Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Would you like try for staying in the same level?
Let's try to keep us altogether. 16 94.12%
Let us pick our own loop & rate level. 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #861
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgrowe View Post
Do we know what loop or section the group will be on?
Since many of the attendees wanted the ability to pick their own type of loop (premium, preferred, full), we will likely be all over the place. Unless the Fort Managers decide something different......

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #862
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
It bears mentioning again that it will be rather tough to have many of the usual rally features at this rally. Through the archive of pages of this thread, I believe there were suggestions of how to organize gatherings etc. But, many of us don't know exactly what we'll be doing when during our stay at FW. Since we all are in different loops based on site amenity preference, this adds a level of complication to community. Disney's prices for a pavilion don't help either.

My suggestion to all is to be outwardly social. Get on your bike or golf cart and go looking for other people hanging out by aluminum.

If you're willing to post publicly which site you're on, and then you could post something to this thread like: "Site___. Happy hour at 5." And wait for people to show up. Or: "going to watch fireworks tonight. Meet at the dock at____PM if you'd like to watch as a group." I bet some people will join you.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #863
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
It bears mentioning again that it will be rather tough to have many of the usual rally features at this rally. Through the archive of pages of this thread, I believe there were suggestions of how to organize gatherings etc. But, many of us don't know exactly what we'll be doing when during our stay at FW. Since we all are in different loops based on site amenity preference, this adds a level of complication to community. Disney's prices for a pavilion don't help either.

My suggestion to all is to be outwardly social. Get on your bike or golf cart and go looking for other people hanging out by aluminum.

If you're willing to post publicly which site you're on, and then you could post something to this thread like: "Site___. Happy hour at 5." And wait for people to show up. Or: "going to watch fireworks tonight. Meet at the dock at____PM if you'd like to watch as a group." I bet some people will join you.
Excellent point Jason.

Once again here is the Rally Schedule -
Sunday- Rally Officially Starts

Meet & Greet Happy Hour -
After getting setup, bring the drink and snack (if you want one) of your choice. Place to be announced later.
(This might be your only chance to meet a large portion of the attendees)

Monday -
zilch, nada, zero, nothing - plan your own festivities

Tuesday - zilch, nada, zero, nothing - plan your own festivities

Wednesday - zilch, nada, zero, nothing - plan your own festivities

Thursday - zilch, nada, zero, nothing - plan your own festivities

Friday -
Goodbye at the Campfire Sing-A-Long
Bring your marshmallows, roasting sticks, chocolate, graham crackers, hot dogs, & buns (if you want)...

Saturday - End Of Rally
Zilch, nada, nothing, zero...

I am not planning on hosting at my site, as I don't have an Airstream to display. I have had two offers to host the Meet & Greet. I will check the layout when I get there the week before and make a decision.

I have been thinking about the options for communicating at the rally. We could set up a twitter feed for use in communicating with the group, or text me and I could resend it out in a group text (this requires everyone giving me their cell numbers), we could post it here but I am unsure how many will have internet access that week, and/or we could put a board up announcing proposed event that people could check on their own.

I was wondering if the Caravan to the World was still being planned. If so I'd really like to know what time so I could get pictures of you all driving into the Fort.....

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #864
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I'd be out for the texting option. Believe it or not, we don't have free/unlimited text on our phones. Since we have smartphones and access to email, and we didn't see the need for an extra $10/month for texting.

I'm not a twitter user now, but could become one for the rally if that's the route chosen. Does broadcasting by twitter solve the issue of communication with those that might be without a computer or smartphone?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #865
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
I'd be out for the texting option. Believe it or not, we don't have free/unlimited text on our phones. Since we have smartphones and access to email, and we didn't see the need for an extra $10/month for texting.

I'm not a twitter user now, but could become one for the rally if that's the route chosen. Does broadcasting by twitter solve the issue of communication with those that might be without a computer or smartphone?

Putting a board up is the "easiest" option from a planning stand point BUT considering the size of Fort Wilderness, getting people to go look at the board several times a day isn't practical.

We may have to do both texting and twitter. Almost all phones have the ability to text (free or not), shawn says twitter requires a smart phone or computer. Any ideas?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #866
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I think we're going to see multiple systems used. Some will post to the forums. If someone organizes a twitter feed then it will get used by some, too. Others may use texts. Some will use old fashioned word if mouth and just walking by and saying hello to a stranger and that person will be connected somehow and they will pass on the goings-on.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #867
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
should I open a twitter account for this?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #868
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
New thread on this site? Slot of folks have data phones with Internet access.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #869
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgrowe View Post
New thread on this site? Slot of folks have data phones with Internet access.
Ok. Rally attendees chime in. What works best for you?

Twitter Feed
New Airforums Thread
Text messages
Board at a campsite
Word of Mouth

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #870
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Something else I need from you guys -

What type of information would you like to have upon arrival? (So I can try to supply anything you don't get upon check-in)
What type of information are you willing to share? (site number)
Copy of rally schedule?

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #871
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Nickki you have done so much, we are very excited about the week. We are open to sharing our site, phone #, wine, remodel stories, etc!

let us know if we can help with anything.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #872
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Info

Why don't you just have a Info board at one of the main loops that have been reserved. Once or twice a day we could all walk by and read it. Or bike your choice.
The park is large but nothing is that far from a central location. Sharing info should not be a problem.

geo
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #873
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Just some thoughts about meet-ups...

I like the idea of having some sort of "virtual board" to check versus going to a physical board at the campground. We'll be at the park most days but if there's a chance to run into some other Airstreamers and we're nearby then we'd love to know about it. (Personally, it would be difficult to check a board physically located at Fort Wilderness.)

I'm happy to provide our site number and phone number for texting but I feel like texting/getting (potentially a bunch of texts) while "doing the Disney thing" might be slightly cumbersome...

Posting our whereabouts and plans on this thread is OK (and preferable to info being physically posted on a board at Fort Wilderness)... I wonder if something like Google Latitude would work. You can "opt-in" to tell your whereabouts. (ie: You would know if you were near another Airstreamer/potential to meet-up.) Maybe we need a combination of these???

Here's more about Google Latitude:
A short video:

On the geeky side of things: If we wanted to use Google Latitude then we could set up a Google+ Circle for people attending the rally interested in using the app for their phone.

With Google Latitude you don't have to have a smartphone to use Google+ Circle... People without smartphone can still leave messages for the group: (Ie: "We're going to Downtown Disney for shopping and dinner at 6:30pm, anyone want to come?) Disadvantages : You have to have a google account/login to use it (might require some to sign-up if they want to use it) and it also assumes that rally-attendees have some sort of internet access/a laptop or smartphone while at the park.

Thoughts?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #874
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
We still have a problem that some have technology and some don't.

The Google Idea is good BUT we have a split group. Some have kids and some don't. Those of us with kids are a lot more restrictive in activities at the park. Not to mention a child's patience.

I do have an idea. Let's setup a physical board for those without smartphones in a central location. When one of us with technology stops by (mid to late afternoon) and checks the board, they take a picture and post it to this thread (which we are all already subscribed too).

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #875
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
Tech savy-Not

I have an old cell phone and a laptop. Text messages, email. or the Airforums would be about the only way to get in touch with us. I'm thinking that if we make connections with someone at the rally and want to meet up or do something together, we will trade cell phone numbers. Posting at a central location then sending a pic of it works too.

We already have our dining reservations set in stone, so that sort of dictates where we will be and when. We are retired, traveling to the rally with another retired couple and don't have children or grandchildren traveling with us. We will probably be spending more time at the Food and Wine Festival than is good for us. This festival probably doesn't hold a lot of appeal for kids (well, maybe big, big kids).

Can't believe that after a year WDW is almost here.

Kathy
TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #876
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Here is what I plan on doing -

Setup a physical board. If someone who has a smartphone wanders by that board, they can take a picture of any impromptu events posted by other attendees and post it to Airforums.

If you meet someone and discuss plans but don't wish to post it to the board, just exchange phone numbers or other needed info to organize. Or post it to Airforums.

Just keep in mind the scope of WDW and the Fort.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #877
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
I vote for new thread AND a central message board at a site/spot.

I am not sure what spot we have been given, but once I know we are happy to share. I kind of expected a mail envelope with tickets and reservation info... God knows I have already received enough junk mail from Disney (credit cards, vacation planners for next year, timeshare stuff to fill a wheelbarrow)!

... If the site setup works out well, I don't mind hosting a "wine tasting" social one evening after dinner. Maybe everyone bring a local "hometown" wine to share type of thing. I'll set out some dark chocolate and strawberries for palate cleansers. Again just thinking out loud. But really it sounds like we will be a semi-small group overall anyway, and I imagine out of that there are only a certain number of winos as well.
Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #878
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
I vote for new thread AND a central message board at a site/spot.

I am not sure what spot we have been given, but once I know we are happy to share. I kind of expected a mail envelope with tickets and reservation info... God knows I have already received enough junk mail from Disney (credit cards, vacation planners for next year, timeshare stuff to fill a wheelbarrow)!

... If the site setup works out well, I don't mind hosting a "wine tasting" social one evening after dinner. Maybe everyone bring a local "hometown" wine to share type of thing. I'll set out some dark chocolate and strawberries for palate cleansers. Again just thinking out loud. But really it sounds like we will be a semi-small group overall anyway, and I imagine out of that there are only a certain number of winos as well.
A new thread.... might be a good idea... everyone?

Jason should be popping in about the wino comment... before too much longer.

TAC OK-42

]
Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #879
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
In the office today, so lengthly responses will have to wait until I am home tonight. :-)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #880
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
A new thread.... might be a good idea... everyone?

Jason should be popping in about the wino comment... before too much longer.
Quote:
In the office today, so lengthly responses will have to wait until I am home tonight. :-)

see told ya....

TAC OK-42

]

Tags
disney, fort wilderness, rally