Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Ia tac rally

We are now home and anxious to meet everyone at the First IA TAC rally. We are in site 190. We have friends who are also registered, but they do not have internet capability. I will check with them about what we will each bring for the potluck. It's sounding yummy and fun already!!

tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
IA TAC Rally

We will bring brownies to go with ice cream and a vegetable [corn on the cob--if available, or potatoes or something]. We'll check with our non-Internet friends next week and let you know what they plan to bring. We also have hot dog/mmellow sticks.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
IA TAC First Ever Rally----yahoooooo!

Our non-internet friends ARE coming. That makes 8 units, right?? Well, now we have another couple that are considering. I sent them the link and hope they make the connection. Looks like there are only 2 sites left and one site is short. I suggested they reserve site H179. Sure hope it's still available
Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
The count down is on- TWO weeks from today we will be sitting around getting to know one another; and som of you have already met. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE IOWA TAC. Let's keep this thread going and maybe we will end up with more than the 8 already signed up.
Weather looks to be in the 90's, I have a 10x10 canopy and a tarp anyone else got one?
I have a simple rec for no-cook ice cream from Betty C, anyone else have a good one? and Brownies um.
later, mike
Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
From Texas to Iowa to Texas

We just picked up our first AS in June.
It's a '74 Overlander and we bought her on ebay (scary) and picked her up in Eldridge at Terry Fraziers RV. She was traded in by a couple from Iowa (second owners) and has spent her entire life in Iowa.
We drove from Houston (home) to Eldridge and couldn't wait to see our purchase.
My wife and her family are from Northwest Iowa (Mallard) near Emmetsburg.
We decided since we were in Iowa, we ought to make a camping trip out of it.
We hauled her from Eldridge through the Amana Colonies, UNI (where my wife went to college), to our final destination, Lake Okoboji.
Camped for 3 nights and then drove non-stop (20 hours) back to Houston.
At least we know she's road worthy .
Got her at our ranch and have big plans for the restoration/remodel.
Thought I would post a photo since she still has her "Iowa" identity.
We will make another trip back when she's complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	106931  
Old 07-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Iowa to Texas--come back sometime!

Wow! Your trailer is definitely from Iowa. I feel like I should know you already. The towns you mention are right in our neighborhood, and I, too, graduated from UNI. Sure wish we had known you were here. We might have had a chance for a meeting. If you're ever back this way again, be sure to put a post on AF. Enjoy renovating your Airstream.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Welcome to the AF, and happy for your purchase and the safe trip. What a coincidence, you picked up the unit 7 miles from the house and returned to Houston; our son lives in Vidor/Beaumont. Did you take I35 and I45 back and what were the roads like?

looking forward for more pix; good luck, mike
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
We took I-35 to I-45. On the way up we drove I-10 East (through Vidor/Beaumont) through Louisiana (my home State) and caught I-55 through Memphis. Beautiful drive once you get on I-55. The I-10 trip East out of Houston through Louisiana is one of my most dreaded drives.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
1st camping experience in the "Silver Rhino"

When we arrived in Eldridge, the weather was terrible. In fact they had tornado warnings the minute we arrived at the dealer. We got soaked walking from the truck to the showroom.
Of course I was so excited to see our new AS, I jumped out and ran through the parking lot to have a look inside.
Our experience with Terry Frazier was excellent.
They were extremely helpful and patient with us, especially since we probably purchased the least expensive RV they've ever sold
They actually allowed us to use their hookups on their lot the first night.
We make the obligatory trip to the local WalMart for cleaning supplies and provisions and spent almost as much as the trailer cost us.
I'm having a 60'x40' metal building constructed at our little ranch about 100 miles from Houston to house her while I begin my restoration.
These photos were taken a couple of weeks ago at the ranch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1692.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	106934   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1694.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	106935  

Name:	DSCN1686.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	106936  
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Two weeks - See you soon!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!
We don't have a canopy, glad that you do.
And brownies sound terrific-yum...cakey or fudgy?

http://byams55flyingcloud.blogspot.com/
Byams55FlyCl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Boone , Iowa
Hey all! This is going to be so much fun!!! With all the traveling for business that Dave has been doing we've only had the Airstream out twice so far. Sad, so very sad. So a few planning items; so far it seems we have:
3-4 meat dishes
1-2 veggie dishes
1 fruit dish
brownies
2 ice cream
Please correct me, I might have mis-counted. Either way, I doubt if we'll go hungry.

We have an awning over our trailer, but no canopy or such. I'm assuming we will all wander around the circle meeting and visiting. Iowa weather is unpredicatable we all know, so we'll just play it by ear... I'm going to post an ice cream recipe in my next note...have to go get the cookbook...as a couple of you have asked.
I have to work Friday morning, but we plan to have the trailer packed on Thursday evening, so we will leave by noon or 1 on Friday, which will put us in camp by 3 p.m. We can have an informal camp-fire (or not if it is 90 out) and visit and get acquainted. Say about 7 p.m. I'm sure unofficially (this whole thing is unofficial, ha-ha, which is the attraction for us) we will walk around and meet everyone when we get there. We're bringing the 2001 Airstream, not the 1974, cuz it needs quite a bit of work. We haven't used it for a couple years, but hopefully we'll start in again on the refurbishing. Maybe we can talk the topic, it would be fun to hear what others want to do to theirs.
For the Saturday evening potluck, we'll start the fire for the hotdogs about 6 p.m. That way everyone can have a leisurely day and do whatever they want. Drive in to Des Moines, which is really only about 20 minutes away, so not a bad drive, lay around the campsite being lazy (my vote), fishing, boating, biking, etc. etc.
Anyway, we'll start the fire by 6 p.m., so people can start wandering over with the chairs and stuff. We can be making the ice cream while we are eating and visiting. Unless you want to make it ahead of time? I'm probably going to make mine at the supper.
Brownies sound good with it and I'll have another bar cookie to go with them. I'll have the making for s'mores also.
Just two weeks to go and I'm so looking forward to it. It will be nice to meet all of you as we haven't met anyone.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Boone , Iowa
You were in Cedar Falls, Iowa for UNI, which is where we live! And we used to live in the Quad-Cities! You will enjoy your Iowa Airstream! Come visit in Iowa again, you'll be welcomed!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Boone , Iowa
Philly-style Vanilla Ice Cream (not a custard)
makes 1 quart
3 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Heat the cream ina large saucepan over medium heat. Heat until small bubbles appear around the edge. DO NOT LET THE CREAM BOIL. Remove from heat and add the sugar stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Then stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until cold.
Freeze according to your ice cream machine's instructions. Ice Cream will be soft, but will firm up if desired by placing in plastic container and freezing for an hour or so. May need to let sit for a few minutes after taking out of the freezer.

If desired, while making, when the ice cream is almost done, add in 1/2 cup of candies such as M&Ms, Reese's pieces, Junior Mints or other favorites.
Enjoy!
For camping, I think this is easier, than a cooked and cooled custard mix. If any of you are interested I have a couple recipes for those also.

Candy
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
sioux city , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to siouxcitygro
I would like the other recipes, may use them some day

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajones View Post
Philly-style Vanilla Ice Cream (not a custard)
makes 1 quart
3 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Heat the cream ina large saucepan over medium heat. Heat until small bubbles appear around the edge. DO NOT LET THE CREAM BOIL. Remove from heat and add the sugar stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Then stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until cold.
Freeze according to your ice cream machine's instructions. Ice Cream will be soft, but will firm up if desired by placing in plastic container and freezing for an hour or so. May need to let sit for a few minutes after taking out of the freezer.

If desired, while making, when the ice cream is almost done, add in 1/2 cup of candies such as M&Ms, Reese's pieces, Junior Mints or other favorites.
Enjoy!
For camping, I think this is easier, than a cooked and cooled custard mix. If any of you are interested I have a couple recipes for those also.

Candy