Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx

We'd like to do a NASCAR race someday. Does anybody have advice on camping at any northern tracks like Michigan, The Glen or Chicago?Thanks,

Steve
We stayed at Watkins Glen State park a few years ago. It was in September. We drove to the track for a look see. It was only a few minutes from the State Park. The BMW club had rented the track for the weekend for some club racing. We tried to get in to watch the activities but were turned away at the gate. No club membership...... No entry! lol, well we tried!!

We found a grass hill just outside the track and watched the Bimmers do their stuff. It was interesting.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #22
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
We stayed at Watkins Glen State park a few years ago. It was in September. We drove to the track for a look see. It was only a few minutes from the State Park. The BMW club had rented the track for the weekend for some club racing. We tried to get in to watch the activities but were turned away at the gate. No club membership...... No entry! lol, well we tried!!

We found a grass hill just outside the track and watched the Bimmers do their stuff. It was interesting.

We had the same thing happen at Lime Rock, CT years ago. Way before I'd even heard of the SCCA (secret sports car club). We moved on that day and it was 10 years before a co-worker turned me on to club racing at Mid-Ohio. Since then I've been a spectator, SCCA Marshall, and won a region autocross championship in my then new '96 Neon. Now the boys and I just 'stream to the track. I really hope we can travel a little and perhaps make it to a new track this season.

By the way I can't help but wonder if it was you that Pontiac hired for the emergency Aztec redesign. I'm sure that you were the best qualified candidate for the job! That Pacer is the most unlikely beautiful car I could imagine. My son thought that it was Photoshoped! No, that's old school skill I told him

Best wishes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
I take my AS (land yacht 396XL) to a lot of NASCAR tracks and park in the infield. We have never had any damage and have a lot of fun. Don't expect to go to sleep early though. I have used ear plugs in the past and have done fine.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Pocono Race last June

Seems fitting that I now find this thread on the last day of the Nascar season, its a little old but I can toss in some info about the 1 race we went to this year. We went up to Pocono for the June race and had a great time (except for the fact that Jeff Gordon won - but that is a different issue :-)...

Anyway, we camped outside turn 3 in the hayfields with about 40-50,000 of our closest friends. see pic # 1. It was fairly well organized, each spot was marked off with white chalk stuff so you could see where your 'space" was and where the next guys started/stopped so that made it nice. The spots were about 20 feet wide and supposedly 80 feet long (more or less). You can see the lane markings in pic #2 (and yours truly...:-).

When you reserve an RV spot you get it for the whole weekend so we were there 4 days/3 nites. We ran totally self-contained the whole time, to the amazement of all the surrounding sobs... We were the only AS within the herd around us, and what everyone else did as soon as they pulled up was to unload these huge, mostly un-mufflered generators and crank them up. Then they would unroll a coil of rusty metal flex pipe as the exhaust extension so that it would get to the boundary of "their land" -- which naturally meant that the smoke was blowing right into the next guys "land". Anyway, we were on the end and it wasn't much of an issue for us (but I did wish they would invest a little into a muffler, but then again this is NASCAR and engines need to be loud...

Anyway, the guy right next to me was nice and talkative and kept wanting to offer me to plug into his generator so I could "charge-up" but I said my batteries were just fine. No A/C of course, but temps weren't really that bad so the Fantastic fan was just enough. We ran everything we wanted - lights, fans, TV, watched a couple movies at nite etc etc the whole 4 days and the batteries were only down to 3/8 on day 4. Anyway, they were all amazed at the capacity.

It did rain one night, and the issue with the fields is they can turn into a soupy mess real quick. But we had no problems. Also, everyday a "honey-wagon" pumper truck went up and down each lane so if you needed to they would drain your tanks and even re-fill your fresh water (I guess maybe they had 2 tanks on the truck ??) but we were just fine with our tanks.

Anyway, a couple of other pics from Pocono (why do all the ladies like Dale Jr so much... my wife just drools over him and he doesn't look anything like me... what's up with that ???)

So, not sure which races we will hit in 2008 but will plan on 1 or 2...

best regards, Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocono 40.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	49486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocono 10.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	49487  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocono 20.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	49488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocono 30.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	49489  

AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote