Old 03-04-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
Good SAM rally in Hutchinson Kansas June21 thru 24th

some of us are good SAM members, was wandering if any members had gone to the large summer samboree. received a notice and was interested in the cost $249 for the rally with 30 amp power. this is for two people. if you want to dry camp and run or not run your gen set $119.
the wbcci rally is $200 for 30 amp power, plus rally fee of $225????
i have heard it is a outstanding rally. cant do it all.

2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
good SAM rally in Hutchinson Kansas June21 thru 24th

I have been a member of the Good Sam Club since 1980 when my RV was a then new Skyline Nomad Special Edition Light Weight 17 foot trailer. In the early days (the club was founded in 1966), there were many similarities to WBCCI in terms of the fundamental organization of the club. The similarities could probably be traced, in part, to founder Art Rouse's preference of Airstream travel trailers (Art Rouse was the publisher of Trailer Life Magazine).

I suspect that there are a number of reasons that the Rally fees are less for The Great North American RV Rally that would include:
  • Membership Base. The Good Sam membership base is reported to be in excess of one million families.
  • Corporate Sponsorhip. Unless things have changes substantially, Good Sam is still spnsored by Trailer Life Publishing/Rouse Enterprises.
  • Wider Cross-Section of RV Owners. Vendors and component manufactures are likely more willing to contribute to a rally of this type since there are multiple RV manufacturers represented along with a much wider customer/potential customer base.
  • Purpose of Rally. Unlike the WBCCI, the purpose of this rally is camp and learn about RVing while the WBCCI has the co-purpose for its International Rally of conducting its annual business meetings.
Despite having been a member of the Good Sam Club for more than twenty years (getting closer to thirty years every day), I have never been to one of its local, regional or national rallys -- my reason for membership has been for the various discount programs offered for members. On the other hand, since purchasing my Airstream and joining WBCCI in 1995 I have missed very few International Rallys and managed to attend a number of unit and regional rallys as well. I suspect that there are huge numbers of Good Sam Club members who have never attended one of their rallys.

Had this year's Great North American RV Rally not conflicted with the WBCCI International Rally, I would have been in attendance as Hutchinson is one of my all-time favorite small cities -- of course the rally would have been of even greater interest had it been held during the Kansas State Fair which is held in Hutchinson during the week following Labor Day.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Corporate Sponsorhip. Unless things have changes substantially, Good Sam is still spnsored by Trailer Life Publishing/Rouse Enterprises. ...
Kevin
Like many segments of the general RVing world, Rouse's company (including the Good Sam Club) was bought by the Affinity Group, Inc. (AGI) in 1988. Here's an article about Rouse and the AGI purchase:

RV Newswire - Camping World

Lynn