Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
The weather in all areas of the country(I am thinking USA and Canada here) is an issue no matter when we'd do this. I do like Wally's Birthday, and the fact that as noted there's already 1,000 Airstreams on the road and at a campground for the WBCCI. I believe the July 4th weekend date is very appropriate. This is all about the Airstreams and that all feeds back to Wally Byam, and it is a time when a lot of us would already be out regardless of where we live. Thanks for suggesting that date Shari , it is a good one and I believe the appropriate one.

Even if JC is doing a Homecoming then as well, there's literally thousands of us who can't make that event either. But we can sure go camping that weekend and spread the word not matter where we are. The important thing is this is not about WBCCI or JC, but about Airstreams and the fact that those of us who have them, and enjoy them, have chosen that particular weekend to get out and share the experience.

If JC is doing a Homecoming all the better for them, they can note that all across North America (and the world if those of you in other countries are joining in) people are out on this particular weekend celebrating their Airstreams. If the various dealers wanted to participate in their own way for their own area or customers all the power to them. I'd think for them this could be just as much fun as for the rest of us who are just going to find a campground and do what Airstreamers do best (or I think someone said they'd tow their Airstream through town - why not? Get it out and visible.).

I think it would be a lot of fun and I'm going to do it. If I can do it with some fellow Airstreamers all the better. If I can do it as well with my buddies and their SOB's and they see the level of enthusiasm thousands and thousands of people all over this continent have, on the same weekend, who knows, we may win some converts. If nothing else all that shine on the roads will make one heck of a statement. I'd like to think that on that weekend, no matter where you traveled in North America, you'd end up seeing some Airstreams on the road, in a campground, in front of someone's house, our a swack of them out flying the flags at dealerships.

By the way, this does not conflict with any other thing happening that weekend, any rally, WBCCI or JC's homecoming. They are all a part of it anyways. This just sets a tone across the continent. Lots of fun!

With regards to Veterans Day - I do very much appreciate that suggestion and understand the reasons for this. I agree, it is a time that deserves as much attention as we can give it. I would still, weather permitting, strongly urge those who can and wish to, to take the old silver out on Veterans Day to mark that event as well. IMHO, what I would not want to do is start anything to take away from the focus of Veterans Day. Regardless of which country we live in our veterans have and continue to fight for peace and justice and they deserve that day of recognition for themselves and their sacrifice. I am not sure I'd be comfortable proposing an "addition" to that day, in particular one where we are at the same time celebrating our chosen lifestyle.

Barry
Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Columbus Day is Cdn Thanksgiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Barry,
Personally I think the fall would be a great time for a couple of reasons.
Jack
How about Columbus Day weekend? That's Thanksgiving in Canada so many people in both countries get a long weekend. It's not in the heat of summer for those in the south, but usually not too cold in the north.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Gail and I are in and a day in October, November or Veteran's Day sounds good to us. In fact any day of the year is okay except the "Annual Ride to Work Day" (motorcycle) which was held on July 16th this year although I do ride every work day.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #24
Silver Lamb

1969 27' Overlander
1961 16' Bambi
Bonner Springs , Kansas
Safari57, that is a GREAT idea, Columbus Day weedend is a wonderful day weatherwise to do this. That day is known for a great discovery. It could be another "special" Airstream day. We're in! No one needs to convince me to travel in our Airstream. It is the aluminum itch!
EweMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
We're in... does that make it global

We will get as many other Airstream owners in the UK involved as we can by posting something on our website and forum

If any UK owners read this please contact us so that we can make some arrangements!

Can't wait............. wot a good idea

www.vintage-americana.co.uk

+44 (0)7984 662 532

Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Prefer Columbus Day

We'd prefer Columbus Day instead of July 4, camping in the spring and fall is the best!
Also remember that the 4th is probably the MOST popular camping holiday, reservations will need to be made well ahead of time and campgrounds will be packed.

See you down the road,
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I would strongly agree with the Columbus Day weekend. Remember that July 4th floats so it obviously would be better to attempt something that has a defined Monday holiday tied to it. That gives many folks 3 days. In many cases for a lot of us, this may be the last outing of the year so why not end it this way?

The only down side is the fact that this holiday is not a holiday for everyone, and the kids are back in school so I'm not sure if that is a holiday for them.

Most campgrounds have plenty of room at that time of year.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm in the "it's not a holiday for everyone" category. I'm not even sure when Columbus Day is...September I assume?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
The important thing is this is not about WBCCI or JC, but about Airstreams and the fact that those of us who have them, and enjoy them, have chosen that particular weekend to get out and share the experience...

Barry
I think that hits it on the head. We take notice of an Airstream when we see it, and it's very unusual to see more than one in any given time period. I can only imagine what it would be like to notice several over a weekend and the thoughts of the non-'streamers ("Whats going on? There everywhere!").
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I'm in the "it's not a holiday for everyone" category. I'm not even sure when Columbus Day is...September I assume?

Shari
Monday, October 8th is Columbus Day in the US and Thanksgiving Day in Canada.

Most campgrounds don't consider it a major holiday weekend, so you don't get roped into a 3 night guarantee. Those who are off on Monday will get a bonus day, potentially for travel. Those working will head out Sunday.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I would strongly agree with the Columbus Day weekend...

Most campgrounds have plenty of room at that time of year.

Jack
That make's it a perfect choice! Around here the holidays equate to full campgrounds so I avoid them (plus my A.D.D. tends to make me forget to make reservations... )
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Sounds good to us. We're in.

Units could plan rallies too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Barry,

That is one great idea. We are in, just pick the day.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Sounds good to me. If necessary I'll do a lap around the Washington, D.C. beltway. On second thought maybe I'll just get on I-66 and go West to Front Royal - Winchester and turn around and drive back home. There are fewer kooks out there and the roadway is much more straight.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #35
Certifiable

. , .
So even if the shell is "off" at the time, ya gotta at least take it around the block, right?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #36
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Airstream Day

Bob stopped Homecomming after the 2005 Homecomming. He said it was too much work and cost too much. (right from his lips)
I'm in, even thought I camp out 360 days a year.
Name a date and get with it.
Forget Airstream, it took them what two years too take the name Airstream forums away from Andy!!!! Great support.
Any three day weekend will help working people get out.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 PM   #37
Member Slide Out Society

2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Sounds like a terriffic idea...I'm in, too...just need a date. How 'bout we call it American Legend weekend... I bet Rich Luhr of Airstream Life would love to get this promoted...and all the individual units...I know my unit would support it..TGCU 103.

Rockwell
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
One thing - no matter when you have it, it won't conflict with other Airstream functions, they just become a subset.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #39
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
So even if the shell is "off" at the time, ya gotta at least take it around the block, right?
You and a friend could carry the shell around the block, kind of an unofficial "take your Airstream for a walk day".
Old 08-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Well. This is coming together nicely. Since the concept was to promote Airstream awareness among non-owners I was wondering what would have the most impact. Groups or individuals? I would be inclined toward the latter. I think we have been approached and questioned more when we’ve been out by ourselves than with a rally.
Imagine if we could put at least one Airstream in every state park, in every state, for a weekend. If you find another unit there maybe you’ve just found a new friend.
Maybe put a sign in the front window to let others know what’s going on, "International Airstream Weekend" or some such thing.
We’re be out for the Northern Illinois Gathering
http://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=361&day=2007-10-12&c=1 the weekend after Columbus Day. Back to back weekends seem like a good way to wind down the season.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote