Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Show America - Use YOUR Airstream Weekend

I originally posted this thought on HIHOAGRV's head for the hills thread and it occurred to me that not everyone would possibly read it. The more I think about it I think we should consider it.

So, here's the suggestion with the surrounding thought:

I believe we all love seeing an Airstream hauling down the road, coming or going, it doesn't matter. It's my belief that because we see so few of them it does make the sighting even that much more exciting, and then the anticipation of seeing another one and the usual long wait. I even get excited seeing one in the driveway or yard of a house and often they are not even being used, just sitting and waiting and waiting and waiting to go do what they do best.

Anyway, it is fun to watch for our fellow Airstreamers, and even more fun to know they are probably looking at us with similar thoughts - holy cow, another one actually being used.

Can you imagine what it would be like if all 20,000 plus members of this Forum made a commitment to get out and camp on the same weekend, any where they wish, at least once a year. So every one of us, or the vast majority who have functioning and tow-able trailers, would do our best to tow our trailer somewhere on Airstream weekend. We would certainly make a statement all over NA that there really are a lot of Airstreams out there. So whether it's individually with your family or yourself, or with some others and to a rally or whatever, you go find that campsite and give the world some visibility into the large number of us that have this illness.

Then post pictures on the Forum of your weekend and share the experience and what others said with the rest of us in the weeks following. What a lot of fun. Any time we meet people at gas stations, in the campgrounds, etc. we tell them it's Use your Airstream Weekend all over NA or Globally, or what ever. Just a thought.

Perhaps JC would even host a weekend tour for those who would want to tow their trailer there. Airstream dealers could hold open houses on Airstream Weekend, taking advantage of all the Airstreams on the road and in campgrounds - this is the stuff local newspapers and TV stations love. Or it could be just that a whole lot of us make the decision and whether it's to a region rally or your local campground, you are out celebrating your Airstream and using it for what it was intended and telling anyone who asks.

Just a thought - but I'm in. I'll make sure I have mine out on the road and in a campground on whatever weekend others might be able to make work. Here's a weekend to actually share in the celebration with your Airstream peers.

Barry
Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
This sound like a great idea. I have used mine every other weekend, since its rebirth in December of 2007.

I have to agree with you, my wife and I get excited when we see other Airstream coming and going, flashing lights, trying to wave. We are kinda like you, we think every time we use our baby, it's a Airstream weekend. I say lets set a date or even for this matter weekends.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Great idea, I'm in too!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm in, even if it means hooking up and towing around town.

Great idea
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
We have the same thing for British cars (except it's a week). It's a great idea, Barry, and needs to be publicized!

Okay... who's gonna pick the weekend?

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Great idea!

I'm in! Have Airstream, will travel...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Perhaps JC would even host a weekend tour for those who would want to tow their trailer there. Airstream dealers could hold open houses on Airstream Weekend, taking advantage of all the Airstreams on the road and in campgrounds - this is the stuff local newspapers and TV stations love. Or it could be just that a whole lot of us make the decision and whether it's to a region rally or your local campground, you are out celebrating your Airstream and using it for what it was intended and telling anyone who asks.

Just a thought - but I'm in. I'll make sure I have mine out on the road and in a campground on whatever weekend others might be able to make work. Here's a weekend to actually share in the celebration with your Airstream peers.

Barry
I really like this. It's a marketing gem. You ought to see if you can get to someone up at Jackson Center to talk about this. This has all the earmarkings of a great promo, and who knows you might be see Airstream and the local dealers putting a little PR $$ behind this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Glad the idea seems reasonable. When I had the Corvette I always drove it to work on drive your Corvette to work day, a date initiated by one of the larger parts/restoration vendors, and I know on that day I saw a lot of others doing the same. It was fun.

Is there a significant date in Airstreaming world that fits? Wally's BD, or the date the first Airstream was purported to be manufactured, or Wally and Stella's anniversary or some date that would be fun to acknowledge as part of our Airstream heritage? Heck - what about the date the AirForums was started by Andy, if it's a warm date. For over 20,000 of us the Forums have been an inspiration and definitely worth celebrating.

The largest number of people to affect this live in the USA so is there a date that seems to work where a lot of people would be out camping already anyways? Then add the rest of us to the mix of getting out "somewhere" with our trailer to give it visibility and in our own way recording it in pictures and stories. This would also suggest that there would be a lot of currently non Airstream folks out as well to notice them and for us to have the largest impact.

Barry
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Is there a significant date in Airstreaming world that fits? Wally's BD, or the date the first Airstream was purported to be manufactured, or Wally and Stella's anniversary or some date that would be fun to acknowledge as part of our Airstream heritage? Barry
Barry,

Well if you are going to pick a suggested date, you might consider something other than the heat of summer. Personally I think the fall would be a great time for a couple of reasons. First the weather is usually more stable, less chance of rain, less chance of extreme heat. Secondly, if there was going to be some Airstream or dealer support, their business is on the downturn at that time of year and anything that could help move some trailers at season's end would be a real plus.

FYI, I did send a link to the original post to Airstream with a note letting them know that their support of an event like this could be a real marketing coup. Let's see if we get any response.....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Veterans' Day

Last night I read through the posts in the Vetersans Fall In thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...fall-7798.html

I was humbled and too moved to write anything at that time, promising myself I would come back to it and write a tribute to all the vets in my family. My father was a WWII vet, his father a WWI disabled vet (mustard gas), I married a vet and my children are veterans. I have an niece and nephew who are Air Force pilots, an Army nephew.

We have all the services covered except Coast Guard, and if I was younger and braver that's where I would serve. Who can forget their work in the aftermath of Katrina? And in Hawaii they flew over our beach regularly and we were thrilled to see them.

So I suggest we stream for the vets, flags proudly waving in the air. That would make a statement of solidarity to our countrymen and let us see each other as well. Just a thought...
(BTW thanks all you veterans, those gone and those still with us)
dijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I think a "Show Your Airstream Weekend" is a bueno idea! We'd do it! It oculd be a lot of fun...and you never know...we might run into each other at the campgrounds!

Silver Trails,
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying
I have used mine every other weekend, since its rebirth in December of 2007.
Really?
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thumbs up Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
... I think the fall would be a great time for a couple of reasons...
Jack
Plus most of us on the Gulf Coast still have our trailers loaded for escape from the Hurricanes
Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Certifiable

. , .
Kids are back in school in the Fall, and Halloween is the day before, but back on November 1st, 1948, Wally incorporated Airstream Trailer.

I like Veteran's Day too.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Is there a documented date for the first caravan? November could be a bit brutal for our northern cousins.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
When??

Does it get more Airstream than the 4th July??
Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Does it get more Airstream than the 4th July??
Wally's birthday and the last day of the WBCCI International Rally each year...already have 1000+ trailers out and about!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Wally's birthday and the last day of the WBCCI International Rally each year...already have 1000+ trailers out and about!

Shari
Is that a yep or a nope???
Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Is that a yep or a nope???
Just an observation...

Old 08-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Umm, isn't that what the "Airstream Homecoming" is? Have they even done that in the last couple of years?
At this point, I'm curious, as I haven't heard of "Homecoming 2007". If they haven't done this lately, is there a reason?