Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
McKinney Army Corp of Engineers on Lake Allatoona in Georgia

We had a great time with the TAC Rally Group at Cloudland Canyon over Labor Day weekend. We have a site reserved at Devil's Fork campground in SC for this coming weekend. Looking forward to cooler weather, visiting this campground, and meeting some people from the Shasta and Tearjerker's Forums. Avions are sort of misfits, so we just go where ever the fun is!
There are now 7 sites reserved at McKinney by Air Forum members for November 4-6. Some folks are planning to arrive on Thursday, so we may too. Lets prepare appetizer type finger foods for one social gathering. Also, be thinking ahead of a dish to pass for a pot-luck dinner. If there is enough interest, we might have a tour of trailers at lunchtime on Saturday. Each participating trailer could have a lunch item available for visitors to take along on their walking tour. A progressive bag lunch. What do you think?
Everybody quit procrastinating and get your reservations made.

Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia

Sites 96 and 97 have now been reserved by Vintage Shastas. They will be coming from Savannah and be arriving in the dark. Please welcome them with flashlights and lanterns and help guide them into their spaces. Our first Falluminum visit, we were welcomed with lanterns and helpful directions from the Airstreamers. We never forgot that kindness and now pass it on.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We are in! We just booked site 102. We will be there without seven children, ages 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14. (our Airstream has a bunkroom with two sets of triples and a single in between.) on a recent trip to another corps of engineers site on alatoona we met a nice family with a 1960s stream who had never heard of the forum, and they are considering making a reservation as well. We will post here if they do!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia

As of today sites 100, 95, and 94 are still available, for November 4-6, in the original loop. Expand into loop sites 105-117 as needed. Two Airstreams are already registered on sites 108 and 112. Click Rallies above, then click listed Rallies by Date, find McKinney and RSVP. Several members have mentioned that they are arriving on Thursday. Are there more? Nine sites are now reserved by Air Forum members. Seven sites are reserved for Shastas. Keep the reservation notices coming in. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We are in! We just booked site 102. We will be there without seven children...
Skatiero, Do you mean "with our" instead of "without" ?

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
OOps, Someday, I sure did! My ipad automatically "corrects." Grrrr! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia

I purchased my "ugly" sweater today for 1/2 off at the Salvation Army store sale, for a grand total of $2.00. Is anyone else planning to participate by wearing an ugly sweater? I thought we could model them at our appetizer social, one evening during introductions, then vote on the "tackiest" selection.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #22
Smoky Mountain Bearstreaming

2012 30' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is this just for certain members? Army corp?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia

http://www.boothmuseum.org/

It is a campground run by the Army Corps of Engineers, instead of a State Park or Private campground. Other campers from TN are coming from the Nashville and Chattanooga areas. It is not just for Georgia campers. Make your reservations and come on down. Read the entire post for more details. Check in time is after 4:00 PM, plus there is a gate that locks at 9:00 PM, so plan accordingly.
There is a Western Art Museum in Cartersville,Georgia which is nearby. I will try to find out more information about it and post a link.
Link posted above.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
I have visited the Booth museum several times. It is without a doubt one of the most interesting places you can see. They have a great display of many items. They have a great art work, a good representation of art work of the civil war, a great dIsplay of written correspondence from every president and much much more. While there across the street is the Appalation Grill a great restaurant .Both a really neat place to go.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
The Booth Museum of western art is just wonderful, as is neighboring Tellus Science Museum, which includes the Weinman MinerL Museum and a planetarium as well as an amazing science museum. The Indian Mounds close by are also wonderful. All are worth seeing!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia

I checked the availability map at McKinney today. Site 100 is still available in the original 93-104 loop. Who is going to grab it? Sites 95, 96, 97 are Shasta reservations. There are still plenty of sites in the next loop 105-117 if more Airstreams want to join in.
I just returned from a Tearjerkers Rally in SC. I posted pictures of some of the tiniest trailers you can imagine, on my blog. Vintage Awnings They just left their trailers wide open, for the tour of trailers, and everbody just wandered around the campground viewing the trailers and taking pictures. For the Pot-Luck dinner, there was a buffet line with covered hot dishes on one picnic table, while cold salads and desserts were on another. Everyone just needed to bring folding camping chairs to the designated campsite. It gave me some ideas for our gathering in November, because there isn't a picnic shelter there either.The two camping loops at Tearjerkers merged together effortlessly too.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia

Campsite Map V2 - Recreation.gov - Recreation.gov

Here is the updated map.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member