who can get onto the base (i.e. to use the base exchange at PAFB) can get a membership. I have no idea who all has access to such military base/exchange. I can get on base with my KSC badge (though I probably can't use the exchange). My ex-father-in-law is retired Air Force and his family used to go to the BX. I don't know why he had access to PAFB BX - because he is retired military, or more over because he is retired Air Force, or if it's because he was specifically stationed at PAFB. But, I'm hoping the folks who can gain access to the local base know who they are - right?

I believe that an official KSC visitor is a badged visitor. We have folks from our company who travel to KSC from Canada and JSC who are considered "visitors" and receive temporary badging. That badging gives them similar priviledges as a permanently badged person - with regard to access to non-controlled areas (like the gym).

I'll try to help where I can - but my personal experience is limited. After this exercise, maybe I'll be a bit better versed.

I anyone who is retired federal employee or retired military has a moment, maybe you could phone KARS (321-867-7967) and get a better understanding of the membership requirements. I've asked a number of times and have received the same response.

Carol - if I can, I may sponsor a future gathering for one of the other, few remaining, shuttle launches.

Laura
Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #102
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Thanks Janet!!! I've been watching the left column to see if the ad comes up but haven't seen it yet.
Laura

Keep looking you should see it.....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Long Beach , Mississippi
Keeping us hanging!

NASA Moves Forward Toward Feb. 7 Target Launch

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:06:44 PM CST

At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, launch officials at the Space Shuttle Program's Flight Readiness Review decided today to move forward with the targeted launch date of Feb. 7.

At the executive-level Flight Readiness Review meeting being held at Kennedy on Jan. 27, NASA managers will evaluate all activities and elements necessary for the safe and successful performance of shuttle mission operations -- from the prelaunch phase through post-landing. They also will examine the readiness of the space shuttle, flight crew and payloads to determine if everything is set to proceed with launch.

The official launch date will be set at the review and announced during a press briefing following the meeting.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Thanks for the update. You'd think I'd be used to this type of situation but, with the rally-like-gathering in the works, a whole new element has been added. I'd sure be sad if everyone missed a launch after traveling to KSC. We'll have to make it fun regardless.

I messed up the Rally Calendar today and things seem to be going a little too crazy for me right now. I'm on pins & needles already.

Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankandsue View Post
Keeping us hanging!

NASA Moves Forward Toward Feb. 7 Target Launch

Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:06:44 PM CST

At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, launch officials at the Space Shuttle Program's Flight Readiness Review decided today to move forward with the targeted launch date of Feb. 7.

At the executive-level Flight Readiness Review meeting being held at Kennedy on Jan. 27, NASA managers will evaluate all activities and elements necessary for the safe and successful performance of shuttle mission operations -- from the prelaunch phase through post-landing. They also will examine the readiness of the space shuttle, flight crew and payloads to determine if everything is set to proceed with launch.

The official launch date will be set at the review and announced during a press briefing following the meeting.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
KARS update

I just got back from KARS. It now seems like the SOUTH group RV area will be the best for our group as the north area only has 27 sites - and there will likely be a few campers already in that area. The south area has up to 34 sites and KARS suggested that if we need more sites, they may permit *dry camping* in the field adjacent just north of the south group area. It's probably close enought to daisy-chain a few trailers. Also, most of their riverfront sites are currently closed due to lack of power. If they're still in disrepair by our trip, they'll considering allowing us to dry camping there. All dry camping/boon-docking will be $10! So, it doesn't seem they're too awfully worried about my bringing in a lot of guest trailers! When I said there would be about 25 trailers, no eyebrows were raised nor caution about the max number of guests allowed! However, this employee mentioned that Feb/March are the busiest. She thought we might end up splitting up throughout the park, which is probably no futher than 400 yards apart at best. There were more trailers in there than I expected - maybe 15.

I took some pics but just realized I don't have my camera cable with me today. Will add them tomorrow.

Laura
Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
KARS 1 detailed site map

Here's a more detailed map of where I think we should try to gather - the (what I'm coining as) South Group Area!

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KARS1 detail.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	94432  
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

Long Beach , Mississippi
Maybe the person who was going in on Thursday could kinda stake out our area. If not it will still be fine. Hubby would tell that I do get a little grumpy without the creature comforts but I'll manage if I have to
Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Great job Laura! Look forward to a good time!

We're getting excited for our first rally!!

Bill and Jan
Old 01-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Additional MEMBERSHIP Information

Quote:
The park workers said that anyone who either has an active KSC badge or who can get onto the base (i.e. to use the base exchange at PAFB) can get a membership. I have no idea who all has access to such military base/exchange.
and:
I anyone who is retired federal employee or retired military has a moment, maybe you could phone KARS (321-867-7967) and get a better understanding of the membership requirements. I've asked a number of times and have received the same response.
I was able to call late this afternoon and she told me basically the same thing. I asked if it applied to all retired military and she said anyone who can get into Patrick Air Force Base (PAFB)can become a member. Evidently there has been confusion in the past with people thinking they could become members based upon military service alone. So they say anyone who can get into PAFB can become a member. Unless there is an issue at Patrick that is different than other military bases then all retired military should be able to become members. I will try to call PAFB tomorrow and see if I can verify this.

So - this is my current understanding of who would meet membership requirements:

All Current & Retired NASA/KSC/Patrick Air Force Base (PAFB), military, civil, contract employees - YES YES YES

All RETIRED Military - Probably

All Current Military/non-PAFB - Probably

All RETIRED Civil Service /Federal Employees - NO NO NO
ONLY retired civil employees of NASA, KSC, and PAFB

Carol
Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Pics of South Camping Area

Here's some pictures that I took of the area I propose we gather (see post #106 for a map of the area).

sites 61-75 are in a field to the left of the sideroad (to the left of the bathrooms)

sites 39-44 are to the right of the sideroad, situated between (behind) the bathrooms and the American Legion building

sites 45-60 are in a field to the right of the sideroad, situated behing the American Legion/Country store building

overflow/dry-camp/boondocking is a field adjacent/north to sites 45-60

Laura (who maybe went maybe a little too far with the added text )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sites 61-75.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	94481   Click image for larger version

Name:	sites 39-44.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	94482  

Name:	sites 45-60.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	94483   Click image for larger version

Name:	sites 45-60 overflow_dry camp_pic3.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	94484  

Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Membership Ino

Thanks for the info Carol. I hope there all retirees from the various branches of the military receive the same *retirement privileges*. I'm not certain I understand the differences - but I am surprised by how *gray* this area seems to be ....
Laura
Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

Long Beach , Mississippi
Thanks Laura, from one anal retentive person to another. Hey isn't that Super Bowl Weedend, who is bringing the 60 inch screen?

Tags
rally, space coast