Old 06-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #99
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Charlottesville , Virginia
Just checking for any advice on magnolia fest. Kid friendly camping areas? Arrival time? Is VIP worth the money. Thanks folks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1434769082.492658.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	241120
Pic is of delfest in the am.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #100
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Anyone Like Bluegrass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRVD View Post
Just checking for any advice on magnolia fest. Kid friendly camping areas? Arrival time? Is VIP worth the money. Thanks folks.
I don't have specific advice since I haven't attended the event. However, the Spirit Of The Suwannee Music Park is owned and operated by the same family, the Cornett's, that started and still operate the Festival of the Bluegrass in Lexington, KY. They are top-notch!

On another subject...

We just attended The Festival of the Bluegrass in Lexington, KY. We attended last year too. Who knows... maybe we'll be there next year too! The festival is in early to mid June every year and it's been going on for over 40 years!

This is a wonderful family friendly event. Take a look at the web site and look at that picture of the stage and the crowd. That's as big as the crowd gets - it's probably a few thousand people at any single time and they are all well behaved and quiet - everyone there to hear the music.

I hadn't heard the name of most of the bands before this event since I don't follow bluegrass closely. Other than Seldom Scene, who have been around for years, I am not familiar with most of the up and coming bluegrass musicians. But what's not to like about old-time bluegrass, newgrass and acid grass? Put some combination of a fiddle, banjo, guitar, upright bass and mandolin together and what comes out is naturally enjoyable.

Festival of the BluegrassJune 9-12, 2016 - Home

Some pictures from the event:

Kentucky Bluebelles, Barefoot Movement and how about a group of Bluegrass fanatics who traveled all the way from Japan!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4716.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	241136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4755.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	241137  

Name:	IMG_4740.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	241138  

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Music Festivals and Airstreams

We're heading to the Trans-Pecos music festival at El Cosmico in Marfa in late September. We opted out of boondocking On-site and will camp at The Tumble In on the other side of town (which is about 4 minutes away).

http://elcosmico.com/stay/happenings...pecos-festival

Lynn

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
We have been attending the dixieland jazz festival in Three Rivers, CA. JazzAffair | Welcome to Three Rivers, California and the Annual Jazzaffair. Hot jazz, friendly people, beautiful scenery and great food await you. . That's just outside the South entrance to Sequoia Natl. Park. The bands play many types of music including lots of blues and even a bit of Zydeco. We stay at an older trailer park and can walk to most of the venues. It's a pleasant drive into Sequoia should you have the time.

Lots of festivals to attend. Just need to get out and go!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #103
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Grandview Heights , Ohio
Floydfest 2015

Does anyone have experience camping at the Delta Lot at Floydfest? How often do they come around to empty black water tanks and refill water? Do they search the campers? Is alcohol OK to bring in? Will there still be good spots available Thursday afternoon? Can you really only drink alcohol in designated areas inside the festival? Any other advice for airstreamers?

THANKS!!!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I did not attend Lockin, about 10 days ago, and will not be attending the Rhythm and Roots festival this weekend in Bristol.

I will be going to the Outer Banks Bluegrass festival Sept 23-26 and Wide Open Bluegrass in Raleigh, NC Sept 29 - Oct. 3 and also commuting to the Festy in Nellysford, Va. Oct 8-11.

Please contact me if you are going or would like any information.

I am thinking about going to Riverhawk Music Festival in Florida Nov 5-8. Anybody been or are going?

Dan
Old 09-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Dan,

We've been to Riverhawk a couple of times. Its at the Sertoma Youth Camp and there are other festivals there through the fall and the spring. Its mostly wooded and there are water and electric only hookups although the access roads are a bit tight especially overhead. There are several airstreams that are owned by regulars and I think they usually park in the lower area behind the concessions. We found the smoke from the campfires very annoying so we do no camp at the festival.

Rather, there is a former Airstreamer park called Traveler's Rest within ten miles on the East side of 75 or so that is very accommodating. It has full hookups, and the last time there for Riverhawk, we took advantage of that to winterize our rig. We stayed there and daytripped in for the music. You miss out on the festival camping experience and jamming so if that's your thing, and you can stand the smoke, go for it! Otherwise we really liked the lineup from year to year and its a very manageable size for an Americana festival. Just big enough to make it interesting.

Our Airstream is now on the west coast and we use a RT van to go to East Coast festivals, but feeling the pain of the lack of flexibility to do what we did at Riverhawk and camp elsewhere and daytrip. I suppose we could break camp everyday, but that is a pain.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:55 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRVD View Post
Attachment 241120
Pic is of delfest in the am.
We've been to the Spirit of the Suwanee Park a few times. If you plan to run a generator, they shunt you off to a special lot. We paid for hookups (water and electric), and had a space right next to the indoor pavilion facility. Hookup Spaces are reserved so arrive when you like, but the best dry camping spaces go very fast... The main campgrounds are still pretty close to the concert venues, but also see my comments about smoke at Sertoma... same problem here. Also beware the drum circle! That is why we liked our last spot. We actually camped next to several vintage trailers that were owned by a fellow who did the sound systems in the indoor facility... The crowd varies with each show (the last we did was Springfest which was a younger Americana oriented crowd but honest and respectful for the most part...) Wanee is a free for all and Magfest is somewhere in between. We have decided against Mag due to the cost and the disjointed lineup... Love Tedeschi Trucks, but seemed out of place with some of the other acts... Will likely return for Springfest. cheaper and more interesting lineup. Reserve early for hookups! VIP is OK if you wantto sit next to the stage (off to the side a bit) , but have never done it.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
I did not attend Lockin, about 10 days ago, and will not be attending the Rhythm and Roots festival this weekend in Bristol.

I will be going to the Outer Banks Bluegrass festival Sept 23-26 and Wide Open Bluegrass in Raleigh, NC Sept 29 - Oct. 3 and also commuting to the Festy in Nellysford, Va. Oct 8-11.

Please contact me if you are going or would like any information.

I am thinking about going to Riverhawk Music Festival in Florida Nov 5-8. Anybody been or are going?

Dan
http://

nothinfancybluegrass.com/default.asp?loadpage=festival
I just heard about this one and it's in your back yard.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
http://

nothinfancybluegrass.com/default.asp?loadpage=festival
I just heard about this one and it's in your back yard.
I have been to this festival several times. It is a good festival, but I am drawn to the Outer Banks Festival and the Watermellon Park Festival that are the same weekend but with a better lineup. The Outer Banks late in September then sliding over to Raleigh on Tuesday for the Wide Open Bluegrass Ramble and Festival should be lots of fun.

Tomz

Thanks for the feedback. If I go to Riverhawk I will probably just tent camp since I will be alone and it is so far. I tent camped at Suwanee Springfest last spring and had a great time.

Dan
Old 09-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #109
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
The Gram Parsons Guitar Pull and Tribute Festival is this weekend (last weekend of September every year) in Waycross, GA. Two or three Air Forums members will be there.

Check out the rally calendar for more details.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Music Festivals and Airstreams

Glad to see this thread. We just got back from the Green River Festival (their 30th anniversary) in Greenfield, MA. What a great event! You can see the lineup at their link below. One of my favorite surprises I hadn't heard before was Dustbowl Revival - quite tasty! 😀

This year was the first year they arranged for camping at a fairground about 2 miles from the festival location and they provided shuttle service to and from the campsite/venue. There were probably 40 trailers (only one Airstream &#128512 and maybe 100 tents. We had electric and water but no sewer (there is a dump station but we basically just used it for our grey water in the blue boy since we didn't use much black and are camping again in a few days for another short trip.

Rained like the dickens almost all weekend until the last act on the last day 😀 - really didn't hurt the event at all.

Some really terrific food vendors and a couple local breweries.

The company that does the sound is simply the best I've ever heard. I remember thinking it was as amazing as the Jazz Festival in NOLA and come to find out, it's the same company. It makes SUCH a difference when you can clearly hear everything going on without going deaf.

We'll be back for sure! Link and a panoramic pic are below.

http://www.greenriverfestival.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468288553.640823.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	266531  
Old 07-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468288651.374425.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	266532

(Sorry - didn't work right in last reply)
Old 11-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Wide Open Bluegrass Music Festival

I went to the Wide Open Bluegrass Music Festival this year and had a great time. This festival is in Downtown Raleigh, NC. Camping is available at the State Fair Grounds (with shuttle transportation to the festival) or you can camp without hooksups at a parking lot downtown. This is where I like to stay and then I ride my bike to all the music.

This is really 3 festivals in one. The first part is called the Bluegrass Ramble. This is music Tuesday through Thursday at 4 bars, one church and two other locations. It starts at 7:00 and goes until 2:00. The second part is big name performances outside all day Friday and Saturday at the Red Hat Amphitheater. The third part is free music at 7 stages in the downtown area. This festival is put on by IBMA once a year last weekend in September.