Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Wow - so many folks from other states!!! So cool.

I'm way more whimpy than Mary; I grimmace at any trip that's over 300 miles away. I better toughen up.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post

I'm way more whimpy than Mary; I grimmace at any trip that's over 300 miles away. I better toughen up.

Laura
Laura, looks like you have got rally on your hands! I love it when a plan comes together! Or maybe just organized confusion, which I prefer.
If we can help, let us know!
Joe
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:

Laura
Laura,

All this time I had you pegged as the adventurous type .

I hope you didn't read my post assuming I was coming. I was responding only to the great rally it would be, and that we couldn't come for more reasons than the mileage. That was 2,539 miles one way, and 5,078 round-trip! About 2,000 miles round-trip has been our max so far.

Y'all will have to post photos of the launch for those of us who can't be there.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Feb 4th launch.

Laura:
We hope you’re still planning on putting this event together (haven’t seen a post in a couple of months). We’ll be leaving San Diego on Jan 25th and hope to arrive on Feb 1st or 2nd. The KARS Park sounds like a great venue.
Tnx Lyle & Margie
BAB BMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Just checked, and according to the NASA Launch Schedule Endeavour will launch Feb. 7 at 4:39 am EST.
You'll have at least a few more days to enjoy the trip across the US. Also keep in mind that delays are frequent.
We hope to catch to launch also, but might be up the coast a bit.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Launchs on the 3rd and the 7th

Bob:

Thanks for the update, didn't know about the delay. Looks like we'll be able to see both a day and night launch. We knew about the launch on the on the 3rd, thus our goal to arrive on the 2nd, hope to see you there. Bring some samples of you work it looks awesome.

Tnx Lyle
BAB BMRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
At this time, looks good for planning a little *gathering* for the Feb launch. Boy, it's an early one though ... might just equate to a night launch at 4:30 am. However, a slip to mid week might give me a bit of a problem - due to needing to be at work. I'll give it some thought on how to work around that issue.
Laura
Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Just checked calendar, Feb 7 is Saturday, what is the average delay time for launches or is it all or non on date and time to gather. Being retired we can stock extra food and clothes and it would be easy to extend stay, but can the group be accomodated beyond the planned weekend?
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Just checked calendar, Feb 7 is Saturday, what is the average delay time for launches or is it all or non on date and time to gather. Being retired we can stock extra food and clothes and it would be easy to extend stay, but can the group be accomodated beyond the planned weekend?
Delays.... well, it all depends. Usually, if there's a small snafu (easily solved problem or weather), they can try again the following day. But, I believe they can only do that once - then they have to recycle a couple days. But, if the problem is greater --- no way to determine the delay. And, sometimes there is a range conflict if another launch vehicle has priority. Though I don't see any other vehicle launches in the Feb timeframe.

KARS is located just a few miles from general stores - major grocers, box stores, malls, movies, restaurants. And KARS does have a laundry. So if you haven't the room for extra food/clothes, you should be okay if the delay is a couple days.

I've never experienced a *full house* at KARS. There should not be any problem extending a visit. I think there is a max stay - but it's something like 3 weeks. The limitation for extension is that the active Member sponsoring the visit must be present. If I have to leave, then my guests would be required to leave. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Maybe someone else who is planning to come could also join as a member - as it's open to retired military as well... ????

Laura
Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Do you folks stay at the Royal Coachman in Nokomis! Very nice albeit a little pricy for a short stay!

We stayed there a few times with our last trailer but have not been there since we got the AS last Fall - went to California with it last winter.

This winter we will be heading for Louisiana, then florida. Not sure if we will get down to Nokomis/Venice or not on this trip, but sure do like that area!

Are there other nice campgrounds around Nokomis? We have only ever stayed at the Royal Coachman. Nice as it is, it is perhaps a bit spendy for us, as we don't tend to use the great pool and facilities that much - we are away most of the time and only back at dinner time!
Wingeezer,

We love it here in Nokomis/Venice. As far as camping, there is Oscar Sherer State Park on 41 in Osprey, Ramblers Rest River Road in Venice, and Encore in Nokomis on Laurel Road. (We are a minute away from Encore).

We are going to try to make the trip for the launch, should be great!

I wish we had courtesy parking here but we are limited in what we could do here.

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Quote:
Delays.... well, it all depends. Usually, if there's a small snafu (easily solved problem or weather), they can try again the following day. But, I believe they can only do that once - then they have to recycle a couple days. But, if the problem is greater --- no way to determine the delay. And, sometimes there is a range conflict if another launch vehicle has priority. Though I don't see any other vehicle launches in the Feb timeframe.

KARS is located just a few miles from general stores - major grocers, box stores, malls, movies, restaurants. And KARS does have a laundry. So if you haven't the room for extra food/clothes, you should be okay if the delay is a couple days.

I've never experienced a *full house* at KARS. There should not be any problem extending a visit. I think there is a max stay - but it's something like 3 weeks. The limitation for extension is that the active Member sponsoring the visit must be present. If I have to leave, then my guests would be required to leave. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Maybe someone else who is planning to come could also join as a member - as it's open to retired military as well... ????

Laura

Laura,

We would love to attend Feb 7 launch, arrive Feb 6, leave Feb 8, Hows that sound? I read that a member can have 10 guests. Are you going to form a list of commitments from us or what? Sounds like a great idea on your part!
It seems that we are about 3+ hours from here, not to bad. This would be our firt Rally!!

Bill
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Shuttle Launch Rally

Funkill,

We can attend both the February and March Rally. Please add us to your list.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Laura,

We would love to attend Feb 7 launch, arrive Feb 6, leave Feb 8, Hows that sound? I read that a member can have 10 guests. Are you going to form a list of commitments from us or what? Sounds like a great idea on your part!
It seems that we are about 3+ hours from here, not to bad. This would be our firt Rally!!

Bill

If all works out well, I'll tow my TT to KARS Friday morning before work, then go back home, get my fur-kids) and return. That'll allow me to get a few things together before ya'll get there. WARNING: I am not an experienced host - not at all!

Previously I was told that I can sponsor an "organized group" (our Airforums RV Club ) which allows for more sites. I'll have to verify that option still exists as their website info is fairly contradictory in the various links. The KARS website is fairly out of date so everything needs to be verified verbally. And the single person in charge alsways seems to be somewhat difficult to reach.

I will have to get a list of commitments in advance - just so that your names are with the guard at time of entry. If someone doesn't make it, no problems. I'll start collecting that info now and verify closer to date.
Laura
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #34
_

. , .
hey 'kill...

is this feb 2010?

as in 1 month from now?

the weekend dates of.... 02.05.2010-02.08-2010 ???

hot damn count me with the rocket watchers !

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Quote:
If all works out well, I'll tow my TT to KARS Friday morning before work, then go back home, get my fur-kids) and return. That'll allow me to get a few things together before ya'll get there. WARNING: I am not an experienced host - not at all!

Previously I was told that I can sponsor an "organized group" (our Airforums RV Club ) which allows for more sites. I'll have to verify that option still exists as their website info is fairly contradictory in the various links. The KARS website is fairly out of date so everything needs to be verified verbally. And the single person in charge alsways seems to be somewhat difficult to reach.

I will have to get a list of commitments in advance - just so that your names are with the guard at time of entry. If someone doesn't make it, no problems. I'll start collecting that info now and verify closer to date.
Laura
Laura, I would like to commit to arriving 2/6 Sat. Mid-day leaving 2/8 Mon.
What do we do reserve our own spot? Since you will be our leader, lead the way and we will follow!! We are looking forward to this, our first Rally!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hey 'kill...

is this feb 2010?

as in 1 month from now?

the weekend dates of.... 02.05.2010-02.08-2010 ???

hot damn count me with the rocket watchers !

cheers
2air'
You got it! Can't wait to meet cha'.

Laura
Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Laura, I would like to commit to arriving 2/6 Sat. Mid-day leaving 2/8 Mon.
What do we do reserve our own spot? Since you will be our leader, lead the way and we will follow!! We are looking forward to this, our first Rally!

Thanks,

Bill
Hey Bill - my first rally too!

They don't take reservations but there's a couple group areas in the park in addition to the riverfront sites. The park is fairly small - so we can probably just choose our own sites upon arrival. I'll probably choose to set up in one of the group areas. One group site is located behind all the small buildings (i.e. not the best window views) but is close to the restrooms. The other area is much prettier - but kinda far to the restrooms. Hummmmmmm I guess for a weekend and most of us having our own potties, it isn't such a big deal to be *on top* of the bathrooms.

I'll try to get over to the park during lunch time soon and take a couple pic of the areas - maybe we can take a vote on where to park-it!

Laura
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Quote:
Hey Bill - my first rally too!

They don't take reservations but there's a couple group areas in the park in addition to the riverfront sites. The park is fairly small - so we can probably just choose our own sites upon arrival. I'll probably choose to set up in one of the group areas. One group site is located behind all the small buildings (i.e. not the best window views) but is close to the restrooms. The other area is much prettier - but kinda far to the restrooms. Hummmmmmm I guess for a weekend and most of us having our own potties, it isn't such a big deal to be *on top* of the bathrooms.

I'll try to get over to the park during lunch time soon and take a couple pic of the areas - maybe we can take a vote on where to park-it!

Laura
Laura,

Your assumption is right about the potties, you make the call we are in your capable hands "leader".

Bill
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #39
_

. , .
cool!

i vote for better views over toilets.

u can use mine IF need be.

b.y.o.t.p

pics are a great idea and any sort of basic schedule like...

-when we can arrive
-how long we can stay
-basic launch schedule and where we need to go
-this is water/electric hook ups right?
-i assume this place is big rig friendly?

-beverage hour and pot luck can happen naturally, without 3 back up plans.

-do we need tin foil hats and goggles...

and here's a though to ponder...

do advanced civilizations in outerspace view this as an alien launch?

rock on and blast off, YEEEHAW!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Almost any site will do us, but of course a view is always better. We will plan to arrive Friday afternoon and leave Mon. Sounds like a lot of virgin ralliers, us included, so no expectations or comparisons can be made. A lot easier than a raftup of boats, no strategic anchor placement.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally, space coast