View Poll Results: Which weekend would work best for the LPPI rally? You can pick more than one.
July 14-16, 2006 3 23.08%
July 21-23, 2006 3 23.08%
July 28-30, 2006 6 46.15%
August 4-6, 2006 6 46.15%
August 11-13, 2006 4 30.77%
August 18-20, 2006 2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #127
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Metro Detroit Camping Get Together

(from Andy's wife)

When we met Lou and his family and a few other people for pizza a couple of Saturdays ago, I suggested Sauder Village in Ohio (1 hr away from Toledo), This is a very nice campground, clean and quiet as well. Full hookups are $22, water and electric are $21 and the other is $19. It's doesn't get any better than this when other campgrounds are raising their prices! I think this is a good place for those also coming from Ohio.

I am sure you can get back and forth on a full tank of gas too for those who are going to complaint about the gas prices! This is cheaper than a hotel ($100 a night) and you can even use the $68 for gas. Also the same campground over and over again gets boring! Come on let's explore some other campgrounds!

Below is a description for Sauder Village. The longer you hem and haw about where to go, the harder it maybe for reservations for a group.

This 37-site campground just south of the Historic Sauder Village features 50-amp hook-ups, camp fire rings and picnic tables at each site. 26 sites have water hook-up and there's a dump station for the 11 pull-through sites. Guests can also make use of the bathhouse, which offers showers, restrooms and a laundry facility, play shuffleboard, and even fish in the small lake. Also available is a site designed to offer easy access to special needs guests. The campground opens and closes each year with Historic Sauder Village (open late April through the end of October

Old 04-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Sauder Village

Sounds great to us!! We have always wanted to check out Sauder Village up there too. Do they have a section for groups or anything? What are we thinking for a date?

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #129
Rivet Master

I did not say that the rally was to be held at Covnenant Hills...
Yes, Sauder Village was mentioned.
Ja-Do was used last year for the Impromptu Rally. It was not the best turn-out. I felt that since the couple who own Ja-Do had taken the time to talk with me for quite awhile AND spend time in sending me information, etc... that we should investigate them.
I, for one, would not mind either. My choice, however, will be based upon what they offer for amenities for the girls. My kids come first, I can hang out at a campfire anyplace. They need a place to swim and a playground.
The cost of the sites are not a major concern to me as long as my girls have something to do.
Also, 37 sites and booking over half of them on a weekend may be next to impossible.
Last year's rally was planned in April/May by me and Carol. We had no problems in getting campgrounds to commit to 15-20 sites with a 2-3 month notice.
Hemming and hawing on my part has not really been hemming and hawing. I have been working my regular job and I am running my own engineering consulting services company now. That takes a lot of time out of the day for me.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Ja-Do

Ja-Do has a very small playground. Not much else there for kids, Lou. It has some small trails. The section that they put us in when we met up with the Smiths was very small and not made for more than 4 AS to get into without all kinds of backing around and finagling to get into. We would need a larger area for as many as we had at Covenant last year, for example.
Larry and I will have to play the time by ear, as usual, since we do the senior care thing. I think we should try Sauder and see what kinds of good stuff is there.
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 04-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Alrighty. Let me throw my hat in the ring for helping plan. If we can do this late July or very early August, we can attend. (July 30 is the only July race I can find at MIS) Here's what I hear so far:

Swimming for kids; pool or is lake acceptable?
Play area for kids.
Preferably full hookups; how do the faithful feel about elec/water or elec only?
Within, what, say a roughly 100 mile radius of Ann Arbor?

So far mentioned:
Ja-Do - no Swimming as listed in Woodalls
Sauder Village - Facilities get 4 W's, but no swimming.
Totem Pole - Not bad, has a pool

I did a brief sweep of my Woodall's book in that region, south of I-94, east of Hillsdale, and pulled the likely candidates for Michigan. You can find them at my Link Site:

http://del.icio.us/ssbtdoom/LPPI

Of these I liked KC Kamp, GreenBriar and Indian camp the best. Covered Wagon looks like a field.

I'll try to post the Ohio ones this weekend.

John
John's Camping Blog
Old 04-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #132
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff
Ja-Do has a very small playground. Not much else there for kids, Lou. It has some small trails. The section that they put us in when we met up with the Smiths was very small and not made for more than 4 AS to get into without all kinds of backing around and finagling to get into. We would need a larger area for as many as we had at Covenant last year, for example.
Larry and I will have to play the time by ear, as usual, since we do the senior care thing. I think we should try Sauder and see what kinds of good stuff is there.
Lou
We also have the option of Totem Pole just 9 miles north of the border.
They were going to put us in a cul-de-sac all to ourselves. There are about thirty sites in the cul-de-sac.
They also have a beach and a large playground.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #133
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
from Itowair's wife

You can take Sauder Village off the list as no pool for the kids. That is fine with me. My last email was not meant to be offensive to anyone, I just want to get out and go camping and get something going is all. My husband and I are flexible. I do prefer full electric though! A pool would be good too in the warm summer months just to cool off.

Looking to having some fun with other camping friends!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #134
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Alrighty. Let me throw my hat in the ring for helping plan. If we can do this late July or very early August, we can attend. (July 30 is the only July race I can find at MIS) Here's what I hear so far:

Swimming for kids; pool or is lake acceptable?
Play area for kids.
Preferably full hookups; how do the faithful feel about elec/water or elec only?
Within, what, say a roughly 100 mile radius of Ann Arbor?

So far mentioned:
Ja-Do - no Swimming as listed in Woodalls
Sauder Village - Facilities get 4 W's, but no swimming.
Totem Pole - Not bad, has a pool

I did a brief sweep of my Woodall's book in that region, south of I-94, east of Hillsdale, and pulled the likely candidates for Michigan. You can find them at my Link Site:

http://del.icio.us/ssbtdoom/LPPI

Of these I liked KC Kamp, GreenBriar and Indian camp the best. Covered Wagon looks like a field.

I'll try to post the Ohio ones this weekend.

John
John's Camping Blog
Dude! I was thinking of KC last year too.
We really should nail down a date this weekend, this week at the lastest.
Thanks for giving the LPPI its own little spot on your site!
KC really looks good to me too.
As for dates:
July 21-23
July 28-30
Aug 4-6
Aug 11-13
Aug 18-20

Those are the weekends in late July through mid-August.
I am going to do a poll for them....
Highest vote-getter takes it for the weekend.

Lou
Old 04-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #135
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITOWAIR
from Itowair's wife

You can take Sauder Village off the list as no pool for the kids. That is fine with me. My last email was not meant to be offensive to anyone, I just want to get out and go camping and get something going is all. My husband and I are flexible. I do prefer full electric though! A pool would be good too in the warm summer months just to cool off.

Looking to having some fun with other camping friends!
Claudia,

You know that you and Andy are my favorites!
I did not take it that way...
I am sorry if you got that impression from my post....
You guys ROCK!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #136
Rivet Master

Pick one, two, three, four, five or six!

You can go ahead and vote on the date.
Once I have a firm date we can go through our options on the campgrounds.
Last year I called about ten different campgrounds and then put up a poll here to decide which one.
I called the campgrounds and informed them that we would have up to twenty trailers We had 16... not bad for our first LPPI event!
I also informed them that we would like to have our group camped all together.
Let me know what date you guys want and I can call the campgrounds that we narrow it down to.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #137
Rivet Master

Just noticed something...

Thanks for the links, John!
I noticed that KC has a banner that states, "Groups and Clubs Welcome!"
That would be removed just after our visit, that's for sure!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #138
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Thanks for the planning!

Hi! Thanks for helping with the plans.
We are booked the first 2 wks. of Aug. Family reunions that we cannot get out of.
Don't need water, but we would love to have electricity.
Don't have kids, so we are just hoping for a nice evening campfire and get together with all those attending. Love those "open houses"!!
We are coming from OH and Sauder did look attractive to us! However the number of sites there may be a problem if many are attending.
Ja-Do is definitely not going to have enough activities for the kids.

Keep us posted!!!

Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 04-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
One last item to remember as you vote. or as planning proceeds, there's a race at MIS the weekend of July 28. You think you can get rowdy??? I think the race crowd might show you a thing or two.

John
Old 04-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #140
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hey, now this is cooking. Cooking? Oh, did I mention that I have a interesting activity idea instead of a potluck for Saturday? Been brainstorming this one for a while, and if the dates are right and we can come, I'll tell you what it is....

John

Potential Campgrounds for the Metro Detroit Rally