Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #29
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Just checked calendar, Feb 7 is Saturday, what is the average delay time for launches or is it all or non on date and time to gather. Being retired we can stock extra food and clothes and it would be easy to extend stay, but can the group be accomodated beyond the planned weekend?
Delays.... well, it all depends. Usually, if there's a small snafu (easily solved problem or weather), they can try again the following day. But, I believe they can only do that once - then they have to recycle a couple days. But, if the problem is greater --- no way to determine the delay. And, sometimes there is a range conflict if another launch vehicle has priority. Though I don't see any other vehicle launches in the Feb timeframe.

KARS is located just a few miles from general stores - major grocers, box stores, malls, movies, restaurants. And KARS does have a laundry. So if you haven't the room for extra food/clothes, you should be okay if the delay is a couple days.

I've never experienced a *full house* at KARS. There should not be any problem extending a visit. I think there is a max stay - but it's something like 3 weeks. The limitation for extension is that the active Member sponsoring the visit must be present. If I have to leave, then my guests would be required to leave. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Maybe someone else who is planning to come could also join as a member - as it's open to retired military as well... ????

Laura
__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master
 
airdreamers's Avatar
 
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 645
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Do you folks stay at the Royal Coachman in Nokomis! Very nice albeit a little pricy for a short stay!


We stayed there a few times with our last trailer but have not been there since we got the AS last Fall - went to California with it last winter.

This winter we will be heading for Louisiana, then florida. Not sure if we will get down to Nokomis/Venice or not on this trip, but sure do like that area!


Are there other nice campgrounds around Nokomis? We have only ever stayed at the Royal Coachman. Nice as it is, it is perhaps a bit spendy for us, as we don't tend to use the great pool and facilities that much - we are away most of the time and only back at dinner time!
Wingeezer,

We love it here in Nokomis/Venice. As far as camping, there is Oscar Sherer State Park on 41 in Osprey, Ramblers Rest River Road in Venice, and Encore in Nokomis on Laurel Road. (We are a minute away from Encore).

We are going to try to make the trip for the launch, should be great!

I wish we had courtesy parking here but we are limited in what we could do here.

Bill
__________________

__________________
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
airdreamers's Avatar
 
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 645
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Delays.... well, it all depends. Usually, if there's a small snafu (easily solved problem or weather), they can try again the following day. But, I believe they can only do that once - then they have to recycle a couple days. But, if the problem is greater --- no way to determine the delay. And, sometimes there is a range conflict if another launch vehicle has priority. Though I don't see any other vehicle launches in the Feb timeframe.

KARS is located just a few miles from general stores - major grocers, box stores, malls, movies, restaurants. And KARS does have a laundry. So if you haven't the room for extra food/clothes, you should be okay if the delay is a couple days.

I've never experienced a *full house* at KARS. There should not be any problem extending a visit. I think there is a max stay - but it's something like 3 weeks. The limitation for extension is that the active Member sponsoring the visit must be present. If I have to leave, then my guests would be required to leave. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Maybe someone else who is planning to come could also join as a member - as it's open to retired military as well... ????

Laura

Laura,

We would love to attend Feb 7 launch, arrive Feb 6, leave Feb 8, Hows that sound? I read that a member can have 10 guests. Are you going to form a list of commitments from us or what? Sounds like a great idea on your part!
It seems that we are about 3+ hours from here, not to bad. This would be our firt Rally!!

Bill
__________________
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member
 
fltlevel510's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 334
Shuttle Launch Rally

Funkill,

We can attend both the February and March Rally. Please add us to your list.
__________________
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Laura,

We would love to attend Feb 7 launch, arrive Feb 6, leave Feb 8, Hows that sound? I read that a member can have 10 guests. Are you going to form a list of commitments from us or what? Sounds like a great idea on your part!
It seems that we are about 3+ hours from here, not to bad. This would be our firt Rally!!

Bill

If all works out well, I'll tow my TT to KARS Friday morning before work, then go back home, get my fur-kids) and return. That'll allow me to get a few things together before ya'll get there. WARNING: I am not an experienced host - not at all!

Previously I was told that I can sponsor an "organized group" (our Airforums RV Club ) which allows for more sites. I'll have to verify that option still exists as their website info is fairly contradictory in the various links. The KARS website is fairly out of date so everything needs to be verified verbally. And the single person in charge alsways seems to be somewhat difficult to reach.

I will have to get a list of commitments in advance - just so that your names are with the guard at time of entry. If someone doesn't make it, no problems. I'll start collecting that info now and verify closer to date.
Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #34
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
hey 'kill...

is this feb 2010?

as in 1 month from now?

the weekend dates of.... 02.05.2010-02.08-2010 ???

hot damn count me with the rocket watchers !

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
airdreamers's Avatar
 
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 645
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
If all works out well, I'll tow my TT to KARS Friday morning before work, then go back home, get my fur-kids) and return. That'll allow me to get a few things together before ya'll get there. WARNING: I am not an experienced host - not at all!

Previously I was told that I can sponsor an "organized group" (our Airforums RV Club ) which allows for more sites. I'll have to verify that option still exists as their website info is fairly contradictory in the various links. The KARS website is fairly out of date so everything needs to be verified verbally. And the single person in charge alsways seems to be somewhat difficult to reach.

I will have to get a list of commitments in advance - just so that your names are with the guard at time of entry. If someone doesn't make it, no problems. I'll start collecting that info now and verify closer to date.
Laura
Laura, I would like to commit to arriving 2/6 Sat. Mid-day leaving 2/8 Mon.
What do we do reserve our own spot? Since you will be our leader, lead the way and we will follow!! We are looking forward to this, our first Rally!

Thanks,

Bill
__________________
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hey 'kill...

is this feb 2010?

as in 1 month from now?

the weekend dates of.... 02.05.2010-02.08-2010 ???

hot damn count me with the rocket watchers !

cheers
2air'
You got it! Can't wait to meet cha'.

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Laura, I would like to commit to arriving 2/6 Sat. Mid-day leaving 2/8 Mon.
What do we do reserve our own spot? Since you will be our leader, lead the way and we will follow!! We are looking forward to this, our first Rally!

Thanks,

Bill
Hey Bill - my first rally too!

They don't take reservations but there's a couple group areas in the park in addition to the riverfront sites. The park is fairly small - so we can probably just choose our own sites upon arrival. I'll probably choose to set up in one of the group areas. One group site is located behind all the small buildings (i.e. not the best window views) but is close to the restrooms. The other area is much prettier - but kinda far to the restrooms. Hummmmmmm I guess for a weekend and most of us having our own potties, it isn't such a big deal to be *on top* of the bathrooms.

I'll try to get over to the park during lunch time soon and take a couple pic of the areas - maybe we can take a vote on where to park-it!

Laura
__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master
 
airdreamers's Avatar
 
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 645
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Hey Bill - my first rally too!

They don't take reservations but there's a couple group areas in the park in addition to the riverfront sites. The park is fairly small - so we can probably just choose our own sites upon arrival. I'll probably choose to set up in one of the group areas. One group site is located behind all the small buildings (i.e. not the best window views) but is close to the restrooms. The other area is much prettier - but kinda far to the restrooms. Hummmmmmm I guess for a weekend and most of us having our own potties, it isn't such a big deal to be *on top* of the bathrooms.

I'll try to get over to the park during lunch time soon and take a couple pic of the areas - maybe we can take a vote on where to park-it!

Laura
Laura,

Your assumption is right about the potties, you make the call we are in your capable hands "leader".

Bill
__________________
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #39
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
cool!

i vote for better views over toilets.

u can use mine IF need be.

b.y.o.t.p

pics are a great idea and any sort of basic schedule like...

-when we can arrive
-how long we can stay
-basic launch schedule and where we need to go
-this is water/electric hook ups right?
-i assume this place is big rig friendly?

-beverage hour and pot luck can happen naturally, without 3 back up plans.

-do we need tin foil hats and goggles...

and here's a though to ponder...

do advanced civilizations in outerspace view this as an alien launch?

rock on and blast off, YEEEHAW!

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
DaveFL's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,478
Images: 15
Almost any site will do us, but of course a view is always better. We will plan to arrive Friday afternoon and leave Mon. Sounds like a lot of virgin ralliers, us included, so no expectations or comparisons can be made. A lot easier than a raftup of boats, no strategic anchor placement.
__________________
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member
 
fltlevel510's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 334
Rally Caravan

Anyone want to caravan to the Shuttle Rally? We are currently in Sarasota, I notice Airdreamer is in Nokomis just down the road. Don't know where everyone else is but may be able to meet up along the way.
__________________
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #42
Rivet Master
 
airdreamers's Avatar
 
1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 645
Images: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltlevel510 View Post
Anyone want to caravan to the Shuttle Rally? We are currently in Sarasota, I notice Airdreamer is in Nokomis just down the road. Don't know where everyone else is but may be able to meet up along the way.
We think it is a great idea to caravan. We just have to coordinate a meet up, day, time etc. We were looking to leave on the 2/6, return on the 8th??

Bill and Janice
__________________

__________________
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rally, space coast


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Campgrounds for viewing a shuttle launch lakelady On The Road... 7 08-23-2009 10:38 AM
NWS : Confined Space Rally campcollector Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 82 09-20-2008 05:41 PM
Endeavour Launch chaimemet On The Road... 5 08-09-2007 08:30 PM
Shuttle launch rally Melody Ranch Forum Rallies & Meet Ups 27 06-12-2007 09:09 PM
Space Shuttle Launch parking starflyte1 On The Road... 10 05-17-2007 11:28 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.