Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I think NO Structure WORKS FOR US. NO DUES. GPS Coordinates and the day and lets camp and have fun. NO OFFICERS are need. I have been to a few AirForums events. We needed NOTHING. Everyone had a great time. I came away satisfied. Everyone pitches in and helps and contributes something. If you care too.GO Back to the Detroit-Metro Rally 2008 pictures and see if you find anyone unhappy.
I think not. That's the kind of group I want to belong too.
Glad you had so much fun at a WBCCI buddy rally.... OOPPS, did no one tell you that?
From Save Wally.org:
Founded in 1973 as a unit for “working members” rather than “retirees”, the Metro-Detroit Unit maintains a mix of working members and retirees to this day. The Metro-Detroit Unit typically puts on 4 or 5 Unit rallies a year that often have a family focus, in addition to supporting, and sometimes hosting, the Michigan State Rally along with the Michigan and Mid-East Michigan Units. In the off season, monthly luncheons keep Metro-Detroit members active. The Metro-Detroit Unit is proud to have WBCCI Past International Presidents and National Caravan Leaders among its members.

Was that the same rally you met Rob Baker? He came all the way from Central new York for that rally. He told me is was a great time. I had a conflict that weekend and wanted to attend. Wish I had.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Frank, Roger wasn't mistaken he is talking about the Metro Detroit forums rally.

In 2008 MD unit had Christmas in July and the fall installation rally, not sure of others that year. Our spring host did not have his rally to open the season as in other years. Some of the luncheons are held in Florida over winter.

There was a spring forums rally with Ohio, Michigan, Canada, and PE represented and we stayed at Mary's Lake State Park and toured the factory, the summer forums rally hosted by Rhonda and Dave locally, and then we had the Metro Detroit forums rally at Mackinaw last fall. Rhonda and Dave have taken over the former Metro Detroit Louapaloozas that we have every year in summer, also a forums rally. Many members attend both forum and WBCCI unit rallies but we have quite a large group of Airstreamers that are forums rally attenders only.

However Rhonda and Dave and Ralph and Laura are doing a super job of recruiting many of the forum rally goers into WBCCI rally goers! It's getting younger and new members! Previously before Rhonda and Dave ther were NO children. It is an older unit changing by recruitment. The ones with children formerly were forum rally attendees and now coming into the club but some will not.

That progressive cocktail hour was a definite forum rally feature. LOL And yes we all met Rob Baker and Steve Burrows. It was Rhonda's and Dave's MD summer rally and while she is an officer in WBCCI it was not a WBCCI rally.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
What I would like to see in a new club or the old club run in a new way is as 2Air set out. The majority of dues should be used to fund what the unit members benefit the most from and determine for themselves. Of course less rigidity and less dressing alike and better more interesting and active events and rallies with less driving once there and less buildings to go into and more outside activities and games and fun on site for all ages together rather than segregation of ages interests and pursuits and intraclubs or level of leadership.

LESS IS MORE! Spontaneity is envigorating.

photography
Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
The structure for a new club...

The following is from the post that I referenced earlier in this post related to the structure for a new club.

I cannot help but think that this meets what 2Air and Wheel Interested have suggested.

My suggestion is for an Airstream club that will encompass North America.

My vision is two fold.

First, I would like to see a national (North American) organization that is a stand alone entity. People who want to can join. The ONLY requirement for membership is that the proposed member wishes to further the better interests of the organization. NOTHING else.
  • I do NOT see regions/units, etc., etc. as a part of this organization.
  • If people want to have localized clubs (like the WBCCI units) that are stand alone entities that is their business; go for it if it is what you want. These groups/clubs get to do what they want, when they want, how they want and why they want. They cannot tell this national organization what to do and the national organization cannot tell them what to do. Completely separate entities.

Second, I see any local clubs having the OPTION of being chartered clubs of the national organization IF they want to be aligned with a national organization.
  • I do NOT see the national organization dictating anything to the local clubs. I see the national organization establishing some guidelines that a local club would have to meet in in order to become affiliated with the national organization. One of these would be that the local clubs are incorporated as stand alone entities so they in no way can be viewed as being a part of the national organization; they are stand alone entities with their own funding/officers/members, etc., etc.
To have a voice in the national organization you have to be a member of the national organization. Membership in the national organization is completely separate from membership in a local club.

This way the national organization has to provide something of benefit to its members AND its affiliated clubs if it is to survive; for example, it is much more cost effective for a national organization to purchase liability insurance that will cover the activities of its affiliated clubs. The intent is for the national organization to be an organization where all of the local clubs can come together.

Activities and benefits would be dictated by the members based on what they want and what they are willing to contribute.

Everything I write about will relate ONLY to a national organization.

First I would like to see a national organization make extremely good use of the internet and its club web site. I see the web site being the focal point for the organization. The history of the club should be maintained on the web site for anyone who access the site to see.

But, there should be parts of the web site that are exclusive to the membership. One of the things that I would like to see in the members only section is a mechanism for members to vote. Doing this on line saves postage expense and/or travel expense to a meeting. And it means that everyone should always be able to vote. Oh yes, if you are a member you get to vote.

My objective is to create an organization were participation is extremely easy. For example, if you would like to run for a position as an officer or director you should be able to put yourself forward with no need for anyone else to select/recommend you. The objective should be to make it as easy as can be for people to get involved to whatever degree they so desire.

I see a monthly newsletter being posted in PDF format on the web site. Read it there. Or, if you must have a copy download it. This save tremendous expenses on postage and printing.

What I would really like to see is the organization conduct all business by way of the web site. This means NO US Mail. Yes, this may well exclude some people. But it will keep the cost of membership at a very low level and reduces the work load for the directors. Snail mail and paper costs are getting to be a major burden for most organizations.

What I have put forth here is but the tip of the iceberg.

I have asked Andy for a sub forum to move forward with these ideas. What do y'all think about this?

I am open to suggestion. I am in no way saying that what I have proposed here is "the way it should be". I view this as a starting point with lots of work needed to ensure that what gets created is what people want.

I would like my task for this endeavor to be that of a facilitator. I want to bring people who care about doing something like this together. I can provide some level of expertise about document development and getting the organization over the incorporation (legal) hurdles.

So, what do y'all think?

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #33
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Jim how long are U airstreaming?

Why don't you talk to Bob Thompson, he has a new club already in rough draft. He's been Airstreaming for decades.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #34
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Airforums is a Club....

I think Airforums is a club of sorts. Why don't we just leave it at that? Airforums has rallies from small to large and a wide variety of information is exchanged on this forum. A person can choose to participate or not. It seems to me we already have a club and it works pretty well.

Good Sam, WBCCI and others exist if you want structured events - those can be very fulfilling although I realize they are not for everyone.

Long live Airforums!

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Why can't we just go camping. If you want to be involved with the Wally club, do so. If you don't, then don't.

I've been a member, and some was good, some was not. I was treated with utter disdain by some of the older women who would look right through me. If you expect to be entertained all of the time you will be dissappointed. if you don't have the time to put into making the changes needed, then at least suport the ones who do. if you want to start a new club, do so.

Older people who have been with the club for many years probably don't see anything wrong and don't know what all of the fuss is about anyway.
Some of the younger group wants everything their way and will create ways to get it. There is a middle of the road somewhere, but will the club last long enough to find it? don't know.

Just random thoughts, don't slay me.

Marie
Old 11-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Yet another new club proposal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
Jim how long are U airstreaming?<br />
<br />
Why don't you talk to Bob Thompson, he has a new club already in rough draft. He's been Airstreaming for decades.
Dear Bob,

This is the second time you have IMPLIED that I am not someone who should be "allowed" to have anything to say about a new Airstream club because I have not been "airstreaming" for a sufficiently long period of time.

Is there a requirement that anyone who has an idea about a new club has to have been "airstreaming" for a certain period of time before they can comment in response to a question about what they would like to see in a new club?

The first time you made this same attack was in the post from August 2008, which I referred to in my first reply to this thread .

I find it interesting that someone with the following in their signature line:

"WBCCI Time's a-changing Say no to Lawrence Welk attitudes"

displays an attitude that so represents what many of us prospective WBCCI members have encountered and, as a result, are not in the least interested in the WBCCI.

Why would I or my wife consider being a member of an organization in which the length of time that we have been an Airstream owner is SO important that our opinion is ruled by a member to not count simply because we have not been around for "decades"?

For what it is worth, we are not discussing the WBCCI here, we are discussing what a new Airstream club might be; what ANYONE who cares to contribute to the process would like to see in such an organization. I am not aware of Fred putting any qualifying caveats in his request for input to this post.

I put forth my ideas in order to encourage people who might want to work toward an alternative to the WBCCI to have an opportunity to provide input to such a process. I offered but one idea. I am sure there are many more.

I have no idea what Bob Thompson has in mind; let him bring it forth in this post so we can all see it and comment upon it.

Could the Bob Thompson "new club already in rough draft" be the mysterious proposal that 2air referred to in one of his earlier reply's in this post?

We're you consulted about how this "new club already in rough draft" willl operate? Are the remainder of us on this here forum not worthy of participating in discussing what a new Airstream club might look like? Are we not worthy of expressing our ideas about that which we would like to see in a new club?

Seems to me that this is the perfect opportunity for Bob Thompson to put forth his proposal to the Airstream community so we all might be able to see it. Or, could it be that his proposal has already been put forth to Airstream, Inc., without input from the largest Airstream community on the web, this here forum?

Jim

Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Thank You Carol
Frank it was Det-Metro Airforums Rallys of 2008 and 2009 that I was thinking of. We had a great time at both. I am aware that Rob ,Dave and Rhonda ,Brad and Carol ,RobandZoe and Ralph and Laura are all members of WBCCI ,but as far as I could see Were not there to RECRUIT,In fact WBCCI was never mentioned We were havin to much fun,wiff no meetings,or P's or Vp's or VP's of 10 yrs ago that thought they were owed something because they once served.
Yes someone has to coordinate.Dave and Rhonda and Laura and Ralph did a wonderful job of steering.But it took the whole of the group to make it happen. Everyone benefited. Some have the talent to make things like this happen,I wish I did.I only have the ability to support.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
No matter how you structure a club, there will always be people who manage and run it. Given human nature, those people will run it to most benefit themselves rather than the members. I do not know of any large organization that does not have a leader or a small group of people who call the shots behind the scene.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #39
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
Dear Bob,

This is the second time you have IMPLIED that I am not someone who should be "allowed" to have anything to say about a new Airstream club because I have not been "airstreaming" for a sufficiently long period of time.

Is there a requirement that anyone who has an idea about a new club has to have been "airstreaming" for a certain period of time before they can comment in response to a question about what they would like to see in a new club?
I implied nothing, nor did any attack take please, you post here once or twice a month or every other month or so which is great as a forum member.

But I don't think you have enough experience airstreaming to lead or propose bylaws pertaining to a new Airstream club.

Your input is more than welcome as is everyone's but you tried to take it over and that's where I drew the line, I don't think your experience or lack there of qualifies you.

If this is to succeed we need a leader(s) that has experience and name recognition with WBCCI and Airforums.

Moreover, someone that has the time to organize such a task.

Ps: Do you have a clue who Bob T is?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #40
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Always a good question

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
As far as I am concerned each and everyone of us is entitled to try to start a club and that there can be many clubs started. Competition is a good thing and anyone with drive and energy is a good candidate to make the attempt in my opinion.

People measuring people is a big turn-off to me. From the comments so far there definitely is room for a club for the Bobs and a club without the Bobs, at least. How about some more ideas and people interested in seeing new clubs happen chiming in. I don't think we need to be pseudo aggressive unless the person is in YOUR club, so in otherwords premature to be voting anyone off the island, don't you think?

photography
Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Reminds me of East Berlin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Anyone whoever had the privilege of being in Berlin, Germany, during the years of the cold war can answer this question quite easily.

The East Germans had so many problems with the people and guards defecting across the border from East Berlin to West Berlin after the wall was erected that they enacted a system where there were a minimum of 6 guards assigned to any work crew that was dispatched to work on the wall.

The first guard was there to watch the workers and had orders to shoot to kill any that choose to make an attempt to cross "no mans land" and reach West Berlin. The second guard was assigned to do the same to the first guard. The third guard was assigned to do the same to the second, and so on.

Surely you are not suggesting that this is necessary for a social organization....

Jim