Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
Hi Everyone,

Someone please tell me, what is the big deal about burning man? Isn't it just another loud, crowded, partying concert type venue? I'm picturing a lot of 20-somethings loud and drunk of over the place. Have I got the wrong image? We've got so many fires burning in Los Angeles right now, I'm not sure I can imagine going to another one. Do I sound like the pooper at the party?

M.W.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The Burning Man Project :: Welcome Home
this should explain most of it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
Hi Everyone,

Someone please tell me, what is the big deal about burning man? Isn't it just another loud, crowded, partying concert type venue? I'm picturing a lot of 20-somethings loud and drunk of over the place. Have I got the wrong image? We've got so many fires burning in Los Angeles right now, I'm not sure I can imagine going to another one. Do I sound like the pooper at the party?

M.W.
I could speak volumes about it and others have tried but words cannot convey the meaning like experience does. In other words, you have to experience it.

You can look at pictures but that will only give you a shadow of the event. You could watch a video but that would show you only a snippet of what you can see.

Yes there is loud music there but there is also quiet sounds, some of which may be something your ears have never heard before.

Yes there are 20-somethings there but there are also 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and I have even heard 90-somethings there as well.

Yes it is crowded but there is also solitude of a greater depth than you could find in your own living-room.

Burning Man is what it is and isn't what it ain't. It is a participatory event. You, and everybody who goes is a contributing part of the event. By nature of your presence there you are contributing. The more you interact with the other participants, the more rewarding your experience.

It is the safest place on earth. You can do what you want and nobody will blink an eye. I have stood next to men who were totally naked or wearing a dress and it all fits. I have worked alongside women who were master with a set of tools and 1000 gallons of propane and it was great (Flaming Lotus Girls). I have seen leaders become followers and followers become leaders. It is a place to embrace your alter-ego or run away from it. It is the yin and yang of humanity. It is a place to explore the pieces of yourself that can only exist in your mind in the "real world".

Burning Man is NOT a spectator event. I can tell you that the folks who stand out the most are those with just shorts and a t-shirt walking around with a camera looking to take pictures of whatever they might see. Those who go only to be a tourist are destined to nat have a good time. Those waiting to be entertained will be sorely disappointed (Heather Graham went and had a bad time).

Burning man is hot, dusty, dirty (in more than one sense), clean (in other ways - try Human Carcass Wash), and even smokey.

You can find food, drink of every sort (try a pickle martini), clothes (did you lust decide that you want to wear a grass skirt but forgot to bring yours?) or practically whatever you need to exist. It is not a corporate event so if you are coming to sell your wares forget it as you will be shunned and possibly removed from the event. have something to advertize? Leave it at home.

Did you drink too much or not enough and suddenly pass out right there on the playa? Not to worry, somebody will take you to the med tent. Blow a tire on your way to centercamp for ice? No problem, somebody will help you get going. Did you just see somebody struggling to set up an art project? You will selflessly run over and help for 4 hours and get nothing back but the satisfaction that you helped build something that other will only be able to appreciate.

Burning Man is a gift economy. You gift of yourself or your things without the expectation of ever receiving anything in return other than someone's gratitude. Burning man is NOT a barter economy. Giving something only to get something back is no different than spending money and at the event the only things you can buy (legally) is ice and coffee. No other concessions exist out on the playa.

I noticed your signature states
Quote:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."- Mark Twain
You very well may be the type of person who really enjoys the event. But then again you may not. It's all up to you. And that's the best I could say about it.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks for explaining it to me so well. I'm going to read more because I think perhaps I've had the wrong perception of the event.

M.W.

"
Old 05-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I've been reading about Burning Man. I think it would be an interesting even to visit or walk through as a voyeur, but i'm not sure it's really my thing. Still, I thought this photo was quite interesting!

"
Old 05-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #26
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Hi Buttercup.

*waves*

(BTW, it was fun hanging out with you during the wee hours around the campfire at Casini Ranch.)

Great summary on Burning Man.

I'm off the waiting list and have officially signed up for Burnstream Court so I'll see you there!
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
By the way, just in case it wasn't clear, that photo was an exhibit at one of the past BM events....

"
Old 05-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
BAM!!! We'll see you there!!! We are working on some perimiter lighting for the camp. Should be awsome!!!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #29
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Fantastic Buttercup!

I count 4 trailers from the forums at Burnstream Court...
(Buttercup, Artstream, Bamcamper, Kristiana)

Anyone else???
Old 05-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
In my experience, thee are two types of people when discussing BM; those that get or understand it and those that do not. If you do not get it, having someone talk you into it or have to show you pictutures is a huge red flag in my book.

You will most likely not enjoy yourself. That's not a knock against you, just the truth. That said, it's the greatest place on earth.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Actually, I had some of mwinter's reticence but my brother (a more go-with-the-flow type) talked me in to Burningman and I had a great time, shorts and t-shirt and voyeur attitude and all.

I wouldn't recommend a first-timer (virgin, in BM parlance) commit for the entire week - 4-5 days including the burning day should do it, first time.

I don't remember the numbers - something like 30,000 people gather there in a much more orderly and manner than Quartzite, Az in the winter. Yes there is drinking and heavy drinking and dope smoking and nudity and noise but you pick and choose what you want to do and nobody is judgmental. Every year there are some arrests but for the most part people take a benign eye, and I never saw a violent or obnoxious drunk all the time I was there. Mellow, well yes. Obnoxious, no.

We probably aren't going this year, but if we do, I'll certainly lineup with Burnstream Court!
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I am interested in going. It is a long haul from Miami! I'm going to see what I can work out to get the rig there.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Burning Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur
Actually, I had some of mwinter's reticence but my brother (a more go-with-the-flow type) talked me in to Burningman and I had a great time, shorts and t-shirt and voyeur attitude and all.

I wouldn't recommend a first-timer (virgin, in BM parlance) commit for the entire week - 4-5 days including the burning day should do it, first time.

I don't remember the numbers - something like 30,000 people gather there in a much more orderly and manner than Quartzite, Az in the winter. Yes there is drinking and heavy drinking and dope smoking and nudity and noise but you pick and choose what you want to do and nobody is judgmental. Every year there are some arrests but for the most part people take a benign eye, and I never saw a violent or obnoxious drunk all the time I was there. Mellow, well yes. Obnoxious, no.

We probably aren't going this year, but if we do, I'll certainly lineup with Burnstream Court!
The 2006 BM had almost 40,000 and the best fight I observed was during the DPW parade. It was between members of the DPW. Other than that I have seen no violence in the five years I have attended.
Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I rented the DVD "Confessions of a Burning Man" to learn more about the event. It looks pretty cool, but how would you get the sand out of your Airstream?

M.W.

"
Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
fast approaching summer solstice

all this talk about getting sand out your airstream makes me wonder, did wally byam ever worry about getting the sahara out after his africa tour?!

like another poster said, the soft sand / dust is nothing compaired to the grit and grime you pick up from the road.
having never been to a burning man, i imagine it's quite a far out lunar landscape kind of festival (plus all the other stuff). after many years of experiencing glastonbury (uk) mud, i think it would be far harder cleaning up the mud than the dust. i once heard of some crazy crusties selling their boot collected glasto' mud on ebay; so having a few handfuls of the playa in your airstream may add to its value!

andy
ps i would love to go bm07. not sure my wife and kids are prepared for such an experience, not yet at least
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter
It looks pretty cool, but how would you get the sand out of your Airstream?
You could use a shop vac which has higher suction than a regular vacuum cleaner.

On a side note, if I personally worried about "stuff" getting into my Airstream, then I wouldn't even take it out of my driveway! I come home from each trip with lots of unplanned souvenirs. IMHO, Airstreams are meant to be used!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #37
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Just got an e-mail from Kelly of Burnstream Court...plans are firming up.
80 days and counting!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
magic dust

I had a Ford Ranger when I went in 2003 and 2004, up until a month or so ago when I sold it I could still see playa dust in the door jams and other nooks....seeing it in your airstream will do nothing but remind you of the great time you had.
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #39
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wish you were here

This is the unauthorized postcard I've designed for this years Burnstream Court trailer park.

Questions, comments, critiques?

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Depraida_Postcard_BMJ1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	40019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Depraida_Postcard_BMJ2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	40020  

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington Hts , Illinois
>This is the unauthorized postcard I've designed for this years Burnstream Court trailer park.

It is spectacular, Michael! You have definitely captured the spirit of the Court. Is there a chance I can get one to keep and a few to send?

See you on the playa.

...Ray AKA Arc (founder of Burnstream Court)

PS The minute there is an "authorized" anything for Burnstream, as opposed to "unauthorized," we should all pack it up and go home.
koltys is offline   Reply With Quote