Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Other Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Outrageous Rallies

Hi, once again I'm asking for your opinions. So far I have no experiences in these high dollar rallies so I would like to hear from you. Is this something for everyone or only for the rich and famous?
First, Redmond, Oregon: $339.00 2-adults, 4 nights, 30 Amp electrical hook-up. Live entertainment, RV products, new rigs, seminars, Etc. Etc. Etc. This seems like a lot of money to camp out, be entertained, and perswayed to buy their products. Are they going to feed us too? Doesn't say. Not to mention it would cost me about $600.00 in gas to get there and back. Now if you want to go to Nascar, move the decimal point over one notch, making it over $3,000.00 for one RV and two people. Has supply and demand caused these prices or are they really worth it?
Please help me and other forum members understand, What makes a weekend campout so expensive.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I guess you might expect pretty high prices for live entertainment (I assume it's not going to just be a guy doing a poetry reading) and full services. Might be at a pretty nice park too - fancy facilities cost more to camp at. I would hope they'd feed you for that price.

As for NASCAR, well, that's a whole nother country from up here.

All I know for sure is that the best rallys I've been at didn't cost any more than $20 a night plus a potluck dish and help do the dishes

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Sounds like an event type of thing with vendors entertainment etc. If this appeals to you it's probably worth it.

I'm happier at a $30.00 rally with potlucks and M-balls.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
No experience here with the big dollar events. I cant afford them and they dont appeal to me. I have been to a couple fourm rallies which can be fun. Having said that, there are some rallies that look fun but seem to cost a lot to a little guy like me. I won't name them in the interest of peace, but all the same camping shouldnt cost $50 and up a night in my opinion.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My experience is more hot rod/car function related with camping as part of the deal. This past weekend, Ferndale, WA three day event total cost $35

Included:

. Admittance for up to family of four
. One vehicle (preferably a car for the show and shine) and where needed a tow vehicle (most drive their cars - the right way to do it)
. Friday night Chili feed, Saturday night BBQ (basic but very good fare), Sunday morning left overs
. Saturday evening cruise through the country side to Birch Bay
. Saturday show and shine
. Poker run
. Ton of games for adults and kids
. Camping Fri to Sun - with power and at some sites water as well
. Run T-shirt
. Dash Plaque

A great time and typical cost in the Pacific North West for one of these events.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, once again I'm asking for your opinions. So far I have no experiences in these high dollar rallies so I would like to hear from you. Is this something for everyone or only for the rich and famous?
First, Redmond, Oregon: $339.00 2-adults, 4 nights, 30 Amp electrical hook-up. Live entertainment, RV products, new rigs, seminars, Etc. Etc. Etc. This seems like a lot of money to camp out, be entertained, and perswayed to buy their products. Are they going to feed us too? Doesn't say. Not to mention it would cost me about $600.00 in gas to get there and back. Now if you want to go to Nascar, move the decimal point over one notch, making it over $3,000.00 for one RV and two people. Has supply and demand caused these prices or are they really worth it?
Please help me and other forum members understand, What makes a weekend campout so expensive.
Bob,

Are you talking about the upcoming FMCA national convention in Redmond next month? Lot's of folks go to these to get factory service on their rigs (mostly provided for FREE by the OEMs) and they figure that the rally costs them way less than a single trip to a dealer. Plus they especially like all of the show specials that the vendors provide for their products and the very informative seminars on just about any topic you can think of related to motor homes.

I'll be there for the week doing service work for Aqua-Hot, Inc. for the 4000-5000 motor homes that show up there. That translates to a work overload for me, but that's why I go.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Bob,

Are you talking about the upcoming FMCA national convention in Redmond next month? Lot's of folks go to these to get factory service on their rigs (mostly provided for FREE by the OEMs) and they figure that the rally costs them way less than a single trip to a dealer. Plus they especially like all of the show specials that the vendors provide for their products and the very informative seminars on just about any topic you can think of related to motor homes.

I'll be there for the week doing service work for Aqua-Hot, Inc. for the 4000-5000 motor homes that show up there. That translates to a work overload for me, but that's why I go.
Hi, lewster. Yes that is one of the rallies I was talking about. From your discription, it sounds like a great place for rich people with their high dollar motorhomes? Not camping and not a rally, but Pomona Fair grounds has RV shows with seminars and vendors, on a smaller scale, but it costs about $6.00 to park my car and $6.00 to get in. Then I get some free stuff and last time I got a new Woodalls book so basically I got in free.

Now I'm with Barry, Gen disarray, Goin Camping, and Stephanie; on the more reallistic costs of camping.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
How does that compare to the International the last couple of weeks in Perry? Parked in a field, all work handled by volunteers who were often confused about what was supposed to be done, 30 amp service was an extra $135, knitting seminars and bridge tournaments, teen pageant and a band playing Lawrence Welk music? (I know this year they had a DJ and that was very popular)

Now I'm not knocking the WBCCI International Rally; I would have gone myself if we hadn't had a conflict and I could have convinced my wife. After all, it was less than 2 hours from my back yard. Just saying compare a volunteer run rally with a professionally organized rally managed by an event planning consultant with the things itemized in the first post vs. what you get at the WBCCI International and decide if it would be worth it in comparison.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
How does that compare to the International the last couple of weeks in Perry? Parked in a field, all work handled by volunteers who were often confused about what was supposed to be done, 30 amp service was an extra $135, knitting seminars and bridge tournaments, teen pageant and a band playing Lawrence Welk music? (I know this year they had a DJ and that was very popular)

Now I'm not knocking the WBCCI International Rally; I would have gone myself if we hadn't had a conflict and I could have convinced my wife. After all, it was less than 2 hours from my back yard. Just saying compare a volunteer run rally with a professionally organized rally managed by an event planning consultant with the things itemized in the first post vs. what you get at the WBCCI International and decide if it would be worth it in comparison.
I think the WBCCI International is in a league of its own. Like a trip to Mecca. You got to go at least once in your life. We hope to go to Bozman. Yes it will cost a ton and at the end of the day the $ to fun ratio will probably be lower than a forum rally with a Margarita ball. We still want to see and be at one.

Now the rally being discussed in this thread may be worth it to someone who wants to check out the vendors and attend the seminars. Have Someone like Lewster fix or modify their trailer etc. Sounds a lot like camping at the County Fair. Food, entertainment, products etc. A mix between social and business with a camping theme. Someone could have a lot of fun at an event like this.

We usually boondock miles from anyone out in the desert but we also enjoy forum rallies in RV parks. With so many styles of camping from boondocking to the WBCCI International I think we can enjoy those and everything inbetween. Just depends on what you want to see or do at the time.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote